• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha 195S Saltwater usage/maintenance

aquilotti1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Hello,

I just bought a brand new 2024 Yamaha 195S. I live in Miami Florida. The boat will be used primarily in saltwater. My biggest concern is preventing any issues with corrosion. I went down a rabbit hole and started researching on how to wash down the boat and engine. It did leave me with some questions regarding the various products and frequency of usage. I'll just list those to keep it simple.

1. How many times a year would you clean down the inside of the engine compartment with Yamalube?
  2. Do I need to spray Yamalube on the jet intake grate, jet thrust nozzle, articulating keel and all other metal parts other entire boat like the cleats, all the bolts, ladder?
  3. When washing down the engine is Saltaway a must? or Fresh water for 5 minutes gets the job done?
  4. Should I was down the rest of the boat (interior, hull etc.) with Saltaway every time OR just fresh water should be fine?
  5. Should I use fresh water to wash down the Vinyl Seat cushions or just Vinyl cleaning products?
  6. In regard to the TRAILER, what would be the proper way to clean it out using Yamalube, freshwater and Saltaway? Or just fresh water? (comes with Galvanized Trailer)
If you have any other tips to add those are also welcomed. This is my very first boat I'm buying, I know some of these questions are total rookie questions but I'm just terrified to not make any mistakes and keeping my brand-new boat in pristine conditions throughout its lifespan. Thank you.

Beachcampin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I've gotten a bunch of different opinions on that; from fresh water only, the other stuff is just a rip off - to your ruining your boat if you don't use the most expensive stuff all the time.

One tip the old fisherman around here taught me with respect to trailer maintenance though I think I'm going to adopt. They carry a garden sprayer with salt away in it and then spray down the critical components of the trailer after launching the boat before getting under way. Apparently the trailer doesn't like sitting in the sun all day after being dunked in salt water. who knew. I've seen reports on here about our trailers not doing all that well in salt water, so I'm going to start this to hopefully get a little more life out of it.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Congrats on the purchase!

There are a lot of posts on this site about caring for your boat when using it in salt water, use the search function.

Hello,

I just bought a brand new 2024 Yamaha 195S. I live in Miami Florida. The boat will be used primarily in saltwater. My biggest concern is preventing any issues with corrosion. I went down a rabbit hole and started researching on how to wash down the boat and engine. It did leave me with some questions regarding the various products and frequency of usage. I'll just list those to keep it simple.

1. How many times a year would you clean down the inside of the engine compartment with Yamalube? If I was using my boat in salt water I would at least rinse the engine bay and aft bilge with fresh water after every use, and spray down those areas with Silicone spray as needed to keep the water beading up.
  2. Do I need to spray Yamalube on the jet intake grate, jet thrust nozzle, articulating keel and all other metal parts other entire boat like the cleats, all the bolts, ladder? No, but I’d be sure to rinse with fresh water, salt away, then rinse.
  3. When washing down the engine is Saltaway a must? or Fresh water for 5 minutes gets the job done? Use both as per the instructions.
  4. Should I was down the rest of the boat (interior, hull etc.) with Saltaway every time OR just fresh water should be fine? Salt away and then rinse with fresh water
  5. Should I use fresh water to wash down the Vinyl Seat cushions or just Vinyl cleaning products? Yes, I would think fresh water, then salt away, then rinse with fresh water.
  6. In regard to the TRAILER, what would be the proper way to clean it out using Yamalube, freshwater and Saltaway? Or just fresh water? (comes with Galvanized Trailer) I saw a video a while back where a guy kept a Hudson sprayer in his pick up filled with fresh water and he would take just a few minutes to rinse down his boat trailer after he launched his boat, especially the axles, springs and brakes. There are some folks that swear by CRC I think it’s 656, which is an anti corrosion spray, they spray down anything that could rust on the trailer when everything is dry.
If you have any other tips to add those are also welcomed. This is my very first boat I'm buying, I know some of these questions are total rookie questions but I'm just terrified to not make any mistakes and keeping my brand-new boat in pristine conditions throughout its lifespan. Thank you.
Congrats on the purchase!

There are a lot of posts on this site about caring for your boat when using it in salt water, use the search function.

See my bold / italicized responses. I’m a fresh water guy, my answers are based on what I’ve read here. Don’t be terrified about making mistakes, do your research here to well prepared, the boat is going to get nicks, scratches etc if you use it, but all that can be repaired easily at home. Read the owners manual, do your homework here and go have fun.

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I live in Miami Florida.
Lmk if you ever need a hand. Miami local here. Sold my boat last year but still know the area.
Make sure to go out of Haulover if you dare. You may make it on wavy boats.

I would wash everything down including engine every time and run dishwashing soap down the flush port as you run engine.
let it dry and spray everything. Keep it looking like new.

In order to get all the water out, you may have to jack up front a little higher for it to drain out

Pictures of it didn't happen;)

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
This depends on how meticulous you want to keep your boat.

