• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Where to install extra pair of cockpit speakers sx210

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I am trying to plan out my install before I buy my gear from earmark. I am planning to go with 6 JL mx650 coax speakers + an ib sub. Only thing I am not sure of is where to mount the extra pair of mx650s. Looks like the only real spot on drivers side is on the combing below the throttles by the drivers feet. I would rather not have the port side on down low by the floor where it can be easily kicked by passengers, though, but there are pretty limited options. One spot I was looking at is up by the glove box close to the passenger side windshield. Between the clove box and windshield appears to be a flat spot just big enough for a speaker. You would def get some sound reflection off of the windshield though. Has anybody mounted a speaker there? How did it work out?

Not heard of anyone mounting one there....how about a pic of the spot?

To work to the left of the glove box, though, it would have to be pretty far back toward the seat (as opposed to forward toward the windshield), which might just look kind of odd. I'm thinking that having an extra pair in the cockpit would definitely make the vocals and high notes more clearly audible underway. Just really not sure where to put them other than down close to the floor. There are not a lot of flat spaces on a 2011 SX210!

Mounting a speaker atop the dash requires dedicated amplifier channels for those speakers in order to offset the positional advantage, otherwise those speakers are all you will hear.
Placing the speakers so that they are in a wedge (between the dash and windshield) and reflecting off the windshield, definitely introduces some peaks and nulls in the response, also making them sound different than the other coaming speakers. Certainly the JL Audio MX650 with a soft dome tweeter and very smooth response will survive this dash location better than the typical coaxial with a metal dome tweeter.
Atop the dash provides more output to the driver/observer when underway but has the effects mentioned above. So make the trade-off that best suites your objectives.
Btw, the JL marine grills are pretty rugged.

Thanks, David! I'm thinking of using a JL XD600/6 with one channel dedicated to each MX650. If I run a sub, it would be run on its own amp. My wife is not particularly in favor of the sub so I'll almost certainly run the 6 MX650s on their own for at least a while. Regarding mounting down by the floor, the grills do look tough but the tweeters look kind of exposed. No?

The tweeters radiate through a fine perforated pattern that protects the tweeters VERY well.
Remember that these are built to withstand off-shore elements with salt spray that is akin to liquid sandpaper.
So no worries in your case.
The lower the speakers the less treble and the more midbass with the inverse being true as you elevate the speaker above the coaming tub.
Using a tone control, it's much easier and less demanding of power and speaker to accentuate higher frequencies than lower frequencies. It's also easier to make small and uniform tonal adjustments when all speakers are close to the same elevation.

Thanks so much for the info and guidance! Sounds like I need to revise the plan to have the speakers down lower and not up on the dash.

Back