• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What to look for <buying a used boat>

n1111z

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have my eye on a '13 242. My first boat buy. What are some main things I should look at, or be concerned about. Is it common practice to get a professional inspection/survey, and are people doing that kind of work easy to find? Thanks!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Actually, the trepidation over just that (has the boat been taken care of? do I get a surveyor? where do I find one? i have had a house inspector--they were worthless--is this the same? can i adequately inspect myself) which kept me from going used for my first boat buy. My thought was, yes, I will pay more, but I will get a new boat and will know where it has been. Might I do differently on my second? I might. At least now I feel more comfortable on what to look for and how to know if a surveyor is talking fast.

Not really saying you should do one way or the other. Just sharing my experience and thoughts.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
On top of what @Julian posted, is it a salt water or fresh water boat?

n1111z

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Salt water and will remain in salt water.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Salt water and will remain in salt water.
No worries there. Same with me. Was just gonna have you look into the transom area under the swim platform and check the hose clamps. That boat is new enough you shouldn't have to worry, but I found some of my clamps had rusted and broken off.