• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trip Planning Boating Centric Ocean

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We were talking last night and the Admiral wants to take the boat out to the ocean somewhere later in summer if feasible. Hopefully where I can find some decent water for my first time in the Ocean piloting a boat. We live in Michigan so everything is a drive, obviously the closer the better. Florida would be optimal of course but it is the longest drive south for us.

Any suggestions on anything closer on the east coast maybe? We are right outside of Detroit.

I would love to take the Bimini trip in the future but being close to the Great Lakes I think I would like to go out on at least one before trucking to the coast. Your close to Huron & Erie, maybe a trip out on one of those would work for first big water.

I have been all over around here, on Erie, Huron, Lake St. Clair and next week Lake Michigan. Have no issues with the Big Water. Want to be on the Ocean, never been on a boat in the Ocean, just flown over it.

Due east to NJ would probably be the closest. I have been boating extensively in South Jersey for years. I normally do a run about 60 miles from Long Beach Island to Avalon twice a summer. I mostly stay in the Intercoastal but sometimes go offshore to avoid all the no-wake zones from Atlantic city to Longport. I have also gone offshore from Avalon to Strathmere. Both of these trips are about 10 miles along the coast. Plenty of inland and ocean opportunites in NJ.

FWIW it seems like a long way to go just to take a boat into the ocean. We generally have more fun inland in the bays and intercoastal. Also you may trailer your boat all the way to the coast only to be limited by small craft advisories with the related sea states that would preclude you from really doing anything in the Ocean.

Bottom line - make sure wherever you go you have inland bay and intercoastal options in case the sea state is too rough.

We were talking last night and the Admiral wants to take the boat out to the ocean somewhere later in summer if feasible. Hopefully where I can find some decent water for my first time in the Ocean piloting a boat. We live in Michigan so everything is a drive, obviously the closer the better. Florida would be optimal of course but it is the longest drive south for us.

Any suggestions on anything closer on the east coast maybe? We are right outside of Detroit.

Florida panhandle, would be the “closest” Florida spot for you, and there is some absolutely great boating. Probably shave 9-10 hours off of going to South Florida. We spend a lot of our time in the sound between Pensacola and Destin. Well protected, lots of sandbars and little islands to explore. Crab Island has that beautiful water, there is also some great snorkeling at the East Pass jetties. If the weather patterns are right the gulf can be very calm.

For the noob in me, please define what is considered Ocean, vs. Bay vs. Intercoastal and some pros or cons of each, if you can?

A bay is generally more protected than the ocean, and the intracoastal is quite a lot more protected, only having inlets in to the ocean along its path. Just to entice you some more, this is me poking out in the Gulf near Pensacola this past May.

C709EF8A-AE73-4C22-B696-05D8B943A7F9.jpeg
This is an example of the intracoastal down there, similar location but closer to Destin

E4E869F4-9F2D-4D7A-A13B-4BB42B1839D8.jpeg

For the noob in me, please define what is considered Ocean, vs. Bay vs. Intercoastal and some pros or cons of each, if you can?

Go here: Google Maps

Ocean is obvious, Bays are marked, but also include the saltwater between the mainland and barrier islands. Intracoastal is basically the route you go north to south in the bays, estuaries, etc. If you wanted to navigate from Ocean City at the south to Long Beach Island in the north but did not go into the ocean, that'd be the intracoastal.

It's a nice area for Ocean boating, usually fairly calm - but as mentioned, most of the fun is to be had in the bays and coves. We go out of Brigantine quite often, and that inlet is easy to navigate. Some of the other Jersey inlets can be tricky and are more known to be rough.

Last edited:
Inlet between Atlantic City and Brigantine:

jmFvD7J.jpg

Offshore from AC
TX9NiYy.jpg

Water ain't as pretty as Florida, but its clean and a nice change of scenery from the rivers.
4SEpsj3.jpg

We'll be back down in FL Late July/early August for 2 weeks, if you are down there at that time let me know. My brother in law has an SX230, we get together and tube, hang out, etc. It's a blast.

In general the larger the body of water the more conditions will vary. If you have just been boating on smaller lakes you will need to be prepared for the changing tides and also potentially strong currents which are always fun trying to dock or recover a jet boat. Currents vary mostly based on the tides and reduce greatly when the tides are about to shift. Mid tide is when they are usually the strongest but locations will vary somewhat.

