• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What is this?

cjaysanchez

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is this white round unit a gps? I could not find the piece in the manual. I have a 2021 195s. If it is a gps, does it work inside the garage or would it give me an error when selecting maps etc like in a car when indoors? D8C7F7FF-3024-45BC-81EA-2AFF0CF2C75A.jpeg

GPS Puck. May or may not work indoors. Most of the time not.

I work with gps daily. It needs a clear line of sight to work. Gps uses light to work.

I got a communication error while inside the garage working on the boat. Not sure if it was because of this or because another issue.

I work with gps daily. It needs a clear line of sight to work. Gps uses light to work.
GPS satellites transmit two radio signals. These are designated as L1 and L2. A Civilian GPS uses the L1 signal frequency (1575.42 MHz) in the UHF band. The signals travel by line of sight, meaning they will pass through clouds, glass, plastic etc but will not travel through solid objects such as buildings and mountains.

Apparently Julian is quite familiar as well. Thanks Julian! Lol

All of that said, note too that it is line of sight to the satellite, which is not necessarily right above you. I get a good GPS reading in my storage unit with the doors open (I assume because there is a satellite dead ahead somewhere over at the horizon). So you may just be able to open a door...

Back