• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Waverunner wont speed up SOLVED

Twilight

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hi, my waverunner is 2017 EX Sport and I only ran it one year and not that hard. I had it completely winterized and in a barn with a cover for a while. This year I had the opportunity to pull it out again. I did have to change the battery because it drained overtime. I got in the water and normally it would reach 50mph no problems. For some reason it's get up and go power is weak. It wouldn't accelerate quickly and it only reaches 29mph at 5000 RPM. I thought it might have gotten clogged so I checked the rotor and found no issues. I also used Sea foam to help clear out any oil blockages which didn't help either. Any help would be greatly appreciated

jsg73

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Check/replace the plugs? I’m purely guessing but that seems to have caused similar problems for others in the past.

Twilight

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I just visually inspected them, I could pull them out and test them though

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Hi, my waverunner is 2017 EX Sport and I only ran it one year and not that hard. I had it completely winterized and in a barn with a cover for a while. This year I had the opportunity to pull it out again. I did have to change the battery because it drained overtime. I got in the water and normally it would reach 50mph no problems. For some reason it's get up and go power is weak. It wouldn't accelerate quickly and it only reaches 29mph at 5000 RPM. I thought it might have gotten clogged so I checked the rotor and found no issues. I also used Sea foam to help clear out any oil blockages which didn't help either. Any help would be greatly appreciated
@Twilight ......what octane gas was in your boat when you stored it? Did you put fuel stabilizer in the last tank of gas and run it through your engine before storing it? Good advice to check your plugs. If they're OK then fill your tank with 91 - 94 octane and try that. BTW you are getting full range of your throttle? BTW II.....Does your Waverunner have the "low rpm safety" feature? My 2018 did. In that mode the RPM was limited for use by kids. This feature could be turned on and off.

Twilight

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I used premium.i don't think I ran the fuel stabilizer through before storing it. As far as I know mine does not have a speed safety feature but I will double check that

Twilight

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I used premium.i don't think I ran the fuel stabilizer through before storing it. As far as I know mine does not have a speed safety feature but I will double check that
I feel like my throttle is working but it just speeds up so slow

Twilight

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So, I did extensive research and found that I had filled my oil level to high. I did not know that you have to have the waverunner heat up before checking the level. I had a soaked air filter which also came a problem. I also cleaned my fuel injectors to make sure it wasn't that. I ordered a new fuel filter and air filter. I used a spray bottle top to take out the excess oil. After a few times starting and stopping to get proper oil level. I removed quite a lot of oil excess. I am now little below the full mark and have replaced my air and oil filter. My waverunner now reaches 8k RPM no problems.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
So, I did extensive research and found that I had filled my oil level to high. I did not know that you have to have the waverunner heat up before checking the level. I had a soaked air filter which also came a problem. I also cleaned my fuel injectors to make sure it wasn't that. I ordered a new fuel filter and air filter. I used a spray bottle top to take out the excess oil. After a few times starting and stopping to get proper oil level. I removed quite a lot of oil excess. I am now little below the full mark and have replaced my air and oil filter. My waverunner now reaches 8k RPM no problems.
@Twilight ....FWIW Yamaha recommends (in their owners' manual) that you place a level on top of your engine and make sure it is level before you fill it. Yes you should check the oil level after filling it - with the oil hot. Yes, it is better to be a little low than too high.

Last edited:

Twilight

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I guess that's why it's worth reading the manual.... XD

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Don't feel bad @Twilight. Many of us found the oil overfill level the hard way. We all grew up checking our car oil level expecting to see oil at the F mark on a cold engine so naturally carried this over to all our 4 stroke equipment. Who knew Yamaha would want a L on a cold engine and an F on a warm engine.

Twilight

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Well, good thing is I saved so much money. 20$ for oil filter an 50$ for air filter ad just a few hours of research and labor would definitely beat paying Yamaha to fix it.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Don't feel bad @Twilight. Many of us found the oil overfill level the hard way. We all grew up checking our car oil level expecting to see oil at the F mark on a cold engine so naturally carried this over to all our 4 stroke equipment. Who knew Yamaha would want a L on a cold engine and an F on a warm engine.
@Gym and @Twilight .....great to realize the correction you made, your discovery then and to post it for all. FWIW I always checked my oil on the dip stick when the oil was hot then topped-up as required - with every 4 stroke I have owned: cars, boats, lawnmowers etc. Because I wet slip my boat and have to check the oil there I filled it to the correct level when on the trailer then looked where it was on the stick in the water (full of gas and gear) now I know where the oil should be when checking at my slip.....after a run when the oil is hot! :cool:

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It's so common to do and everyone warns everyone that asks.
There has been a few over oil fill problems

I love RoadKill and they tested different oil and how it kills HP at 51 sec he explains why.

Twilight

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So ..... now my waverunner ran fine for a while, but is now starting to have a really rough idle and shut off. The battery is brand new and the spark plugs are still good..... OMG

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So ..... now my waverunner ran fine for a while, but is now starting to have a really rough idle and shut off. The battery is brand new and the spark plugs are still good..... OMG
How do you know the plugs are "still good". These MR-1 motors are plug sensitive. When ever mine was acting up, first thing I did was change the plugs and presto....runs smooth. That said, plugs always lasted 2 seasons.

But if you blew threw oil into the filter, you may have fouled them.