• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Water in compartments

mabr0503

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
So I am a new jet boat owner and completely unfamiliar with them. Is there a way to drain water that is in the engine compartment other than the pump switch? With regular boats there was always a plug that you could pull on the back by the propeller.
Apparently there was either water from the storm or water from the lake trip. Either way I park in on a slight slope so it all pooled into the floor compartment. I wet vac’d it out but I also pulled it off the slope and raised the bow to see if I could get the water to go backwards but it all is just staying.

Attachments

• IMG_2656.jpeg
    IMG_2656.jpeg
    750 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2657.jpeg
    IMG_2657.jpeg
    415.7 KB · Views: 20
So I am a new jet boat owner and completely unfamiliar with them. Is there a way to drain water that is in the engine compartment other than the pump switch? With regular boats there was always a plug that you could pull on the back by the propeller.
Apparently there was either water from the storm or water from the lake trip. Either way I park in on a slight slope so it all pooled into the floor compartment. I wet vac’d it out but I also pulled it off the slope and raised the bow to see if I could get the water to go backwards but it all is just staying.
What brand of boat is this? If its a Yamaha there is a drain plug in the back and if you park it nose high most all of that water should drain out the back.

He has a 1995 Carrera jetboat. I would guess the photos is a center compartment that Yamaha calls the “ski locker”. Can you feel around for an opening anywhere that would let water in, maybe like a loose or missing drain plug? I would always leave my ski locker drain open to allow water to drain into the bilge but I would get water slopping around occasionally and back fill into the ski locker. Maybe this manufacturer didn’t put drain plugs in the transom, most bigger boats do not have them either. I would say, hit the bilge, and pump it down. Once it’s dry and you have some time, maybe take a hose and fill the bilge with water and see if anything is leaking from around the pump. Keep in mind, the pump and steering cable is all under the waterline, so there are several points of failure that could let water in. Hopefully it’s just that rain storm you mentioned and you can get back on the water.

What brand of boat is this? If its a Yamaha there is a drain plug in the back and if you park it nose high most all of that water should drain out the back.
Yeah, 1993 carrera. The nose up and plug would be the only trick I know owning previous boats. But they all had the plug in the back. These bad boys seem to not.

He has a 1995 Carrera jetboat. I would guess the photos is a center compartment that Yamaha calls the “ski locker”. Can you feel around for an opening anywhere that would let water in, maybe like a loose or missing drain plug? I would always leave my ski locker drain open to allow water to drain into the bilge but I would get water slopping around occasionally and back fill into the ski locker. Maybe this manufacturer didn’t put drain plugs in the transom, most bigger boats do not have them either. I would say, hit the bilge, and pump it down. Once it’s dry and you have some time, maybe take a hose and fill the bilge with water and see if anything is leaking from around the pump. Keep in mind, the pump and steering cable is all under the waterline, so there are several points of failure that could let water in. Hopefully it’s just that rain storm you mentioned and you can get back on the water.
Thanks! Yeah it is the ski locker, the plug in There looks like trash, and looks to be in crooked. I tried pulling it out and it was impossible. I feel the previous owner maybe adhered or siliconed it in. ( still contemplating on getting that sucker out.)
For now I shop vac’d all the water out of the engine compartment. I know there isn’t any more water now because the cooler compartment just down from the ski locker also has a plug and when I opened that one no water came through. (Prior when I opened it water came through like a hose)

Do you have any pictures of the transom below or on either side of the jetpump? How about any drain thru hulls on the bottom/aft on the hull. My Whaler has one like that.

Back