• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tuning a TR1 - Riva Tuner

brian86992

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I was looking into performance upgrades for my TR1s which have run out of power for wakeboarding and wake surfing. I shot an email over to Riva (who makes a tuner for the TR1) and they had a helpful reply I will post here for everyone's information:

Brian:

The largest part of the performance improvement possible with the tunes we make for the TR-1 engine is dependent on the higher RPM limit of those tunes and the use of a jet pump / impeller combination that reduces engine torque load sufficiently for the engine to approach those higher RPM limits yet works efficiently enough to increase speed.

We do not test impellers for jet boats so we do not know if an impeller is available for your FSH that fits those requirements.

There is no question that the tunes would function in the jet boat ECU the same way that they function in the PWC ECU. But without sure knowledge of a jet pump/ impeller combination that works in jet boats, we can’t recommend them.
I appreciate the straightforward response from Riva.

If anyone wants to tackle the performance parts for Yamaha jet boats market, you have at least one customer right here.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I was looking into performance upgrades for my TR1s which have run out of power for wakeboarding and wake surfing. I shot an email over to Riva (who makes a tuner for the TR1) and they had a helpful reply I will post here for everyone's information:

I appreciate the straightforward response from Riva.

If anyone wants to tackle the performance parts for Yamaha jet boats market, you have at least one customer right here.
@brian86992 ....YES. A while back I posted my frustration at trying to get a few - what I thought were straightforward questions answered - finally I e.mailed RIVA in Florida.....IMMEDIATE response. NO fooling around with "maybe" answers. They replied (within 24 hours) with straight-up facts. I clicked on their link for info up-dates! These guys KNOW jets and modifications!!!!! :cool:

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I am just curious why you think twin TR1s 'has run out of power'? How big are the people being towed?

brian86992

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
swatski had his boat I believe with a RIVA tune, he's not checked in lately so you may try to search some of his old posts, I remember several posts and he seemed very happy with it,

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

brian86992

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I'm asking more out of my boat for water sports than most. Sure it'll pull a rider with no ballast but when I'm trying to shape the wake it puts a lot of load on the engines.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I'm asking more out of my boat for water sports than most. Sure it'll pull a rider with no ballast but when I'm trying to shape the wake it puts a lot of load on the engines.
Sounds like you bought the wrong boat lol

brian86992

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I've been waiting for a center console wake boat for years 😅 The Yami is doing the job fine right now. Just looking to squeeze what I can out of it.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I was searching the net this morning looking for more information about up tuning a TR-1 engine and this thread came up in my duck duck search… I have been exchanging emails with RIVA about their tunes, what RIVA is doing is increasing the stochiomatic characteristics of these engines by reducing the load by using an impeller with a lower pitch and then increasing the rev limiter to 8300 to be able to move more air. Which is one way to increase air flow ergo burn more fuel and make more power without doing anything mechanical to the engines.

I have zero desire to raise the rpm limit on my engines, especially when I know that more stochiomatic flow is attainable another way that has greater potential power wise and will be more efficient. I get why RIVA sells their tuners this way, its plug and play.

@brian86992, if you want more low end pulling power you may want to talk to Leading Edge impellers or Impros about a lower pitch impeller, better yet, a twin screw impeller with lower pitch. You will lose some top speed but your waking ability will be much better, or read on for better results than just a tune.

A little more info here, I could be wrong on this but I’m pretty sure this info is correct. The family of Yamaha three cylinder engines are the YXZ-a 1000cc mainly a street bike engine with the same cams that come in the TR-1 engines. The Genesis a 998cc turbo charged snowmobile engine 172hp, and the Viper a 1049cc engine that is used in the Yamaha Wolverine Side by Side and their snowmobiles. What is pertinent, and what I am 100% sure of, is that the TR-1 is the marine variant of the Viper with the YXZ cams, I’m pretty sure the TR-1 uses these cams for emissions reasons, low overlap, lift and duration keep emissions lower than the Viper cams which have more lift, duration, and overlap.

Note: The TR-1 has an open loop fuel injection system, as does the rest of the Yamaha water craft engines.

