• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Yamaha 252X favors right turns

gthorson

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
I am trying to understand why my boat turns sharper to to the right than to the left. I've been having a blast with the new boat. I got it set up with Cobra fins and have the steering centered well. It is quite noticeable though and when pulling a tube I get tired of favoring one side. Any thoughts? My brain hasn't been able to identify a reason or an adjustment that I can make. Rotation of the impellers and jet wash maybe?

I am trying to understand why my boat turns sharper to to the right than to the left. I've been having a blast with the new boat. I got it set up with Cobra fins and have the steering centered well. It is quite noticeable though and when pulling a tube I get tired of favoring one side. Any thoughts? My brain hasn't been able to identify a reason or an adjustment that I can make. Rotation of the impellers and jet wash maybe?

My guess is the nature of having twin engines that both spin the same direction so the torque is assisting one direction

Hello @gthorson. I have a 2021 195S, no steering enhancements. I have always felt the same when pulling the kids on the tube. Seems easier to sling the tube to one of the sides (I can't recall at the moment which side that is :) ).

<edit> I always assumed it was weight distribution in the boat.

Following this thread.

Last edited:
Twin engine 21' here - both directions turn equal for me. How often do you use Yamalube on your steering cables?

Twin engine 21' here - both directions turn equal for me. How often do you use Yamalube on your steering cables?
I haven't at all yet. I didn't think the cables would come into play. I don't even know if I have cables (E-model). The issue isn't how hard it is to turn full, rather at full turn it isn't as sharp of a turn.

I haven't at all yet. I didn't think the cables would come into play. I don't even know if I have cables (E-model). The issue isn't how hard it is to turn full, rather at full turn it isn't as sharp of a turn.

You have cables, but I believe your e-model uses an extra box behind the helm to turn mechanical into electrical, and then back into mechanical. Because technology has to be complicated? Anyway...

Here's my suggestion:
1) From the back of the boat, turn both pumps (with your hands) all the way to port, so your steering cable is extended out as far as possible.
2) Spray Yamalube liberally (dye your hair pink and get a nose ring) on the extended portion of the cable. You can use silicon if you want, but Yamalube puts a water-proof coating on. Highly recommend it.
3) Work the nozzles back and forth by hand, spraying and turning.
4) Get into the habit of doing that after each outing, if possible.

Then while you're back there:
1) Use a square on the transom to your rudder (both sides) and get the rudder as true center/squared as possible.
2) Measure from the pump plate to the eyelet hole of your steering cable. Your "X" model will probably have a slight toe-in on the port jet, called "surf point."
You're looking for:
11.3" on port jet
12.3" on stbd jet

If either of these are way out of whack, you'll know why your boat isn't turning as easily in one direction vs the other. Also, you can get rid of "surf point" toe in if you want, it won't hurt anything in either your running ability or surfing ability.

Follow up.

I got into the steering adjustments and decided to re-center. I unhooked the steering cable/actuators at the nozzle, centered the steering wheel between full left/right, straightened the nozzles (got rid of the toe-in/toe-out), and reattached everything. It didn't seem like a lot of adjustment but it made a big difference. It now turns pretty evenly, I lost a little to the right but picked up more that I lost with way better left hand turning. I also picked up a little bit of speed. It also seems like the jet wash falls quicker and doesn't hit the tube as easily.

Back