• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Was I being ridiculous?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So there was a guy a block away or so who was shooting outside the front window this evening, it appears he had some issues. Swat and police was called in, they closed off the roads and some of the neighbors were going in their basement and sheltering. The first thing I did was hookup the boat and pull it forward in the drive so it was between my house and the neighbors house which are brick so that a stray bullet wouldn't hit it..... The Admiral thinks I was being absurd..... But I told her boating season is almost here I don't want to have to take it in for glass work from a stray bullet. Realistically two blocks away or so, but you never know. :D:D

I guess it is over now and they had to shoot him, sad. Not sure if he made it or not.

Barricaded situation in Royal Oak ends, 34-year-old gunman shot by police (clickondetroit.com)

Last edited:

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks like he is ex-military suffering from PTSD. Very sad.

Chatt_Jetsetter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
That's scary, glad ya'll are alright. Sad for that family. I do have a question though; did World War I and II vets do this kind of thing, with PTSD being the cited cause? It just seems like you never heard about this kind of thing in that generation. I was not in the military. My dad served in the Army, there are three Marine grandfathers between my wife and I and one Army vet, and then several other vets in my family between the Marines and Army, Air Force, and Navy. None of them talked about PTSD issues or seemed to have major struggles with it.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Very unfortunate and sad. I read that he eventually passed away. Father that he assaulted is ok. Not sure anymore than that.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On the edge of ridiculous.

The risk of a stray bullet, via line of sight from 2 blocks away is pretty low without a significant elevation change between the two. Assuming you're in a stereotypical suburban neighborhood there are a LOT of obstacles to get past before it got to the boat.

If you assume the threat was legitament; You risked life for equipment. If a bullets going fast enough to break glass it's going fast enough to do serious bodily harm. I'm sure both life and equipment are insured, but only one is replaceable. Consider the inconvenience of a hospital trip with boat season coming up, especially if it ends poorly.

Considering the threat was relatively low, you and your boat were most likely in very little danger at any point. Probably a greater chance of dropping the tongue on your foot than getting hit by that bullet. So maybe some wasted effort, but you certainly didn't hurt anything, or take on additional risk by moving the boat.

Not judging, just evaluating. In hindsight I've done many things with similar tradeoffs, I'm working on making less of them. Let insurance cover the equipment.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

The risk of a stray bullet, via line of sight from 2 blocks away is pretty low without a significant elevation change between the two. Assuming you're in a stereotypical suburban neighborhood there are a LOT of obstacles to get past before it got to the boat.

If you assume the threat was legitament; You risked life for equipment. If a bullets going fast enough to break glass it's going fast enough to do serious bodily harm. I'm sure both life and equipment are insured, but only one is replaceable. Consider the inconvenience of a hospital trip with boat season coming up, especially if it ends poorly.

Considering the threat was relatively low, you and your boat were most likely in very little danger at any point. Probably a greater chance of dropping the tongue on your foot than getting hit by that bullet. So maybe some wasted effort, but you certainly didn't hurt anything, or take on additional risk by moving the boat.

Not judging, just evaluating. In hindsight I've done many things with similar tradeoffs, I'm working on making less of them. Let insurance cover the equipment.
This sounds like something I'd actually watch on one of those science-type shows that would do all the math and calculations.

I have no idea if you were being ridiculous or not. I was a whole state and an entire lake away, so I never even thought to concern myself with it. If I were there, I definitely would be willing to throw your body in front of mine for protection.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Not really sure how serious the threat was, I just didn't want a bullet hole in the boat this close to the new boating season
;)

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I would say that the risk to your boat was extremely low and moving it is down right ridiculous. I will also admit that I would've done the same thing. :)

Mully262

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length
It is definitely a funny reaction to a very sad situation. I have a macabre sense of humor, so I can find the humor in your reaction.

It is sad situation. Myself and others on this forum are all too familiar with the story in general. Guys get home, take on these demons by themselves, often reaching out to alcohol or drugs to numb the pain, but it just amplifies the noise. Eventually you either break through or break down. That is why it is so important to have a healthy outlet. Like boating for us on this forum.

So can I judge you for for wanting to protect the boat? Hell no. It is my own personal therapy as well. It isn't the material goods, it is what it provides for a mental state of mind. Of course you want to protect that. This is also why so many vets are into motorcycles. Same thing....

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
That's scary, glad ya'll are alright. Sad for that family. I do have a question though; did World War I and II vets do this kind of thing, with PTSD being the cited cause? It just seems like you never heard about this kind of thing in that generation. I was not in the military. My dad served in the Army, there are three Marine grandfathers between my wife and I and one Army vet, and then several other vets in my family between the Marines and Army, Air Force, and Navy. None of them talked about PTSD issues or seemed to have major struggles with it.
A rather large topic of discussion....to answer your question yes there were lots of cases of “ptsd“ from WW I & WWII, but it was called a couple of other things, mainly “shell shock”. There was another term known as “the thousand yard stare”. My personal opinion based on what my WWII vet father told me about pre war, the war, and post war was that for one there was the GI bill and ample opportunities for people to work and attain the American Dream of peace, a family and economic prosperity if one was willing to work for it. Toss in traditional American values that were prevalent at the time and it becomes clear why these types of things didn’t happen.

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It is just like when it starts to hail or storm outside, people move there car inside. Completely normal. Funny but normal

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah, but, if My SUV gets damaged I can get a loaner within a couple hours or if it is totalled have a new car by the end of the day. Getting the boat repaired or trying to find a new replacement may be next to impossible. :)

AmesJainchill

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Not really sure how serious the threat was, I just didn't want a bullet hole in the boat this close to the new boating season
;)
I heard about that from some friends in the 13 mi / woodward area and also 13 / crooks that evening. Pretty crazy!

But as far as the potential bullet hole goes, maybe some flex seal tape would work in a pinch, lol. I think they only make it in white and black though. No blue. 😁
1615903270771.png

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
With my luck it would of hit the engine or gas tank :oops: