• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Transom drain plug stuck

yall_mahaw

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length
We took the boat (2022 212SD) out yesterday and everything went great. Pulled the boat out and as we were going through the post boating tasks, I could not get the transom drain plug out. It turns a quarter of a turn in either direction. I asked the admiral if it had given her any difficulties going in and she says it didn't. I have tried using needle nose pliers on it for additional leverage, but have stopped short of really applying a lot of pressure for fear of breaking it (looks like it is a shiny metal look plastic) If I jiggle it while trying to turn it, I can get a few drops of water out, but still nothing more than a quarter turn. When it does turn that quarter turn, I do not feel anything rough or catching on the threads. I have been searching, but haven't come across anything similar.

Short or just replacing the entire thing, looking for ideas... If it does come down to replacing it, it looks like there are just two screws holding it on, would the group suggest that I use some 4200 on the new one? Will be my first work on the hull below the waterline.

RC250

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
same thing happened to me i ended up using a crescent wrench to takeit out it felt like it was going to break bu it didn't turns out there were some metal shavings in there and it took a couple more times to get rid of all of them i put a lil grease on the treads after the first time to make it easy to take out.

yall_mahaw

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length
Thanks @RC250 After reading your reply I went back out and gave it a lot more force and … it moved! Bad part is that it is still stuck in there half threaded and is going to have to be replaced. I got the plug about halfway out and it binds there. Apply some more force and it eventually breaks free only to get stuck in the same bind as it comes back around. I repeated that enough times that it should have been completely unscrewed but was still only about halfway out. I‘m assuming that the threads are ruined now. It needed to make an end of the season warranty trip to the dealer anyway, I guess I’ll schedule it for sooner rather than later.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The plugs in the engine bay are the same as the transom bilge on my boat. You may want to check that out on yours.

yall_mahaw

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length
Thanks @buckbuck Not sure if they would work with the design changes on the '21 and up boats but that is a great idea! At this point I am certain that the threads are destroyed by whatever is in there and will let the dealer tackle. Appreciate the advice all!

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The plug should be made of a softer material than the drain threads. The drain threads should be fine. Try the plugs in the engine bay or the ski locker. They are all the same size.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length