• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Unusable fuel?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Found this nifty little device on VP’s website…

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
That's cool, I wonder if flow is better or worse with it.
I couldn’t say for sure but from the video it looks pretty fast. The big thing from a safety view point is that 1-the vent is incorporated into valve so no fuel spilling out of the vent, and 2-if the jug was inadvertently knocked over dropped while fueling and the trigger is released the fuel flow from the can stops, sorta like my favorite coffee travel mug. You’d only need the one main cap with this installed on it for fuel dispensing.

VP also has extra main caps and vent caps for sale on their website. All I’d need is the little red plugs to seal off my main caps if I was going to use my jugs on the boat. I don’t like the idea of the fill hoses being on the main caps for boat usage, safer that way, I’d rather just have one main cap with that valve or a hose on it for dispensing fuel into the Moeller tank.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I would think the boats are designed so that while under way probably 2° bow rise you will be able to use most of the fuel. I ran mine down to 1% one time and the port engine quit at the dock. I put it on the trailer with the starboard engine. The port engine started and ran once on the trailer. My owners manual shows a tank capacity of 52 gallons, I put 51 gallons of fuel in the tank that time. So that’s pretty good if you ask me.

I think maintaining at minimum of 10% reserve is prudent but I’d test that number to be sure.
That’s a 10% reserve of the 50 gallons…not the 52.

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I couldn’t say for sure but from the video it looks pretty fast. The big thing from a safety view point is that 1-the vent is incorporated into valve so no fuel spilling out of the vent, and 2-if the jug was inadvertently knocked over dropped while fueling and the trigger is released the fuel flow from the can stops, sorta like my favorite coffee travel mug. You’d only need the one main cap with this installed on it for fuel dispensing.

VP also has extra main caps and vent caps for sale on their website. All I’d need is the little red plugs to seal off my main caps if I was going to use my jugs on the boat. I don’t like the idea of the fill hoses being on the main caps for boat usage, safer that way, I’d rather just have one main cap with that valve or a hose on it for dispensing fuel into the Moeller tank.
In the video the flow actually looks slower to me. My hose is filled entirely with fuel when filling any only takes 90 seconds to empty the can, theres looks like its trickeling into the air bubble in the line so much slower.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Dang, 1.95 mpg…that’s some real world mpg right there!
Did almost the same run yesterday as January minus 20 miles as my current marina was 20 miles closer. 2 Adults, full take of fuel, Minimal swell 0-1 foot at full throttle most of the way and averaged 2.4 mpg.

I didnt bring fuel cans with me but just got the Tera Pump for my VP racing cans it makes filling up with cans so much easier even though I had my fill time down to about about a min for 5 gal with a homemade hose for the VP Cans, They still leaked and alot of fumes while storing. The Tera Pump Auto shut off was nice too. I was able to get boat prepped for launching while the pump was transfering fuel.

Attachments

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Did almost the same run yesterday as January minus 20 miles as my current marina was 20 miles closer. 2 Adults, full take of fuel, Minimal swell 0-1 foot at full throttle most of the way and averaged 2.4 mpg.

I didnt bring fuel cans with me but just got the Tera Pump for my VP racing cans it makes filling up with cans so much easier even though I had my fill time down to about about a min for 5 gal with a homemade hose for the VP Cans, They still leaked and alot of fumes while storing. The Tera Pump Auto shut off was nice too. I was able to get boat prepped for launching while the pump was transfering fuel.
What a difference sea conditions make and a little less load!

Did you decide to just stay w the cans instead of the 22 gallon tank?

Dumping one of those VP cans in 60-90 seconds is pretty good! Did you install a larger hose and enlarge the vent ? If I haven’t mentioned it already some people enlarge the vent and put a stiff nylon tube into the vent hole up to about an inch from the bottom to help the venting process. Seems like you’d want to drill a couple holes in the tube close to the top as well since you’d have that tube full of fuel when you first start to pour.

Thanks for following up with some more real world data. 2.4 mpg at wot is pretty darn good! I assume you were running high 30’s nayyybe low 40’s?

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
What a difference sea conditions make and a little less load!

Did you decide to just stay w the cans instead of the 22 gallon tank?

