• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wake Damage Liability

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks @Bruce. I always try to be careful, but never really thought about there being a liability associated with my wake. Thanks for posting.

Great article...I too didn't know about the liability of one's wake! Those of you wake surfing with huge ballast should take special note! The huge wakes from surfing could easily damage boats moored......

I read this earlier this week in Boat U.S. monthly news letter. I knew that I was responsible for any damage my wake causes but until I read this article I didn't realize that it applied outside of no wakes zones as well as inside them.

Think about some of these dedicated wake boats that are putting out 2'3' wakes up and down the lake. Without question they can do damage to boats slamming against docks and mooring balls.

Wake boats can cause damage if used wrong, but can receive damage too. I've been rocked hard enough to have my passengers throw off their feet and nearly swamped by a cruiser more than once (in my Tige and my Yamaha). Or grandpa dragging a tuber is out on a Sunday cruise and decided to squeeze between me and the shore, tossing my boat about, when there is a whole lake on the other side of me. And don't get me started on the holier than thou fishermen who run 20 off the dock plowing water and thrashing my dock after trolling quietly the whole time they were fishing. I take my wake seriously and give other boats a wide berth, but there are plenty of clueless operators out there who don't need a dedicated wake boat or serious ballast to cause havoc! Sorry for the rant, but I've been seeing this article pop up in other places and people thinking wake sports boats are bad because of it. At the end of the day, everyone needs to be aware and respect others...then we can all play well together on the water!

I have a practical example. On my old I/O (18') i was once anchored parallel to the shore (wind) at the edge of a shelf, deep on one side and about 1' on the other. It was nice and could get out of the boat and walk. A heavily ballasted wake boat came by at speed about 20' away (way too close) pushing a 5' wake and washed my boat up onto the shelf. Luckily we were standing by the boat and were able to catch the reflected wave off the shore and heave the boat back into deeper water. It was a light boat and I doubt we could have done that with the yammi. Cam.

Like @007 said, we are very aware of our surroundings when we ballast up and pay close attention when driving to not give other people what we are pumping out. Most times I try to find a place where none is boating if available. It is the other people that put themselves in harms way is what I am worried about. Like a bass boat coming in between my and the shoreline , while I have a surfer out, and crossing my wake at full throttle. I was like Jeff and hugging my shore and he had plenty of room on the opposite side. Yep he got what he deserved and about got thrown out of his boat.

I think one of the factors that gets missed, is the distance a wake will go well after a boat has passed, whether you, or someone else. Those big boats that @Bruce mentions, wake can last for minutes and travel a mile or more! Our boats won't last that long, but they go farther than you would think. Since everyone is looking for calm water to ski/surf/tube/etc, it is generally in protected coves or sheltered in some way. There in lies the problem...that is where docks, marina breakwater, shoreline camping, shoreline fishing, etc., are located. If I owned shoreline property and had a home with a nice dock on it, like some of you guys, I would absolutely hate the boats that eroded my shore and rocked my dock (and boat). I was running a few years back along the inter coastal in Ft Lauderdale, and saw a huge commotion going on from a bridge. A big off shore style go fast boat was thrown from its cradle and was half on, half off the cradle and had fallen onto the dock. There were coastguard/police boats all over the place, and they tracked down the passerby that rocked it out of the cradle. I don't know the outcome and I didn't see it happen, but the damaged boat was one of those boats that was well north of $100K. I have also seen some lakes that prevent speed above plane speed all along their shorelines just to prevent erosion. I haven't surfed behind a boat before, but the wake they throw is massive. I wonder if since they literally create a smooth wall of water to surf, regardless of surface condition, if being more out in the lake and away from shore wouldn't protect you guys from liability more? Skiers and boarders that are up on the table need smooth water for the most part, especially beginners. Boating in general is pretty much less enjoyable in rough water. I don't think we will find an answer, but my guess is that the laws may change to restrict our freedom more and more, because of an increase in damage or perceived damage. It would be nice if we could somehow regulate ourselves. And honestly, like some of you, I don't think it is us that causes the most damage, but we all see the ones that do every trip out. Ya'll be careful out there!

This is an interesting article. We typically tie up in a cove that doesn't have a no wake bouy. Every now and then we get some chowder head that has to cruise through the cove and circle our tie up at a slow speed which causes a huge wake condition. The circular path many times causes his wake to converge on us at the same time, meaning the wake from the east combines with his wake from the west and hits us at the same time. This usually results a few people screaming at the top of their lungs, a few middle fingers, and so on and so forth. I usually jump out of the water, make sure all the fenders are pushed down, and then use my arms to try and negate the effects of the wake on the boats.

During the Spring floods we found a no wake bouy up in the trees that had broke loose. We ordered new decals for it, plus reflective tape, and a solar strobe for the top. Our plan fro next season is to set the no wake bouy at the mouth of the cove and see if this will stop some of the assholes from coming in. There used to be a no wake bouy in this cove because there is a park with a beach in the cove. So we are going to just take the matters into our own hands on this one and reset the bouy.

This is very interesting. I try to be very aware of my wake. We do have the fishermen that fly into our cove rocking the docks and boats. Funny it is a lot less if we are out there. There will always be some people that don't care but I suspect most people don't realize the wake is problematic. I think our lake states there is a no wake zone when within 100 feet of the shore.

Back