• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

What size generator?

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am thinking about buying a small portable inverter generator to power my on-board charger while I am away and wont have access to electricity overnight. Anyone know what size generator would be needed to power a 3 bank x 15 amp per bank on board charger? I am looking at a Champion 75351i generator that I found I may be able to get a good deal on. It looks like its 1600 Watts with a peak of 2000. Thanks...

3 banks at 15 amps at 14.4 volts is 648 watts. Assuming the charger is 80% efficient a 800 watt generator would handle it. I would probably go for 1,000 watts to have a little extra capacity. Anything bigger and you are carrying extra weight and probably burning extra fuel.

3 banks at 15 amps at 14.4 volts is 648 watts. Assuming the charger is 80% efficient a 800 watt generator would handle it. I would probably go for 1,000 watts to have a little extra capacity. Anything bigger and you are carrying extra weight and probably burning extra fuel.

Awesome, thanks!

Honda eu series !!! Hands down best suitcase generator on the market !

I concur! (Pretty sure I do)
I've been looking for an excuse to buy one for a while now, my buddy has one. ...I just have too many generators. My smallest is a Yamaha EF2400 and I think a bit too big for the boat.

What are they going for these days? I found this:
http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Honda-EU1000IKC-Portable-Generator/p6548.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=+eu1000i&utm_campaign=models honda
I have 3 of them , we use them in the field when there is no power . My guys take care of them but they get used and I mean used from 100 degree days to -40!! They always start up no matter what !
I bought 2 off eBay brand new and one off Craigslist (used). Are you looking for 220v power or just 110? I would look for a nice used one on Craig's or eBay , the new models have gfci outlets In them and have commercial emblem on them . ( not that it matters , I cut out the duplex outlet and installed a gfci on 2 of mine ) per osha lol . They also offer a camo version of the honda eu 2000 ;) they sell for $1000 all day long , and used are usually around 800 ish . They hold there value !

Before my honda I had a Generac that I got after installing a 20 kW back up generator for free , It lasted maybe 10 hours before it burned the invertor up !!! Take in mind they are half the price of a honda!!! Don't waste your money !!! I was not happy ! I found out they had massive problems with them because of cheap over seize parts.....

I would recommend a honda eu 2000 250-300$ more and it more versitile !

You can't beet the honda eu 2000. I use it as backup power and can power everything in my house except the 220v appliances. Plus it runs for 9+ hours on a gallon of fuel. I also use it to keep my batteries on the boat charged during the long days and nights at party cove.

How long are you going to be away, and why do you think you'll need to recharge your batteries via a generator? I would leave my boat in a slip with no shore power and learned that with the bilge on a stock start battery would last just over 2 weeks before being to depleted to start the boat. If you swap out the back pressure bilge it would last even longer.

But perhaps you plan to run your batteries down big time with a huge stereo?

Yeah I go to a Sand Bar, and will be playing my radio all day long... I have a pretty ridiculous stereo and 2 group 27s isolated just for it, but want to be sure that I can top the batteries off each night.....

Back