• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What's your favorite Bourbon?

agannole93

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Was going to start an infinity blend. That is, get to remaining 20% of bottle then top it off with different bourbon. Repeat. Repeat and repeat. Eventually will end up a mixture of all tastes from personal collection. Got the idea from YouTube. Could do the same for scotch as well. Anyone heard of this before?
Infinity bottles are pretty common. I've debated starting one up as well, but I'm always hesitant to blend different bourbons/whiskeys together (some I like, some I don't as much). I have a fear I'll waste the last couple pours of Eagle Rare blending it with something cheaper or a different flavor profile and it'll end up spoiling it.

agannole93

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My day to day is Jim Beam Vanilla... My spoil myself is Buffalo Trace...
If you want a solid, unflavored bourbon at a low price as a day to day, give Evan Williams Bottled in Bond (white label) a try. You won't be disappointed, it's a solid pour for the price.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My new favorite is Buffalo Trace. Only because I found a source near me where I can get a 1L bottle for around $30

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
My new favorite is Buffalo Trace. Only because I found a source near me where I can get a 1L bottle for around $30
Yep, this is my go to... it's hard to find around here lately

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had never seen it in a 1.75 before, and last summer we were at a friend of a friend's house who had one. Told me he gets it for $40-45, can't remember exactly, but then he wouldn't tell me WHERE.

I drank him down a fair bit to punish him, but I still don't have the info. Secret-havin' bastard! 😅

Yamaholic

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I had never seen it in a 1.75 before, and last summer we were at a friend of a friend's house who had one. Told me he gets it for $40-45, can't remember exactly, but then he wouldn't tell me WHERE.

I drank him down a fair bit to punish him, but I still don't have the info. Secret-havin' bastard! 😅

I love this whole thread, which I realize is probably problematic. It’s interesting to see what people can get in their states compared to others. I, for instance, used to drink Eagle Rare every week and tell people about it, and now I can’t get it due to our allocations. Crazy to think the cases I would have bought and stored had I known it would reach this madness. I actually just got a bottle today I’ll never open because of a relationship with a liquor store (again, I know this is a problem-ha). Because of all the bourbon madness I’m seriously looking to scotch, which I’ve never really gotten into before. On recommendation from the same liquor store I started with a Glenlivet 15. It’s convinced me to get into it, but I was disappointed it was 80 proof. That’s probably obvious, but a problem when my go to bourbon has become old grandad 114.
I’m mostly a stalker to learn from everyone’s boat knowledge, but felt compelled to share. Happy drinking! Boating season soon!

agannole93

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I love this whole thread, which I realize is probably problematic. It’s interesting to see what people can get in their states compared to others. I, for instance, used to drink Eagle Rare every week and tell people about it, and now I can’t get it due to our allocations. Crazy to think the cases I would have bought and stored had I known it would reach this madness. I actually just got a bottle today I’ll never open because of a relationship with a liquor store (again, I know this is a problem-ha). Because of all the bourbon madness I’m seriously looking to scotch, which I’ve never really gotten into before. On recommendation from the same liquor store I started with a Glenlivet 15. It’s convinced me to get into it, but I was disappointed it was 80 proof. That’s probably obvious, but a problem when my go to bourbon has become old grandad 114.
I’m mostly a stalker to learn from everyone’s boat knowledge, but felt compelled to share. Happy drinking! Boating season soon!
@Yamaholic where are you located? I also have a trouble with allocations, but was able to come home to AL at Christmas with 4 bottles of ER from VT.

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Like a bourbon suicide? Sounds neat. Stopped drinking bourbon years ago. The Last straw was waking up in the middle of the night to go pee. Pulling wife's t shirt drawer out, dispensing exessive bodily fluids , closing said drawer then passing back out. Yep jack you got me again ole friend. Cheers!