Dumping one of those VP cans in 60-90 seconds is pretty good! Did you install a larger hose and enlarge the vent ? If I haven’t mentioned it already some people enlarge the vent and put a stiff nylon tube into the vent hole up to about an inch from the bottom to help the venting process. Seems like you’d want to drill a couple holes in the tube close to the top as well since you’d have that tube full of fuel when you first start to pour.

Thanks for following up with some more real world data. 2.4 mpg at wot is pretty darn good! I assume you were running high 30’s nayyybe low 40’s?
On the VP cans. I left the vent the same and just made new nozzle with 3/4 nipple with 1" ID hose.. back to another 3/4 nipple. My issue is I keep my boat in a marina dry storage and nearest gas station is 10 miles away so bring 20 gallons win cans wiht me when I go out and fill the boat before launching. I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee so the cans are inside the car and the nozzle that it came with leaks air and my homemeade nozzle also leaks., plus I lost the end nipple from my homemade nozzle down the fill hole. (I still have to open the tank at some point to fish that out).

Now that I have the Tera Pump just put plumbers tape around the hole plugs and sealed them all up tight. I had zero vapos in the car on the way to the boat or from the empty cans stitting on the hot car all day.

As far as fuel storage on the boat, I think Im going to stick with the VP cans instead of a larger tank. I currently have 4 which is 20 gallons and thinking I will get another 4 so 40 gallons and the engine platform and swimdeck wich I will need the 40 gallons if I decide to do a trip to Dry Torgugas as its 75 miles each way our of Key West.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
On the VP cans. I left the vent the same and just made new nozzle with 3/4 nipple with 1" ID hose.. back to another 3/4 nipple. My issue is I keep my boat in a marina dry storage and nearest gas station is 10 miles away so bring 20 gallons win cans wiht me when I go out and fill the boat before launching. I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee so the cans are inside the car and the nozzle that it came with leaks air and my homemeade nozzle also leaks., plus I lost the end nipple from my homemade nozzle down the fill hole. (I still have to open the tank at some point to fish that out).

Now that I have the Tera Pump just put plumbers tape around the hole plugs and sealed them all up tight. I had zero vapos in the car on the way to the boat or from the empty cans stitting on the hot car all day.

As far as fuel storage on the boat, I think Im going to stick with the VP cans instead of a larger tank. I currently have 4 which is 20 gallons and thinking I will get another 4 so 40 gallons and the engine platform and swimdeck wich I will need the 40 gallons if I decide to do a trip to Dry Torgugas as its 75 miles each way our of Key West.
Taking my jetboat down to the keys and dry tortugas is bucket list for me. I've heard the crossing from key West to tortugas isn't exactly smooth sailing out there.

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Taking my jetboat down to the keys and dry tortugas is bucket list for me. I've heard the crossing from key West to Tortuga's isn't exactly smooth sailing out there.
I'm with you, I'm hoping to go next year sometimes. Key West to Dry Tortuga's is like all crossings, you have to watch the weather and choose your days carefully. I have seen people go when its dead flat to 1 footers without an issue in small boats. there are a few islands along the way to seek shelter if necessary. I went in January on the Ferry and it was 3-4 footers on the way there and it was rough on the 100' ferry. On the way back later that day was 1-2 footers and was a lot smoother.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I'm with you, I'm hoping to go next year sometimes. Key West to Dry Tortuga's is like all crossings, you have to watch the weather and choose your days carefully. I have seen people go when its dead flat to 1 footers without an issue in small boats. there are a few islands along the way to seek shelter if necessary. I went in January on the Ferry and it was 3-4 footers on the way there and it was rough on the 100' ferry. On the way back later that day was 1-2 footers and was a lot smoother.
I thought I read or saw on Out on the Reef that there is no fuel so you have to be able to make it round trip?

Last edited:

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
How far is that? I thought I read or saw on Out on the Reef that there is no fuel so you have to be able to make it round trip?
75 miles each way from Key West. No fuel or service in between.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

So figuring 2 mpg with a 20% reserve will take 90 gallons for the 150 mile round trip then. The mpg could drop to 1.67 and you’d make it, solid planning.