• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

V-Lift or Airdock?

Jayr212x

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm looking to buy a lift for my floating dock. I'm on a shallow cove (3-4 feet at the dock), so my choices are limited. I like the self contained components of the v-lift, but there are no nearby dealers so I would have to assemble and install myself. I like the price of the air dock but I'm worried about durability and that the material will interfere with the jet intakes. I'd appreciate any advice. Thx.

If you can/want to afford the V-Lift I'd go that route. I simply couldn't justify almost triple the price for it. With the airdock, I get everyone on board and then pull the boat back off the dock a few feet the climb in and start the engines and back off the rest of the way. When pulling in, you just drive slowly into the slip and the boat comes to a halt on the airdock. As it gets half way in I kill the engines.

Other things to keep in mind about the airdock.....do you have ice in the winter? If you do, you have to remove the bladders. How about rodents (muskrats)? They suggest removing the bladders in winter even if there is no ice - in case you have someone/thing that decides to build a nest on it. (but if you are there, you can keep them off).

I left mine in over this winter with no issues as our dock is in pretty open water and rarely if ever freezes and is too in the open for rodents (too many osprey in the area).

#airdock

I can tell you this about the Vlift. I like it ALOT. So easy. Just hit a button to go up and one to go down. But you MUST be able to supply power to the lift to keep it charged. Unless you go with the solar option. The reason why is there are sensors inside each tank that will automatically turn the lift on for one lift cycle if water in any particular tank reaches a certain level. Each full charge will give you about 6 lifts and 6 lowerings on the boat. So if a long time goes by and this sensor activates a few times you may come to the dock with a drained battery if you do not keep it charged. That happened to me once. Had to wait an hour to get enough juice in the battery to get the boat lowered.

Another thing is that the lift is assembled so that you enter the same way each time. It has to do with the way the "bunks" "guide rails" are set up. If you wanted to change them you simply pull them out and switch directions. Very easy

**A little convenience hint** Once you figure out what direction the boat will be coming in from, have the one tank that will be in charge of charging, next to your battery on the boat. We have the same boat so it would be the rear left tank. Then you have the charging for the boat AND tank in the same area and could set up to charge the boat batteries and lift at the same time.

As far as assembly. The video says "In about an hour" HAHAHAHA my guy was here for the whole day pretty much. You will need at least 2 people at a minimum.

Any other questions or scenarios you think of and need some advice, give me a shout.

Thanks for all the advice. I ordered the V-Lift today. I'll give an update once I have it installed.

Cool any questions just ask. Buy a few boat bumpers to hang between the dock and lift also.

@geiger41. In the event of future dead battery on the lift couldn't you just jump the lift battery from your boat or a portable jumper box? I believe I read the lift batteries are also 12 volt.

I'm not really sure. The battery isn't used to power a gas engine or anything like that so once the jump is done it is all that's needed like a car . So im assuming a jump will knot help. It is used to power 4 blowers all of which use the battery power. They are 12v. So maybe if u put a portable unit connected.. the battery could draw from that, but again I'm not sure (If that makes any sense)

I'm not really sure. The battery isn't used to power a gas engine or anything like that so once the jump is done it is all that's needed like a car . So im assuming a jump will knot help. It is used to power 4 blowers all of which use the battery power. They are 12v. So maybe if u put a portable unit connected.. the battery could draw from that, but again I'm not sure (If that makes any sense)
What I'm getting at @geiger41 is, rather than waiting an hour for your lift battery to recharge you could simply jump the lift battery from your boat or jump back to operate the lift immediately. Then while you're on the water enjoying yourself the lift battery will be charging on your regular charger. As long as the lift battery is 12 volts it doesn't matter what it is used for it can be jumped using any 12 volt source. I an eying the same lift. I would probably go solar and decided the jump process would be my back up power plan in the event of a dead or low battery.

I gotcha. I just keep my lift plugged in now (Which if you keep it on over the winter you will need to do anyway) Then when I need to charge my boat batteries I switch the plug to the boat batteries for the night. Its an easy mod to put a power plug adaptor rt next to the fuel opening. Then you can simply take the power cord from the dock and plug it onto the boat. REMEMBER for more convenience make sure that the rear left tank is the one which you plug in for the power, therefore the boat and lift plug are right next to each other. If you have to move the lift or boat for some reason you can just untie from the dock and spin around If anyone needs pics as to my setup let me know

Yup @geiger41 I think that's my lift if I ever get approval from my CEO.

@geiger41 , do you happen to know the positions of your inner and outer bunks? My lift should be arriving today and I will start assembling tomorrow. Since we have the same boat I am hoping you can save me a little time. Thanks.

Not off the top of my head. And I cant see them unless I take the boat off. Ill see if I have any old pictures and post them if I do.

sold mine but had it 5 years never any issue or cracks. Bought a tri toon only reason I sold it.

Have any of you Vlift owners had any cracks appear on the right rear tank ?

Guy down the dock from me has cracks in both tanks (now I can't say this guy takes care of his toys though....his boat is a wreck!). Dock master says they no longer make/sell v-lifts....it was what I wanted to buy but couldn't afford.

Port a pier in Wisconsin has replacement tanks $1000 each, but yes they have been discontinued, CEO sunstream told me, so I had to repair mine myself

Back