Brian Crower makes cams that will work in the TR-1. But, the BC stage 2 cam 0951 is not a drop in cam for the TR-1 engine. Brian put me in contact with an Australian fellow who modded a TR-1 engine for use in a mini jet, which looks and sounds pretty trick, in addition to the BC stage 2 cams he put in higher compression pistons. The short version is that the BC stage 2 cams are identical between intake and exhaust, but the cams need to be flipped on the engine, the casting ring needs to be machined for the cam position sensor, and the intake cam gear has to be slotted to get it timed correctly. From an engine mod perspective this is a pretty minor thing to do. I have already spoken with a gunsmith machinist that is a hot rodder enthusiast and he said he could make these mods and time the cam gears with ease.

These cams by themselves will increase seal level performance of the TR-1 by 15% at sea level, no tunes, air box mods etc… if one were to add some fuel then one can expect 25% more power at sea level and thus get the most out of these cams. The BC stage 2 cams accomplish this by; using a steeper ramp angle to open the valves faster, more lift, more duration, 8* more overlap (aka clean out) and faster closing ramps, all of these attributes increase the stochiomatic ability of the engine, across the rpm range, meaning you have increased the efficiency of the air pump (engine) and can therefore burn more fuel to make more power across the rpm range of the engine. I am mainly looking for mid range power to be able to carry MORE pitch on the impeller at high density altitudes to keep the revs down and efficiency as high as possible at best cruise speed and rpm.

Making mechanical modifications in an engine like this is the best way to get more performance out of them, especially when one knows that there are other variants in much higher states of tune than where I want to go with this project.

In my emails back and forth with RIVA I have learned the following, RIVA does have a tune for the TR-1 engine as mentioned in @brian86992 original post by decreasing pitch on the impeller and raising the rev limiter by 300 rpm. RIVA also has a Viper engine map which is promising. RIVA also makes a 02 sensor kit for monitoring the AFR (air fuel ratio) and is also a data logger. Using this device one can record AFR’s while running, and then send that file to RIVA and they will feather the tune for your engine. I would love to have a real time auto tune wherein the tuner is goes in between the oem injector plug from the ecu and the injector, and uses the 02 sensor in realtime to adjust fueling to get the desired AFR, this is how your gasoline powered car works, Dobek used to make an auto tune but is no longer Dobek, is some other name, and they do the same thing that RIVA does with the 02 sensor. Dynojet makes a auto tuner that works with the Viper and YXZ engines, but, that requires the YXZ / Viper ECU to be used as well as the plugs, I should note here that both the YXZ and the Viper used a closed loop fuel injection system to the best of my knowledge. I am not willing to give up my no wake / cruise assist by using a different ecu, I‘m not sure that is the case, I don’t know how the no wake / cruise assist is activated, just stating that fact.

So at the moment, it appears that RIVA is the only game in town for the TR-1, unless the tuner the Australian guy uses can be used. Next on the list is to contact him again and find out how he increased the fuel in his engine project and whether or not that system is a closed loop or not.

This is a project I’m researching for next winter, when my YES warranty is almost completely used up.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I just learned I was using the wrong term for what was in my mind…. I was thinking volumetric efficiency, but was using the term stochiomatic… sorry for the confusion.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There was a guy who bought the complete riva upgrade kit for a EX Deluxe ski which includes an intake, Exhaust, impeller, and a reflash tune.
So he tried one part at a time and took to the water. First intake, no change, then the Exhaust, still nothing significant. Then the relash tune, better but not great. The impeller was the only significant change. Now this was on a very light ski with the TR1. Not the TR1 ho, which is i believe in the boats.
I thought about getting it for my wifes EX deluxe but decided the gains weren't worth the expense and the ski is fun enough as is

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
There was a guy who bought the complete riva upgrade kit for a EX Deluxe ski which includes an intake, Exhaust, impeller, and a reflash tune.
So he tried one part at a time and took to the water. First intake, no change, then the Exhaust, still nothing significant. Then the relash tune, better but not great. The impeller was the only significant change. Now this was on a very light ski with the TR1. Not the TR1 ho, which is i believe in the boats.
I thought about getting it for my wifes EX deluxe but decided the gains weren't worth the expense and the ski is fun enough as is
Thanks for the info! I had forgotten about the HO designation !

Does your wife’s EX deluxe have the HO version?

I did pick up a set of used intake manifolds so I can remove the ribbon.

Here is this thread.. https://jetboaters.net/threads/tr-1-ribbon-delete.12546/page-3

RIVA intake manifold upgrade kit. Apparently riva thinks the step left behind after ribbon removal is an issue..

Here is the drop in air filter. This netted me 150-200 rpms.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the info! I had forgotten about the HO designation !

