• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bimini 2019 July 7th (Bahia Mar) depart July 8th for Bimini return July 13th

afsigma21

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
2600 miles later I have pulled in my driveway, I am beat. If I get to do this trip again I learned a LOT that will make it easier!

Had a great group of flexible people to cross with. Lots of non jet boaters and a tag along that happened to be staying at Bahia Mar and was about to go alone, Dave and crew were really great people too!!

Going to Bimini was probably one of the easiest crossings ever.
Coming back was rough, but nothing worse than I boated on Lake MI.
My confidence is soaring :)

No damage or problems with boat, its dirty, going to take a few cleanings to get it looking good again. My makeshift 8' antenna mount on the ski rack was MUCH better than expected.
My Tablet GPS performed better than expected, but there was a couple times it was not bright enough.
Truck made it all that way (2600 miles) without any issue that I can tell, not bad for a Ram 1500 with 155k on her.

There is SO MUCH valuable information on this forum on how to do this trip NO ONE should be nervous about it, IF they are willing to read and prepare! Our group was more first timers than not and everyone was well prepared! I had never done this before and I was EASILY able to organize a small group of people to go together and change the schedule based on weather. It was great!

While prepping for the trip, we had all kinds of non boaters tell us we were crazy and it was dangerous and the Bermuda triangle jokes were a million x10. It was funny when we went to Divers Direct at Dania Beach for some snorkel gear the VERY HELPFUL lady working there says "Bimini, sounds fun, have a great time" totally the opposite reaction from 'Ohio people' LOL

Honeymoon Harbor is really really the coolest thing ever, if you have not gone to Bimini, and you go JUST FOR THIS, its worth it!!

All in all we had a great time.

AJack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So much truth to this. I had non-boat owners telling that 28’ is the minimum length to make the crossing. I think with the knowledge on this site and individual preparation, along with all of the weather advice, the risk is mitigated to a low enough level.

Next year will be easier on the wallet now that the boat is equipped.

While prepping for the trip, we had all kinds of non boaters tell us we were crazy and it was dangerous and the Bermuda triangle jokes were a million x10. It was funny when we went to Divers Direct at Dania Beach for some snorkel gear the VERY HELPFUL lady working there says "Bimini, sounds fun, have a great time" totally the opposite reaction from 'Ohio people' LOL

Honeymoon Harbor is really really the coolest thing ever, if you have not gone to Bimini, and you go JUST FOR THIS, its worth it!!

All in all we had a great time.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Maybe the folks from Ohio have been reading page 137 ;)

Attachments

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great pics!

How could it be so calm?? Was it that way on the way out and back, I thought you had some rougher water coming back.
That looks incredible!
Well, explains those 2.5 hr crossings!!!
Awesome pics, thanks for sharing!

--

afsigma21

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Calm was only on way TO bimini. Way back was rough.
2.5 hours on the way back in rough conditions explained best by my son.

At 24 or slower we land in between the waves and get beat up, at 29 we land in the middle of the next wave and it hits less hard.

It worked, whether that's the real reason, not sure, but faster was less pounding.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Calm was only on way TO bimini. Way back was rough.
2.5 hours on the way back in rough conditions explained best by my son.

At 24 or slower we land in between the waves and get beat up, at 29 we land in the middle of the next wave and it hits less hard.

It worked, whether that's the real reason, not sure, but faster was less pounding.
ok that's what I thought it was! I was looking for some airborne pics, lol.

--

Denis ‘ATAdventure’

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
On the way there it was calm enough that i could use my camera with both hands, zoomed all the way to 105mm, standing still enough to make a steady shot! And this isn’t even close to one of those new professional lock on steady or fast cams!
Thee biggest wake was from boats in front!
But on the way back last part of the crossing i could hardly hold on myself

Mjolsen74

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
who had the 242x? Curious how it did gas wise? I heard the 242x jets are setup more for wake and not for speed/cruising? I've followed this thread and really excited for all but a bit nervous to think about the journey..

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
who had the 242x? Curious how it did gas wise? I heard the 242x jets are setup more for wake and not for speed/cruising? I've followed this thread and really excited for all but a bit nervous to think about the journey..
I've crossed in my 2016 242X 3 times now and no issues. I have noticed it is a little worse on the MPG - I attribute that to the huge bimini adding significant drag. This year was our worst mileage yet (arrived with 20% remaining) - this I attribute to taking 5 adults (vs 2) and food for 5 adults, clothing for 5 adults and a TON of fishing gear (the deep drop weights alone weigh 60lbs!!!!)

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I've crossed in my 2016 242X 3 times now and no issues. I have noticed it is a little worse on the MPG - I attribute that to the huge bimini adding significant drag. This year was our worst mileage yet (arrived with 20% remaining) - this I attribute to taking 5 adults (vs 2) and food for 5 adults, clothing for 5 adults and a TON of fishing gear (the deep drop weights alone weigh 60lbs!!!!)
@Julian you don’t have SurfPoint though. I think that may be what he was curious about.

The huge bimini must play a role though. I know I can sure tell a difference just getting on the trailer on a windy day. Lol

tim h

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
On that Scout...
What is under the cover at the stern of the boat ??

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Mjolsen74

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@Julian you don’t have SurfPoint though. I think that may be what he was curious about.

The huge bimini must play a role though. I know I can sure tell a difference just getting on the trailer on a windy day. Lol
@BigAbe75 -- you're right.. I forgot it has it's own "special name" LOL ;)

@Julian - How much extra gas did you have on deck? you said 20% of original fillup? wow thats not bad!

SlowDorado

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
On that Scout...
What is under the cover at the stern of the boat ??
Magma grill. Works great. Out of the way when I don’t need it and I don’t have to worry about putting it on and taking it off.

It doesn’t get in the way of pulling tubes either.