• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Waterskis

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

dbrunone

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Yeah, they are not bad. Really easy to get up, especially for bigger people. My dad is 250 and he got up on some of these wide skis.

Not exactly "razor edge" control like a slalom ski, they tend to "float" more, especially going over the wake, but thats expected based on the surface area. You can probably get some good air and do tricks but I've never tried that. Overall pretty fun if the price of them doesnt break your bank

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Wide skis are MUCH easier to get up on but aren't as "performance" oriented. I slalom ski and bought a wide ski to make it easier to get up in deep water starts. If you are planning on using one of these to slalom ski - definitely a good idea. If you only plan to use them as combo skis...probably not as important, but will make it easier for beginners.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a connely Big Daddy slalom ski. It look much like the pic just a single ski. Easy to waterstart on even for us old guys packing too many beers. I plan to move the front boot forward a bit as the weight distribution is not quite right. Cam.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm going against the grain on this one. I bought a pair over 10 years ago for beginners and IMHO they really sucked. They were too big and bulky and too buoyant for most of my skiers. This made them very difficult to line up in the water. Plus they are a pain to store on the boat. After a couple of years I sold them and picked up a nice set of Obrien combo skiis with the upgraded bindings. I slalom with both feet in the bindings so I'm not sure how much better one would be than just the standard combo ski before dropping it to slalom. But again I go back to the storage factor. They are a PITA.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Not all "wide" skiis are the same. Deep water start slalom skis have a wide front that help with getting out of the water, but a narrow rear. I also have a combo set (forget the brand name), and deep water starting with one combo ski takes some serious strength (it can be done). Very little need though to have a wide combo set, unless you want to try a deep water slalom start. But I'd probably get a single good deep water start ski than get a wide combo set.

Best slalom start training tip I ever got was to close my eyes and just sense when to stand--otherwise you tend to try to stand too soon due to all the spray.

jasoraso

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Our family loves our fat slalom ski - besides making deep water starts easier (when I switched back to a skinny ski for a day I was amazed at how much more work it was to get up, even for a skinny guy like me), it also makes beach starting or dock starting easier!!! (Very important when you ski in cold mountain lakes!)

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length