Here are some quick pros and cons:

Ocean - Pros: Usually 10-15 degrees cooler air temp. Less boats around. Depending on conditions can be a lot of fun. No worries about water depth.
Cons: Conditions vary greatly although it is usually predictable a day or two out or longer for large weather systems. Even on seemingly nice days the sea state can be too much for small boats. Poor conditions can last multiple days but you may luck out in the summer. Longer response time if you need any type of aid.

Intercostal waterways - Pros: Usually well marked with channel buoys and usually good draft. Can be very narrow or just a marked path through a wide bay.

Cons: Lots of boat traffic which may prohibit watersports. Plenty of knuckleheads anchored in the channel expect you to avoid them or slow to no wake speeds. Can quickly get very shallow if you venture out of the channel.

Bays: Bays can have many of the pros and cons of both the ocean and intercostal. They can be shallow or deep, can be very choppy or flat as glass. You may be the only boat out if early midweek or can be one of hundreds of boats if on a busy weekend.

Definitely obtain nautical charts for where you plan on boating. Study them and learn what the symbols mean. Also make sure you have good set of binoculars with you – it will help to read the channel buoy numbers. If in unfamiliar waters its always best to go out just after peak low tide – if you do get stuck the rising tide will help. You will also notice obstructions that may not be visible at higher tides. The last thing you want to do is bottom out when the tide is going out, you may be stuck for a long time.

Also get a tide APP for your phone. In shallow bays your boating life is determined by the tides.

Last edited:
Fantastic, a lot of great information. I think I get it now.

Those pictures look awesome.

71589BAF-3D3C-4DAF-B346-3945F3B39FE8.jpeg
1DD35A93-D757-4137-B146-8946A6555587.jpeg

Destin/Crab Island if you needed some enticing by that beautiful water. Be mindful of the weather, especially offshore. It can go from beautiful to nasty storm in minutes. We have seen all sorts of wildlife out here to. Dolphins, Stingrays, big fish, saw a hammerhead shark on the pier yesterday, still trying to find a manatee. Also of note, later in summer is hurricane season, I would get trip insurance or make sure of your hotels cancelation policy, whether you go East or Gulf coast.

I was just looking at Pictures of Crab Island on the Internet. It looks great, including the floating bar/restaurant. That water is awesome compared to what I get up here. I am ready to go right this minute!

I was just looking at Pictures of Crab Island on the Internet. It looks great, including the floating bar/restaurant. That water is awesome compared to what I get up here. I am ready to go right this minute!

Unfortunately no liquor sales on the water, the food is pretty overpriced, we have gotten some ice cream sandwiches from the little boats that go around selling stuff. I grew up on the lakes in the North East, the water clarity down here is amazing. You can easily see 20-30ft down, and the boating season is much longer. After Labor Day the crowds are significantly smaller, and it stays hot well into October, but it’s also prime Hurricane season.

Well, I don't think they have the floating bar/restaurant anymore. Something to do with environmental impact and such for 2020 and beyond. Someone local can comment further. In reality though, we have grown somewhat weary of the "rental chaos" that happens there, unfortunately anyone can rent a pontoon and I've seen more than one bumping into boats and ultimately floating out the channel with the lowering tide.

I have never boated there, but I lived near it for a number of years - the Chesapeake Bay / Washington DC area. You got everything except for clear water and sand. You have a giant bay, can trailer or boat to open ocean, lots of places to visit by boat, big rivers like the Potomac and things to do / see if the weather is bad.

We went to Jamaica two years ago and stayed on the Northern Shore at a family resort. The water was awesome, salty and so clear. My first time back in the ocean in 35+ years. Looking forward to boating in it.

Unfortunately no liquor sales on the water, the food is pretty overpriced, we have gotten some ice cream sandwiches from the little boats that go around selling stuff. I grew up on the lakes in the North East, the water clarity down here is amazing. You can easily see 20-30ft down, and the boating season is much longer. After Labor Day the crowds are significantly smaller, and it stays hot well into October, but it’s also prime Hurricane season

For us it is about the experience, don't mind dropping a bit extra bucks on some things. I do understand it getting pricey though, everything around Lake St. Clair here is getting outrageous, since everyone is now boating.

Back