• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

What do you need at a home "dock"?

JWPrendergast

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
We are moving into our new home on the river in a few weeks, and dont know exactly what we will need to keep the boat in the water.

We have a deck/dock but nothing else there. Im sure we need dock cleats (but dont know which ones are best) and a few other things. We plan on leaving it in the water most of the time, and Ill take it out every 2 or 3 weeks to give it a good cleaning.

Any thoughts from those who live on the water?

20140422_153557.jpg

You'll definitely want some attached fenders, cleats, perhaps a dock box (depending on how far the house is-I have friends that put a small shed on their dock - but they also put a bar in too!!).

It is sick how much they charge for attached fenders....

A lot of the things I keep on my dock are because it's about a 350' walk with an elevation change of 30-40'.

Cleats (I just got the ones at my local Academy) the larger the better.
Dock lines, to leave on the dock (in addition to the lines you keep on your boat) purely for convenience.
Chairs, so you can sit on the dock and enjoy that amazing view
A broom is very handy, it's amazing how much dirt gets on the dock
Dock Box (these can get ridiculously expensive, but a large rubber maid container works well)
I have a floating dock, but maybe some piling or post numbers?
A rubber snake or two, helps keep the birds off the dock/boat

Thanks for the suggestions; I didnt think about a dock box or rubber snake. What other thoughts do you guys have?

Electricity...you will need to charge your boat if wet slipping. While you have the momentum I would tell the wife you "need" a lift. Lifting the boat out of the water saves a ton on maintenance and wear and tear on your boat.

+1 on the dock box to keep everything that you are not going to use for that trip.

You have those nice tall posts so you should not need cleats. A clove hitch is a good temporary knot: http://www.netknots.com/rope_knots/clove-hitch/. Make sure that whatever you use to tie the boat is easily untied. If the water level rises or falls while you are away it can be a royal pain to untie your boat and cutting the lines is expensive.

I'd recommend a lift. Get a used one. Search around lake of the ozarks craigslist

X2 on the fresh water and hose, electric if possible. I would also put a first aid kit in the dock box. Fishing pole holders if you or your family fish.

If you can't get electricity I would at least put some solar powered light on the poles, you will need light!!

If you get a lift, you will kick yourself for not getting it sooner.

x's 2 on the mooring whips. Setting fenders up on that dock can be tricky so that they stay put for long periods.

Is this area a no wake zone?

If you add cleats, I would put them on the deck next to the 4x4 posts. Use those two cleats for spring lines and use the two posts to tie off the bow and stern. Adding a rubber bumper to the post faces on the water side will help with docking without fenders. I can't think of their name but they get nailed/bolted to the posts and are 4-6' tall by 5" wide.

Lighting for sure....as you will want to do some night boating....and returning to a dark dock is a pita. I like those flip up cleats too (the bigger of the sizes they sell).

A lift if you can swing it....

Can you say beer fridge????

Thanks for the suggestions. I think there is already electricity running the pump, so that's 1 item down. I would like to add a lift, but that might be a project for the next year or 2. Im going to purchase some of those rubber bumpers that get mounted to the posts; thatll be much easier than throwing out the onboard ones every time.

I'll add my 1 Cents worth, if it can help you.
My first thoughts, were of what is important to me, and others have already stated them: 1) Power - AC - Electricity - IF possible, and you'll thank me later, BOTH 120 VAC AND 220 VAC !!!!!!
2) A powered lift 3) A Water supply.
Now to the less costly ideas: 1) A flag pole to display an American flag. An ALUMINUM pole is always better (and needs to be set in concrete, so this might not make it the new dock).
2) Cleats - I STRONGLY suggest the PULL UP kind ! More costly, but so much easier on the feet, and no one ever gets a cut foot, etc.
3) Some thick dock strip molding to go around the upper edge of your dock. So that when you, or a friend, comes to your dock, your boat does not ever "hit" (i.e., touch) wood. The boat only rests against this molding rubber molding.
4) If you do get a water supply, I strongly suggest a host CART (SAMS has the best and heaviest duty: $75, metal, powered coated, holds 300 ft, wheels like a dream) - So you won't be leaving your hose on the dock, which inveribly gets stolen. 5) IF you get power, DOCK LIGHTING.
5) And oh yeah: A Ladder to get in and out of the water easily.
Good Luck - This is a good thread to keep going. So please continue to update us on your choices and progress !
Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Thanks for the suggestions. I think there is already electricity running the pump, so that's 1 item down. I would like to add a lift, but that might be a project for the next year or 2. Im going to purchase some of those rubber bumpers that get mounted to the posts; thatll be much easier than throwing out the onboard ones every time.
Dude, like someone else mentioned, if you think you are going to put a lift in later, and you wait, you will be kicking yourself for not doing it sooner. I bought a used boat floater for $3500. Works like a charm. There are more used lifts out there, you just need to find a big lake near you and then pull up craigslist in that area and do a search for "boat lift", "boat floater", "hydrahoist"

Back