Does your wife’s EX deluxe have the HO version?

I did pick up a set of used intake manifolds so I can remove the ribbon.

Here is this thread.. https://jetboaters.net/threads/tr-1-ribbon-delete.12546/page-3

RIVA intake manifold upgrade kit. Apparently riva thinks the step left behind after ribbon removal is an issue..

Here is the drop in air filter. This netted me 150-200 rpms.
No the EXs except for the EXR are all non ho engines

Corsair21111

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was searching the net this morning looking for more information about up tuning a TR-1 engine and this thread came up in my duck duck search… I have been exchanging emails with RIVA about their tunes, what RIVA is doing is increasing the stochiomatic characteristics of these engines by reducing the load by using an impeller with a lower pitch and then increasing the rev limiter to 8300 to be able to move more air. Which is one way to increase air flow ergo burn more fuel and make more power without doing anything mechanical to the engines.

I have zero desire to raise the rpm limit on my engines, especially when I know that more stochiomatic flow is attainable another way that has greater potential power wise and will be more efficient. I get why RIVA sells their tuners this way, its plug and play.

@brian86992, if you want more low end pulling power you may want to talk to Leading Edge impellers or Impros about a lower pitch impeller, better yet, a twin screw impeller with lower pitch. You will lose some top speed but your waking ability will be much better, or read on for better results than just a tune.

A little more info here, I could be wrong on this but I’m pretty sure this info is correct. The family of Yamaha three cylinder engines are the YXZ-a 1000cc mainly a street bike engine with the same cams that come in the TR-1 engines. The Genesis a 998cc turbo charged snowmobile engine 172hp, and the Viper a 1049cc engine that is used in the Yamaha Wolverine Side by Side and their snowmobiles. What is pertinent, and what I am 100% sure of, is that the TR-1 is the marine variant of the Viper with the YXZ cams, I’m pretty sure the TR-1 uses these cams for emissions reasons, low overlap, lift and duration keep emissions lower than the Viper cams which have more lift, duration, and overlap.

Note: The TR-1 has an open loop fuel injection system, as does the rest of the Yamaha water craft engines.

Brian Crower makes cams that will work in the TR-1. But, the BC stage 2 cam 0951 is not a drop in cam for the TR-1 engine. Brian put me in contact with an Australian fellow who modded a TR-1 engine for use in a mini jet, which looks and sounds pretty trick, in addition to the BC stage 2 cams he put in higher compression pistons. The short version is that the BC stage 2 cams are identical between intake and exhaust, but the cams need to be flipped on the engine, the casting ring needs to be machined for the cam position sensor, and the intake cam gear has to be slotted to get it timed correctly. From an engine mod perspective this is a pretty minor thing to do. I have already spoken with a gunsmith machinist that is a hot rodder enthusiast and he said he could make these mods and time the cam gears with ease.

These cams by themselves will increase seal level performance of the TR-1 by 15% at sea level, no tunes, air box mods etc… if one were to add some fuel then one can expect 25% more power at sea level and thus get the most out of these cams. The BC stage 2 cams accomplish this by; using a steeper ramp angle to open the valves faster, more lift, more duration, 8* more overlap (aka clean out) and faster closing ramps, all of these attributes increase the stochiomatic ability of the engine, across the rpm range, meaning you have increased the efficiency of the air pump (engine) and can therefore burn more fuel to make more power across the rpm range of the engine. I am mainly looking for mid range power to be able to carry MORE pitch on the impeller at high density altitudes to keep the revs down and efficiency as high as possible at best cruise speed and rpm.

Making mechanical modifications in an engine like this is the best way to get more performance out of them, especially when one knows that there are other variants in much higher states of tune than where I want to go with this project.

In my emails back and forth with RIVA I have learned the following, RIVA does have a tune for the TR-1 engine as mentioned in @brian86992 original post by decreasing pitch on the impeller and raising the rev limiter by 300 rpm. RIVA also has a Viper engine map which is promising. RIVA also makes a 02 sensor kit for monitoring the AFR (air fuel ratio) and is also a data logger. Using this device one can record AFR’s while running, and then send that file to RIVA and they will feather the tune for your engine. I would love to have a real time auto tune wherein the tuner is goes in between the oem injector plug from the ecu and the injector, and uses the 02 sensor in realtime to adjust fueling to get the desired AFR, this is how your gasoline powered car works, Dobek used to make an auto tune but is no longer Dobek, is some other name, and they do the same thing that RIVA does with the 02 sensor. Dynojet makes a auto tuner that works with the Viper and YXZ engines, but, that requires the YXZ / Viper ECU to be used as well as the plugs, I should note here that both the YXZ and the Viper used a closed loop fuel injection system to the best of my knowledge. I am not willing to give up my no wake / cruise assist by using a different ecu, I‘m not sure that is the case, I don’t know how the no wake / cruise assist is activated, just stating that fact.

