• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Wear your engine cut off lanyard!

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Wowzer!

Pretty easy to get killed by your own boat…

Included in this article is a story of another instance with a run away boat towing two kids on a tube! In that case the kill switch would have stopped the boat, but so would having an observer on board.

I admit the kill switch for me caused me 3 close calls when triggered in a false alarm situation because I moved out of the area to grab a rope of assist someone. I gave up, 3 certain chances of danger. I do wear it if I'm alone, but it is a pain to have it accidentally trigger.

I've been considering fell marine device for some time, but have not yet "pulled the plug"

We also have participated in a rescue attempt to recover a run away inflatable with fallen occupants. Boat ran in circles of death for another hour before it was recovered. Dangerous as heck.

Agree, I clip in to the dinghy motor every time. Even when fishing. It does limit movement, but you don’t move your lower body too much on a 12’dinghy with 2 on board. The Whaler has a kill switch but that is hard to wear while trolling.

Props will cut you up. WARNING! Graphic material in link. Not recommended for those with a weak stomach.
Sailor is disfigured after his face is sliced off by a boat propeller

Last edited:
So there is a YouTube channel, FSHDude, he lengthened his lanyard and used a surf board leash on his ankle to increase mobility on the boat, I think his “leash” is like 9’.

Last edited:
So there is a YouTube channel, FSHDude, he lengthened his lanyard and used a surf board leash on his ankle to increase mobility on the boat.
I got that too but it's still a pain, although I can move anywhere on the boat. I really want the Fell MOB switch too, just haven't convinced the boss to let me get another boat item.

I got that too but it's still a pain, although I can move anywhere on the boat. I really want the Fell MOB switch too, just haven't convinced the boss to let me get another boat item.

Do those Fell MOB’s have a hard bypass in case they mess up? Or in case the pilot falls out and one of the crew needs to come get you ?

I believe there is a switch to disable

I attached 2 Jetski lanyards together and clip it to the inflatable vest I wear. I can move in most of the boat without it pulling loose.
Incase I go overboard, I have the clip from the second lanyard on a 3" cable attached to the key chain so I can get picked up.

Last edited:
So there is a YouTube channel, FSHDude, he lengthened his lanyard and used a surf board leash on his ankle to increase mobility on the boat, I think his “leash” is like 9’.
I stole his idea, and it works great. Mine is always around my ankle unless I'm at No Wake speed, preparing to dock. Never really gets in my way, once you're used to it. Honestly, I assumed I was the only one using it around here, but that might be an unfair assumption.

I stole his idea, and it works great. Mine is always around my ankle unless I'm at No Wake speed, preparing to dock. Never really gets in my way, once you're used to it. Honestly, I assumed I was the only one using it around here, but that might be an unfair assumption.

Good for you! I use mine whenever I’m traveling, “sport boating” or launching and retrieving the boat. When I’m trolling with my electric motor I wear the remote around my neck so if I fall in I can just hit the spot lok button.

I think the engine cut off lanyard is somewhat, or a lot like wearing a life jacket. If you make it so that it is comfortable and not cumbersome you will tend to use it / wear it. My inflatable PFD’s are so comfortable that I forget that I’m wearing them. I usually realize that I have it on when I go to put my seatbelt on in my truck for the drive home.

I’ve had a few false trips like @Beachbummer when the OEM lanyard and its grippy rubbery surface ended up against the steering wheel and got yanked as I approached a dock. That is when you realize you should have practiced at least once how to get that little doo dad back into its run position!!!

I’m going to add making the “long leash” for the engine cut off to my winter projects.

In addition to the long leash for the engine cut off I bought a West Marine off shore inflatable PFD that has two stainless D rings in the harness, and I will be getting a leash / tether for my pfd harness that I can hook to the T top uprights. This will be mainly for slow trolling with the electric motor but I will also use it in concert with the engine cut off leash. I wanted this mainly for those days fishing when there is rough water, and when I go on a long cruise by myself and there are no other people around. Also, as cold as the water is (36*) here in the early spring and late fall, you better get out of the water asap or you are done for, if you fell out and the boat was still coasting and you are wearing full rain gear plus layered clothing and boots you’d be hard pressed to swim to the boat quickly enough even with a pfd on before you lost the ability to swim. However, if you have a tether you are going to be held close to the boat and you will have the tether to pull yourself back to the boat, deploy the swim step and clamber up onto the swim deck-advantage Yamaha.

I’ve been looking for something with a better clip (not the nasty, rusty metal clip) to keep attaching to waist area. All the better ones are wrist cuffs. I too have more false activations when getting up for dock lines and such.

It did become law in 2021 to wear it in “navigable waters of the US”.

I’ve been looking for something with a better clip (not the nasty, rusty metal clip) to keep attaching to waist area. All the better ones are wrist cuffs. I too have more false activations when getting up for dock lines and such.

It did become law in 2021 to wear it in “navigable waters of the US”.
I hooked an aluminum carabiner to the Charles atlas oem clip, makes it way easier to put on and take off.

And had been the law in other states earlier than that came into effect. For Texas it was 2019.

I admit the kill switch for me caused me 3 close calls when triggered in a false alarm situation because I moved out of the area to grab a rope of assist someone. I gave up, 3 certain chances of danger. I do wear it if I'm alone, but it is a pain to have it accidentally trigger.

I've been considering fell marine device for some time, but have not yet "pulled the plug"

We also have participated in a rescue attempt to recover a run away inflatable with fallen occupants. Boat ran in circles of death for another hour before it was recovered. Dangerous as heck.
I also do the same, when alone always use it and I also make sure passenger at least know the basic on how to operate the boat.

MOB is on sale at west marine MOB+ Basepack Wireless Engine Cutoff Switch, Gray | West Marine

Back