• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Yamaha---my cooler idea for your new 2015 242....

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Someone pointed out that the new flip up hinged seats are nice, but where do you put a cooler? Well guys....why not get a cooler with a hinged lid that would attach to the bottom of that hinged seat. Then PRESTO, you open the seat and it opens the cooler!!!! Make it a simple bungee connection so you can easily disconnect and remove the cooler! I already have a cooler with a lengthwise hinged lid....so this doesn't require a new cooler! Give the owner one with the boat, and an additional bungee "bracket" they can add to an existing one.

You can send me a 2015 AR242 for this idea! :winkingthumbsup"

OR... they should insulate that compartment (as part of sound dampening) and make it self draining. Then call it "insulated wet storage" so all you have to do is dump a 20# bag of ice into it with your drinks.

The older 230 boats have that front compartment insulated as a cooler and self draining but it's not our primary cooler because those seat cushions are very hard to raise, and even that much harder to raise when the bow filler cushion is in. And while there is a drain, I hate it, because the drain is so high and a large amount of water is always left behind that I have to manually get out. I don't understand why they couldn't have put the drain in lower to let every last drop of water drain out.

I have actually thought of cutting out the cooler and just making it more storage and then gaining better access to the helm compartment.

I can no longer search for the link on the other forum but a guy cut out a section of the rear seat and hinged it so he could have easy access to the cooler below. It turned out pretty sweet and had a nice factory look to it.

This could be what I was thinking of, but I can't check for sure. Pretty slick.

http://yamahajetboaters.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=241&t=58549

Last edited:
The older 230 boats have that front compartment insulated as a cooler and self draining but it's not our primary cooler because those seat cushions are very hard to raise, and even that much harder to raise when the bow filler cushion is in. And while there is a drain, I hate it, because the drain is so high and a large amount of water is always left behind that I have to manually get out. I don't understand why they couldn't have put the drain in lower to let every last drop of water drain out.

I have actually thought of cutting out the cooler and just making it more storage and then gaining better access to the helm compartment.

I agree, the drain location is just plain silly. We have never used the cooler under the front seat. We pack our cooler at the house and the drinks are cold when we get to the river. That's why Julian's idea of a removable cooler with a dedicated spot is so good.

If you cut out your cooler let us know how it goes. My guess is that the compartment below the cooler is completely unfinished with lots of fiberglass sticking out in every direction, which makes me very hesitant to cut out the cooler. For now we will just continue putting our front fender and dock line in the cooler.

"If you cut out your cooler let us know how it goes. My guess is that the compartment below the cooler is completely unfinished with lots of fiberglass sticking out in every direction, which makes me very hesitant to cut out the cooler. "

Probably not "finished" per se', but it most likely has been shot with white gel coat as much of the interior unseen hull has. Again, only from having climbed around inside my boat and cutting holes in it has this been my experience, I can't speak for the newer models, but typically during the lay-up process the laminate is hand rolled to get all the fibers to lay down. Once cured they give it a quick shot of gel coat to seal it. Some manufactures do, some don't.

The best thing to do is what Yamaha has done on the other models, glue down indoor/outdoor carpet - voila' you have a storage compartment. :cool:

The newer boats, at least my 2012, is much more finished inside the compartments, even where there is no carpet @Glassman . When I went into the compartments of the 230, I came out with splinters, no matter where or how long. Not so in the 240, not a splinter yet!

I agree, the drain location is just plain silly. We have never used the cooler under the front seat. We pack our cooler at the house and the drinks are cold when we get to the river. That's why Julian's idea of a removable cooler with a dedicated spot is so good.

If you cut out your cooler let us know how it goes. My guess is that the compartment below the cooler is completely unfinished with lots of fiberglass sticking out in every direction, which makes me very hesitant to cut out the cooler. For now we will just continue putting our front fender and dock line in the cooler.
So we actually use our cooler all the time. Has been big enough for our needs and things stay cold the entire trip. The only thing I dislike is the drain location and it would be nice if it could be hinged. I don't find it difficult to remove except with the center pad in. But hinging it would be really nice. I have thought about moving the drain to the bottom but not sure if it is worth it.

I can't swear to it but when I initially cleaned out the helm compartment when I bought the boat and when I have since looked in there I thought there was carpet on the floor. Don't know if it goes all the way underneath or up the wall but I thought there was some well under the cooler. I will check tomorrow.

Not sure why they didn't make it deeper as there is an inch or so of space where things can get lost. And could have had a little extra volume in the cooler.

Welcome aboard @zelone !

I don't know of it is true for all SX230s but there is carpet under the bow area cooler in mine. Look forward from inside the helm and you can see it. That area was the first location that I considered for the refrigerator install. Now that I have the fridge under the co captains seat I am planning to either cut that area out to make storage or convert it into an infrequently used live well.

Someone pointed out that the new flip up hinged seats are nice, but where do you put a cooler? Well guys....why not get a cooler with a hinged lid that would attach to the bottom of that hinged seat. Then PRESTO, you open the seat and it opens the cooler!!!! Make it a simple bungee connection so you can easily disconnect and remove the cooler! I already have a cooler with a lengthwise hinged lid....so this doesn't require a new cooler! Give the owner one with the boat, and an additional bungee "bracket" they can add to an existing one.

You can send me a 2015 AR242 for this idea! :winkingthumbsup"
I may give this a try, I have a cooler that would work now but would prefer to have one with wheels.

I've use our built in cooler 5 times MAYBE. Just not convenient to transfer stuff from one cooler to another.
I agree and tend to dislike built-in coolers on any boat. Sure, its great to have a dedicated space to put a cooler instead of just taking up floorspace and sliding all around. But being able to load up an empty cooler in the house at the start of the day, and being able to take a non-empty cooler from the boat back to the house at the end of the day is so much nicer. Its also great to be able to move the cooler out on to the swim deck when beached. I say "no" to built-in coolers. Just give me storage space big enough for my cooler. I only carry soft-side coolers.

Last edited:
They come with a cooler that sits in the compartment behind the drive, like the 2014 models. But I'm going to put it in the basement and use my 24 & 36 can AO coolers.

I use the built in cooler when I've slipped my boat at Cumberland. We load it full of ice and drinks the beginning of the week. Then just kind of add to what's left of the drinks each day and more ice daily. It kind of helps reduce the amount we need to carry to the boat each day. Aside from a vacation trip like that, the built in cooler is rarely ever used.

Back