Yamaholic

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
@Yamaholic where are you located? I also have a trouble with allocations, but was able to come home to AL at Christmas with 4 bottles of ER from VT.
Iowa. (Short but treasured boating season)
It wasn’t a problem at all until a couple years ago. I primarily regret using it as my go to in those years when it was available and not stockpiling as a go to for more special occasions. I try to check out the liquor selection whenever I travel, and this is now on the list.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
The wife just opened a bottle a Jefferson's Ocean Aged at Sea that I picked up a few weeks ago. I've got to say, I wasn't expecting anything great, but was pleasantly surprised, it was actually quite good.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Because of all the bourbon madness I’m seriously looking to scotch, which I’ve never really gotten into before. On recommendation from the same liquor store I started with a Glenlivet 15. It’s convinced me to get into it, but I was disappointed it was 80 proof. That’s probably obvious, but a problem when my go to bourbon has become old grandad 114.
IMO, LOTS more flavor(s) to be had with Scotch, but they just price the stuff so ridiculously, that they keep people OUT. The wide range of flavors also really throws people. I've had women tell me they hate it, and can't stand the stuff, only to find out they had some doosh either playing pretentious knob, or pranking her with a peat bomb, and then thinking it's funny when she gags. I get them the nicest tamest intro, Glenlivet 12, and they can't believe both types are scotch. Someone, somewhere, had the opportunity to introduce them to all that scotch has to offer, and they chose to be a jerk about it for whatever reason, instead of easing them into it and explaining what makes/causes things to be wildly different.

Tastes are tastes, and people who think theirs is the correct one, without taking into account what others may enjoy, aren't the people I want to hang out with. I have a friend who brews beer with his neighbors. They ALL enjoy IPA's, and without fail, ALWAYS want me to try theirs, and then proceed to tell me I don't know my asshole from my elbow when I tell them I can't stand IPA's, and I "just haven't tried theirs yet". No, it's not my thing - AT ALL. Stouts, porters, bocks, any dark beer is for me, no matter the time of year, and that's just what I enjoy, so stop trying to force me to love IPA's. I'm doing you a favor, and leaving more for you to drink, so how about taking a cue, and pointing out some things I might like, instead of forcing your tasting opinions down my throat? LOL

You'll really enjoy Scotch, other than the (generally) lower proof. The wild differences in areas can be further explored based on ingredients, aging, and what they're stored in. I find it fascinating, but I can also see how someone can find it overwhelming, and want to stick to "simple". Like beer, whatever floats your boat. The point is to enjoy what you're drinking, and if you're also with friends, all the better.

I think you'll like the 15, but I find the 12 to be the better one of those two, and the 18 to be a waste of money. None are overwhelming, but then again, none are anything other than easily available and drinkable. Glenfiddich is a nice improvement over Glenlivet, IMO, but again, individual tastes... 🤷 Tomatin is another that should be easy to find, easier on the wallet, and pretty decent selection to fit what you like in taste. In my area, I can get more than a few different little tasters, which has helped. Once you find something you like, the internet can help you find something similar to branch out with, and you can go from there.

Pinkies up!

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Free is my fav! I’m good with Knob Creek and Woodford Reserve - Double Barrel Oaked. I’m pretty basic

Joshua Miller

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
IMO, LOTS more flavor(s) to be had with Scotch, but they just price the stuff so ridiculously, that they keep people OUT. The wide range of flavors also really throws people. I've had women tell me they hate it, and can't stand the stuff, only to find out they had some doosh either playing pretentious knob, or pranking her with a peat bomb, and then thinking it's funny when she gags. I get them the nicest tamest intro, Glenlivet 12, and they can't believe both types are scotch. Someone, somewhere, had the opportunity to introduce them to all that scotch has to offer, and they chose to be a jerk about it for whatever reason, instead of easing them into it and explaining what makes/causes things to be wildly different.