The musts for salt:

1. Rinse down trailer with salt-away
2. Flush Engine for 5 minutes.
3. Freshwater rinse boat inside/out.

What I would recommend for longest-lasting of everything:

1. Carry a portable sprayer and spray trailer components with salt-away after launch once you park your truck.
1a. If possible, dunk trailer in freshwater ramp on way home. (A bit overkill)
2. Once home - flush for 5 minutes and then put a few drops of dawn in the hose and run for 10 seconds, rev out remaining water.
3. Spray boat and trailer down in salt-away.
4. Soap & Water bath for inside and outside of boat. You can use interior cleaner for inside if you want, but I find soap and water work best for trips and specialized cleaner once a month for deeper clean.
5. Dry with micro-fiber towels
6. Put cover on.

As far as Yamaha Lube - anything metal inside the boat (think hinges), pretty much everything in the engine bay, jet area, and trailer components based on usage. If used a lot, I would go monthly, if used less quarterly should be fine.

Another note would to ensure the boat doesn't take on water (i.e. anchor locker). The water gets back to engine bay and can splash up causing corrosion. Other than that, follow the tips above and the boat will look new after 100s of hours.

Danielmailin

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I've had my boat since 2015 190 FSH, 230 hours all saltwater in south Florida. Saltaway 1st 5 minutes and then fresh water. Wash boat with carwash soap and lots of fresh water. Keep boat covered after it's dried up. One thing that you will have to change, no matter what you do to protect it, is change the steering and bucket cable, it will start to get hard around 100 hours, lubing it may make it better, but around 150 hours you will have to replace it. Not a difficult job. Other than that, your normal maintenance, spark plugs at 100 hours, keep batteries charged and don't forget to lube your trailer hubs. Forgot one more thing, your trailer harness will have to be redone about 100 hours as it was not made for saltwater use, again not a difficult job.

If you have any other questions, let me know.
Enjoy your boat!

Last edited:

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I've had my boat since 2015 190 FSH, 230 hours all saltwater in south Florida. Saltaway 1st 5 minutes and then fresh water. Wash boat with carwash soap and lots of freshly water. Keep boat covered after it's dried up. One thing that you will have to change, ni matter what you di to protect it, is change the steering and bucket cable, it will start to get hard around 100 hours, lubing it may make it better, but around 150 hours you will have to replace it. Not a difficult job. Other then that, your normal maintenance, spark plugs at 100 hours, keep batteries charged and don't forget to lube your trailer hubs. Forgot one more thing, your trailer harness will have to be redone about 100 hours as it was not made for saltwater use, again not a difficult job.

If you have any other questions, let me know.
Enjoy your boat!
multiple boats well past 100 hours and never had to replace the cables

Danielmailin

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Then you have been lucky, this cables have no protection for saltwater and when one of them goes, the other one is not far, might as well replaced them both. Not fun once the cable jams in one position. Again, not a big job, and can be done at home after buying the cables. Lots of threads on how to do it.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
One trick for cables is to pull the end cap from the outer cable and then pack some bees wax into the cable and then put the cap back on . Bees wax won't wash off and will help to keep water out of the cable as well as lube it.

aquilotti1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
One trick for cables is to pull the end cap from the outer cable and then pack some bees wax into the cable and then put the cap back on . Bees wax won't wash off and will help to keep water out of the cable as well as lube it.
where exactly are the steering cables that need to be greased? Thank you

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The ends by the nozzle that are in the water

FX195

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
263 hrs on original steering cable. Rinsed with fresh water then turn steering wheel to full lock left to right to remove any excess water, then immediately coat with PTFE spray lubricant. Also put fresh water into bilge until bilge pump started to expel water. The biggest issue with rust were the cheap hose clamps in engine bay and under clean out tray. Replace them with SS as soon as you can.

aquilotti1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
263 hrs on original steering cable. Rinsed with fresh water then turn steering wheel to full lock left to right to remove any excess water, then immediately coat with PTFE spray lubricant. Also put fresh water into bilge until bilge pump started to expel water. The biggest issue with rust were the cheap hose clamps in engine bay and under clean out tray. Replace them with SS as soon as you can.
On the steering cables for the PTFE spray lubricant could I use the Yamashield Lube that I would be using on the engine compartment?

FX195

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is what I used..can be purchased at Ace Hardware or AmazonScreenshot_20240218-132747_Samsung Internet.jpg

FX195

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have never used the Yamaha stuff, hard for me to say. I did read that it creates a waxy film, seems like its more of a protectant. Give it a try, any protection is better than none. Def is not going to hurt it.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Yes you can be sure to spray every electrical connection you see and every clamp on the hoses just do not coat the anodes those won't work if they are coated or painted

aquilotti1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I have never used the Yamaha stuff, hard for me to say. I did read that it creates a waxy film, seems like its more of a protectant. Give it a try, any protection is better than none. Def is not going to hurt it.
yea that’s what I’m concerned if it’s waxy it might not allow the steering cables to slide correctly restricting the smoothness of the steering itself

aquilotti1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Yes you can be sure to spray every electrical connection you see and every clamp on the hoses just do not coat the anodes those won't work if they are coated or painted
Thanks for the tip. Sorry my ignorance but what are anodes and the location on the boat?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
yea that’s what I’m concerned if it’s waxy it might not allow the steering cables to slide correctly restricting the smoothness of the steering itself
ok take that thought roll it up and throw it in the trash can and never waste another minute on it for the rest of your life SERIOUSLY!!!