So at the moment, it appears that RIVA is the only game in town for the TR-1, unless the tuner the Australian guy uses can be used. Next on the list is to contact him again and find out how he increased the fuel in his engine project and whether or not that system is a closed loop or not.

This is a project I’m researching for next winter, when my YES warranty is almost completely used up.
This is great info. I would be all over 2 sets of these cams! If a 25% increase in power is available at sea level with a proper tune that means these 115hp units will gain approximately 28.75hp for a total of 143.75 per motor. With the potential to have a tad over 285hp on tap these 21’ and 22’ TR-1 powered boats would really be a lot more fun. Even with the lesser 15% gain in power that’s still an increase of 17.25hp. Equaling 132.25hp per unit for a total of 264.5hp. 40-45mph speeds would definitely be attainable more a few people and gear on board.

I’m very anxious to see where this goes.

You mention your YES warranty running out. I’m curious, have you ever had any issues with your boat that required the usage of the warranty?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
This is great info. I would be all over 2 sets of these cams! If a 25% increase in power is available at sea level with a proper tune that means these 115hp units will gain approximately 28.75hp for a total of 143.75 per motor. With the potential to have a tad over 285hp on tap these 21’ and 22’ TR-1 powered boats would really be a lot more fun. Even with the lesser 15% gain in power that’s still an increase of 17.25hp. Equaling 132.25hp per unit for a total of 264.5hp. 40-45mph speeds would definitely be attainable more a few people and gear on board.

I’m very anxious to see where this goes.

You mention your YES warranty running out. I’m curious, have you ever had any issues with your boat that required the usage of the warranty?
Its early days right now. Just doing a lot of homework, I‘d say we are about 80% done with the home work. The cams from BC are identical to each other, meaning the intake and exhaust are the same, so its looking like getting 4 intake cams as they have the ring built into them that a timing slot will have to be cut in for the cam position sensor. I also bought a couple of used intake manifolds to take the ribbons out of, and an exhaust manifold, collector and stinger, have to find a place to put an 02 sensor in. The exhaust manifold is water cooled from the head down to and through the collector, before picking up more cooling water and the mixing elbow. There is a boss built into the collector that I hope goes all the way through that casting into the dry exhaust area, so that would be a good place to install a wide band 02 sensor which will feed its info to a data logger to check the tune and then be used to give to the tuner to add or subtract fuel.

I’m really hoping to get the 132 number at sea level so my hp at altitude will be 100 hp, a gain of roughly 16hp per engine and 32 overall.. if its the larger number well all just the same, I won’t be putting these engines on a dyno, the proof will be how much of an impeller can it spin up to near rated rpm. If I can use the OEM impellers and get 7600 or so I’ll be very happy as when I go to the Missouri river it will be spinning 8000 rpm.

My YES warranty runs out a year from July. No, knock on wood, I have not had to take my boat back for any warranty work. There some things that I fixed that were not that big of a deal, but not a whole lot.

At the end of the day, I’d really like to be able to provide this tune up resource, the machinist I‘m using will hopefully use a cnc machine and save the program to cut the cam gears and the cam positing sensor slot.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
May be easier to just get yourself a 222 FSH with the new 1.9L and call it good :)

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
May be easier to just get yourself a 222 FSH with the new 1.9L and call it good :)
I agree….there are a few draw backs storage wise and of course a lot more money… I was excited to see the pricing that you posted about on the 222 FSH sport at the show.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Bigger Boat show this weekend, in Detroit, I will go on Saturday. ALSO, if you finance, Yamaha has some good offers right now. I am looking at taking advantage of their low intro rate. Better than what I can get at the bank or credit union. Their 5 yr intro rate is nice. Real close to grabbing a 252 FSH from Ryan. Just need to work through some internal feelings first :)

1706112351134.png

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Right on…. I hope the karate match in your head comes to a honorable conclusion and you are able to work a great deal with Ryan. Also loving the 2 years of extra coverage as well.