Tastes are tastes, and people who think theirs is the correct one, without taking into account what others may enjoy, aren't the people I want to hang out with. I have a friend who brews beer with his neighbors. They ALL enjoy IPA's, and without fail, ALWAYS want me to try theirs, and then proceed to tell me I don't know my asshole from my elbow when I tell them I can't stand IPA's, and I "just haven't tried theirs yet". No, it's not my thing - AT ALL. Stouts, porters, bocks, any dark beer is for me, no matter the time of year, and that's just what I enjoy, so stop trying to force me to love IPA's. I'm doing you a favor, and leaving more for you to drink, so how about taking a cue, and pointing out some things I might like, instead of forcing your tasting opinions down my throat? LOL

You'll really enjoy Scotch, other than the (generally) lower proof. The wild differences in areas can be further explored based on ingredients, aging, and what they're stored in. I find it fascinating, but I can also see how someone can find it overwhelming, and want to stick to "simple". Like beer, whatever floats your boat. The point is to enjoy what you're drinking, and if you're also with friends, all the better.

I think you'll like the 15, but I find the 12 to be the better one of those two, and the 18 to be a waste of money. None are overwhelming, but then again, none are anything other than easily available and drinkable. Glenfiddich is a nice improvement over Glenlivet, IMO, but again, individual tastes... 🤷 Tomatin is another that should be easy to find, easier on the wallet, and pretty decent selection to fit what you like in taste. In my area, I can get more than a few different little tasters, which has helped. Once you find something you like, the internet can help you find something similar to branch out with, and you can go from there.

Pinkies up!
I hate IPA’s too. Much too bitter—good to know I’m not the only one.

Yamaholic

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length

Pinkies up!
Appreciate it. I’m definitely heading down the rabbit hole of scotch. I love the glenlivet 15, but would like a bit more [something]. I’ll take your recommendations. I also am excited to check out my Costco, as I haven’t seriously before (beyond stocking my well bourbon with something nice). Also, I always appreciate your posts on the memes forum -ha !

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I've never seen a single bottle of Blanton's for sale in a liquor store, but somehow managed to find and purchase 4 bottles yesterday.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Appreciate it. I’m definitely heading down the rabbit hole of scotch. I love the glenlivet 15, but would like a bit more [something]. I’ll take your recommendations. I also am excited to check out my Costco, as I haven’t seriously before (beyond stocking my well bourbon with something nice). Also, I always appreciate your posts on the memes forum -ha !
Read up on Macallan 12. If your Costco has it, it'll be spendier than you might be comfortable with, but if you hate it, I'm willing to come by and finish the bottle off for you 😁 It's a perfect example of what I'm talking about with Scotch - the Glenlivet 12 and the Macallan 12 couldn't be more different. I like my flavors to be a bit more "present", if that makes sense. The Macallan does it for me. I was able to test it in a cigar bar, and ended up buying a bottle when I saw it in Costco. The Glenlivet is vastly different, easily approachable, and easy to find out in public, if you want to try it before you buy it. The Macallan is close to twice the price, but more enjoyable to me, and still nice to introduce someone to Scotch IMO.

IIRC, Costco has a blended scotch that's pretty darn good for the price (and considering that if it sucks, it's got that Kirkland name on it, so just take it back and get a full refund!), and I think they had an age-statement Scotch at one of the clubs in my area, but I can't recall the age, maybe 10 or 12 year? Haven't tried it, I blew my dough on the Macallan!

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've never seen a single bottle of Blanton's for sale in a liquor store, but somehow managed to find and purchase 4 bottles yesterday.
They took to "hiding" them quite a while back in my area. You're either on a list to buy, and they'll call you when they get it in, or you're not interested so you never really notice they don't have it on the shelf.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I kind of noticed that last night. The fourth bottle I picked up was "put back" for the stores regulars.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Alright, anyone want to do some swapping on some bottles of Blanton's? I would like to build a complete set. I've got 2 unopened bottles with the #2 "N" or the "N:", that I would like to trade for bottles with a different letter. Since you can't legally ship bourbon without a license, it would need to be a local or fairly local meet up to swap. One bottle is still in the box with the bag, the other is just the bottle with no box or bag, and I will trade accordingly.

Last edited: