• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

VHF Radio Install - 2022 255 FSH Sport E (252)

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hey all - new to the forum, new jet boat owner (I/O in the past and just traded in our inboard).

I am looking to install a VHF radio and antenna on my new 2022 255 FSH. Wondering if anyone has installed one on a 255 or 252. Looking at the block on the overhead (not putting the zipper bag in or the cubbie where the key is located.

Thoughts?

If I have missed a thread where this is covered in my search, my apologies and simply redirect me.

Thanks!
Tom

So, I kept digging and did find a post on a 2021 252 - sounds like it was a b*tch. Anyone have any change on 2022 255 or 252?

I added one to mine it was not that bad. Just tied some lead to some fishing line and fed it down the starboard side upright. Added the nmea 2000 backbone and connected it to the simrad. Don’t think I have a pic of the antenna but next time I make it to the storage I’ll grab one. I kept it close to the left side because I might add the glove box to the right. C74E5EF3-D9DE-46BC-8546-CFE5064B7EC6.jpeg

I added one to mine it was not that bad. Just tied some lead to some fishing line and fed it down the starboard side upright. Added the nmea 2000 backbone and connected it to the simrad. Don’t think I have a pic of the antenna but next time I make it to the storage I’ll grab one. I kept it close to the left side because I might add the glove box to the right.
I didn’t get a chance to add a fixed radio before the season ended last year. I have a radio on order now To put in this spring. Did you have any issues with connecting to nmea 2000? What info Is the Simrad and radio passing to each other?

Thanks for the pic too. I’m debating whether to put it either up like you did, externally mounted somewhere, or find space on the console.

I didn’t get a chance to add a fixed radio before the season ended last year. I have a radio on order now To put in this spring. Did you have any issues with connecting to nmea 2000? What info Is the Simrad and radio passing to each other?

Thanks for the pic too. I’m debating whether to put it either up like you did, externally mounted somewhere, or find space on the console.

So I did have problems I bought a radio that said nmea comparable but I didn’t know there was 0183 and 2000. So I had to buy a converter cable to connect my radio to the simrad. Only thing the I am using it for is the simrad sends gps info to the radio if there were to ever be an emergency the radio would know my boats location. I think some of the better radios do that already.

I added one to mine it was not that bad. Just tied some lead to some fishing line and fed it down the starboard side upright. Added the nmea 2000 backbone and connected it to the simrad. Don’t think I have a pic of the antenna but next time I make it to the storage I’ll grab one. I kept it close to the left side because I might add the glove box to the right. View attachment 171889
Nice install! What tool did you use to make the cut?

I used my cordless skill saw for the longer ones and finished with the jig saw. The plastic would melt if you go too fast so has to be pretty slow cutting.

Here is a pic of the antenna I used.

Attachments

• 6C4BC6FE-8382-4206-97AC-F4925D924A34.jpeg
    6C4BC6FE-8382-4206-97AC-F4925D924A34.jpeg
    917.2 KB · Views: 123
That's a pretty cleaning looking antenna, what kind of range would you expect to get on that unit?

Here is the link of the one I bought. It doesn’t say a range just that it’s the only one with this much range for the size. At the time I ordered my custom cover was backordered and I was using the shipping cover so I really wanted something that wouldn’t make it any harder to cover the boat.

Its rated at 50w max input. That should be decent line of sight transmission capable. Are you on the coast? If so there hundreds of coastguard vhf repeaters, they are much easier to get a hold of than a private vessel that is far away. Try some radio check callouts to different marines around you, to get an idea ho it performs. I have a 4' Shakespeare that does pretty good 5-8 miles.

I’m in Dallas so hard to test. But I’m gonna be heading to the coast soon I’ll get to try it out then!

Lol. Kinda the antenna is small and set just in front of the light.

I wish someone could get a picture of how the nmea 2000 is connecting the Simrad radio to the Simrad multi unit. I don't understand how to connect the power to the system. I'm considering towing my boat to Cali for a Simrad tech to re-install my system. The units are not connected properly.

My knowledge isn’t great with nmea. But the set up was simple for what I have. I installed the backbone with the power cable in the first position. Second was the vhf radio then the kmc5 radio third. And the simrad is next. one position left for the trolling motor but have not bought that yet. Not sure how yours is set up but have heard that timing on powering the units up makes a difference.

This is how the mechanic wired the system. I was given a diagram from a Simrad tech that said this was wrong. The problem I had was that the power was not able to connect to the nmea 2000 system. Nothing's easy for me. wired.jpg

I’m picking my boat up tomorrow to get ready for this weekend I will try and get a pic of how mine is done. Here a quick diagram of how I set mine up. I know some people say there is an order that things need to be turned on I haven’t ran into that I can switch mine off it stops showing up on simrad switch it back on and it’s back so not sure about that part. The connection at the simrad unit in your pic looks wrong to me not sure what the grey part is that’s definitely not on my set up. image.jpg

I have the nmea 2000 kit, I just don't know how to connect the power to it without the proper connector used by the VHF and Multi display. It looks as though I might have to let a pro splice on the right connector to the power, so it can connect into the "back bone".

Back