• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Warranty items. . . . ?

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I was cleaning the boat over the weekend, and found some NOT so nice things.

Mind you, she only has 6.4 hours and been out 4 times.

I found a crack in the gel coat on top of the gunwhales under the windshield on the helm side. It looks to me like the screw for that section may not have been pre-drilled possibly. The Crack runs under and is visible on both sides of the windshield.
20140624_173252.jpg 20140624_173315.jpg

Then I found the transom table mount was burning the rear mat (like otherside on here have noted) I taped over it for now.
20140624_172752.jpg20140624_172727.jpg

Then I found some irregularities in the upholstery which have been there since day one. While I figured I would be able to wipe them clean when I got around to it, it turns out that was not the case. . . . not sure exactly what the deal is there but it didn't wipe up with ANYTHING I tried. Including simple green, Wesley's bleach white, standard boat soap, etc. . . ( all of which I rinsed thoroughly with fresh, clean water after each attempt)

20140624_173352.jpg20140624_173402.jpg

Then to top it all off I noticed that the carpeted panel on the port side where the battery switch is mounted was not secured. The panel is just hanging there held in place only by the carpet and the glue that is binding the carpet to it. Surely this can't be meant to be loose?

Are these items covered under warranty?

Edited for spelling

Last edited:

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would say yes, if you have a good dealership. Below are items I had repaired under warranty, some just last year.
rear seat pad damaged during shipping
Scratch in hull bow area (happen during demonstration)
2 batteries (first six months)
Crack in engine compartment (First year)
(2) 0il coolers (2nd and third year)
Tower mount pads (fourth year)
bilge pump (fourth year)

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
All of those sound like great warranty items (issues) to be addressed after the end of boating season......... not a moment before. Just saying! Go Enjoy the Sh%t out of your new almost perfect boat!!!! Probably let them know and do your due diligence , which I know you will!

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
All of those sound like great warranty items (issues) to be addressed after the end of boating season......... not a moment before. Just saying! Go Enjoy the Sh%t out of your new almost perfect boat!!!! Probably let them know and do your due diligence , which I know you will!
Totally not planning on halting my season for these minor imperfections. . . . . Just sharing the info. ; )

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah take pics and report your Issues now.
Already sent Jim over at Patsy's Bay an email with a link here to the thread so he can see the pics without clogging his inbox (or my outbox). He's a good dude, not even slightly concerned.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Already sent Jim over at Patsy's Bay an email with a link here to the thread so he can see the pics without clogging his inbox (or my outbox). He's a good dude, not even slightly concerned.
Not sure what that stuff on your seats is @0627Devildog but if it's just a stain you might want to try magic eraser on it.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
From the blemishes I've seen on boats from $28k to $7 million.....you have a great boat! The stain on the cushion could be adhesive and should rub off easily. Go and enjoy your boat but you should document that spider crack with your dealer. Be careful leaning on the windshields, that added weight can easy spider the mount points. It shouldn't in a perfect world....

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure what that stuff on your seats is @0627Devildog but if it's just a stain you might want to try magic eraser on it.
I tried several things, and thought of a magic eraser but did not have one handy. I am headed back tomorrow, and will definitely be bringing one to try out. I will keep you guys updated as usual.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
From the blemishes I've seen on boats from $28k to $7 million.....you have a great boat! The stain on the cushion could be adhesive and should rub off easily. Go and enjoy your boat but you should document that spider crack with your dealer. Be careful leaning on the windshields, that added weight can easy spider the mount points. It shouldn't in a perfect world....
Thanks for the perspective, I know nothing man made is going to be perfect EVERY time. But after dropping $50K you would think it would be slightly better than this from the factory. The loose board separating the engine compartment from the battery/storage area is more annoying than the crack in the gelcoat. Whomever mounted the battery switch at the factory surely knew there was an issue and just pushed it through.

Re: the crack in the gelcoat I can at least give the benefit of the doubt to the inspector because if this was done by machine, the inspector might have missed it. It is a hairline crack, so it is possible it was overlooked and not simply ignored like the board.

Regarding the table mount burning the rear mat up, it seems to be quite the common occurrence. So much so that I had thought I heard in 14' they were supposed to be brushed mounts instead of polished chrome. That said, if it is a know issue they should just send out a new part. . . . it's 4 screws and easily accessible in or out of the water.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
With that bad spot up front not much to lose. . . . . .

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you mess up the upholstery, your dealer will likely not cover it. Whatever you use go easy and flush it well. If it were my boat, I would try Goo-be-Gone but ONLY after testing it somewhere inconspicuous.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just get a list going and take pictures of everything so you do not forget them for your 10 hour service. They did not push back on any of the items that I had.

jonw9

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
Re: the crack in the gelcoat I can at least give the benefit of the doubt to the inspector because if this was done by machine, the inspector might have missed it. It is a hairline crack, so it is possible it was overlooked and not simply ignored like the board.
Just document and keep an eye for the other spots. In my case, one spot like that led to the entire windshield removed and all holes repaired. Apparently during assembly the wrong size drill bit was used during assembly, and several were cracked when screws installed, and the rest would have cracked eventually.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I tried several things, and thought of a magic eraser but did not have one handy. I am headed back tomorrow, and will definitely be bringing one to try out. I will keep you guys updated as usual.
That mark "Could" be on the reverse side of the vinyl. I had marks appear out of nowhere and they wouldn't come off, took the cushion apart and there it was, plain as day, a mark from the pattern maker I'll guess. Looked like they used a Sharpie and it bled through. So don't get too aggressive on the outside, it might be inside.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That mark "Could" be on the reverse side of the vinyl. I had marks appear out of nowhere and they wouldn't come off, took the cushion apart and there it was, plain as day, a mark from the pattern maker I'll guess. Looked like they used a Sharpie and it bled through. So don't get too aggressive on the outside, it might be inside.
Interesting thought. . . Jim already got back to me, told me to take detailed pics to forward onto Yamaha. I will get some HiRes photos of all the cushion and have it addressed at the end of the season along with the other items as needed. Once I get the HiRes pics, I'll be sure to upload here too.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, there were a few additional items that came about over the course of the year. The list of items that require warranty (including the ones listed above) are:

Crack in gelcoat under Starboard side windshield
Marks on Cushions
Table mount reflection burning Hydroturf
Loose Engine Compartment board where Battery switch is mounted

Port Throttle lever drops out of sync
Chips in the tower paint (these were noticed at time of delivery, I just forgot to list above)
All the tower mounting pads were dry rotted and cracking
Drivers side windshield frame had "tool marks" on the frame and the gasket that sits in between the windshield frame and the glass was damaged.
(it looked like someone at the factory jammed it in with a screwdriver)

I covered all the items with the dealer and some have been corrected, while others are still under way. I will keep you all posted as to the outcomes.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just revisiting this thread after some new items that I will be sending in for warranty this year. . . .

The throttle drop was never really corrected, so I will be bringing that up again.
(It appears they just tightened the tension screws which did not have the intended outcome)
(Going to ensure this time they do THIS : http://yamahajetboaters.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59905&start=27)
There is some new spider cracking in the gel coat under the starboard side windshield that was previously repaired
There is a spider crack in the gel coat on the starboard side engine hatch hinge
The port side engine hatch hinge is a little loose
(I will fix this next outing)
The starboard side door frame (for access to behind the helm) has several (2 0r 3) screws that were sunk too far and cracked the frame.

Will be sure to post how the repairs progress. . . . . Sure am glad I got the 5yr YES warranty (Currently in Month 3 of year 4)