• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Broken bunk board question

jameskeller76

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just noticed that we broke a bunk over the weekend. Didn't notice until today while it was sitting in the driveway. It was a crosswind and the wife got it sideways which likely put extra weight in the middle of the front bunk.

1) I assume I shouldn't trailer like this but no way to change it while the boat is loaded.

2) If that is the case I'm considering attaching a board from underneath to give it support.

Thoughts?

Open to any suggestions.

TIA~ !

M@__

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
I had this problem. You need to crib up the boat, but it's easy. First you chalk the trailer. Then you disconnect from the truck. Then you lower the front of the boat trailer as low as it goes. Place cribbing under the back of the boat. Next raise the front of the trailer as high as you can. Place cribbing under the front of the boat. After that you can lower the front of the trailer and the boat will be completely supported by the cribbing. Change out the bunk and you're set. Shouldn't take long, but you'll need lots of 4x4s for cribbing.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
How far is the water? How badly is it broken? Post up a pick and we'd have a better idea....

If it isn't broken badly, and you have a way to get to water easily (not a long bumpy trip), I'd get the boat off the trailer into the water...then repair...so much easier!

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If under warranty forget all this mess and headache and have the dealer fix it. I had a broken one earlier this season from probably same way you did and the dealer fixed it with no problems under warranty.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If under warranty forget all this mess and headache and have the dealer fix it. I had a broken one earlier this season from probably same way you did and the dealer fixed it with no problems under warranty.
But he still has to get it to the dealer....and that might even be further than the lake!

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As long as the boat is sitting on a board and not a metal bracket you're fine till you get the boat back to the water. In the meantime get materials together to build a new board. I had to replace my boards and hardware an couple of years ago with pressure treated 2x6s and stainless bolts and staples. I ordered bunk carpet online from Overtons I believe. I also bought an air stapler that made the job very easy. You may only need a new board since your boat is new. My stuff was ten years old and was junk so I started over. If you lived closer I'd be glad to help you out or loan some tools. This is an easy fix. Good luck!

jameskeller76

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here's what she looks like. Thank you to those that have already weighed in.

upload_2017-9-12_7-55-27.png

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

jameskeller76

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

M@__

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
Cribbing is easier than loading all your tools up launching the boat anchoring, swimming back to shore etc etc. There's less risk if something goes badly, but I won't judge you if you take it to the lake :)

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had a bunk board float away at the launch ramp this summer. At that point no damage to the boat but how to get the boat home? I left the boat at the beach, drove the 15 miles home, and did a quick temporary patch job. Then after gathering the materials to re-bunk the trailer I took the boat to the lake and rented a slip for 24 hours while I replaced all the bunks and carpets.

I now have peace of mind because I used plastic bunks, stainless bolts, and carpet. The first bunks lasted 11 years. I know the new ones will last much longer.

The thing is I had actually inspected the bunk boards and bolts a month earlier and deemed them good. But the wood was rotten inside the bunk board so the surface looked good.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Cribbing is easier than loading all your tools up launching the boat anchoring, swimming back to shore etc etc. There's less risk if something goes badly, but I won't judge you if you take it to the lake :)
Sorry....have to disagree 100% here....but I guess it depends on if you have somewhere you can dock the boat for an hour, or have someone else just drive the boat around for an hour. If you have neither of those options, then perhaps cribbing would be easier....but if you have either option, then getting the boat off the trailer is by FAR an easier approach!

1. Make your replacement bunk board (same either way)
  2. Drive to the ramp and launch your boat and tie to the dock (if you are a LONG way from water....why do you own a boat?)
  3. Remove old bunk (4-6 lag bolts) and install new one (4-6 lag bolts) - this should take 10-30 minutes depending on your skill with a driver
  4. Go back to the boat....and have a beer and a cruise! Priceless!
This also gives you an excuse to go boating (not that we need one)....plan it on a weekday evening! "Sorry honey...gotta go to the lake and fix that broken bunk....<insert best bud's name here> and I will be back later...." :thumbsup::winkingthumbsup"

jameskeller76

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry....have to disagree 100% here....but I guess it depends on if you have somewhere you can dock the boat for an hour, or have someone else just drive the boat around for an hour. If you have neither of those options, then perhaps cribbing would be easier....but if you have either option, then getting the boat off the trailer is by FAR an easier approach!

1. Make your replacement bunk board (same either way)
  2. Drive to the ramp and launch your boat and tie to the dock (if you are a LONG way from water....why do you own a boat?)
  3. Remove old bunk (4-6 lag bolts) and install new one (4-6 lag bolts) - this should take 10-30 minutes depending on your skill with a driver
  4. Go back to the boat....and have a beer and a cruise! Priceless!
This also gives you an excuse to go boating (not that we need one)....plan it on a weekday evening! "Sorry honey...gotta go to the lake and fix that broken bunk....<insert best bud's name here> and I will be back later...." :thumbsup::winkingthumbsup"
Thank @Julian. I absolutely agree with you. We were planning on boating anyway this week. I'll have the wife take the boat out until I'm done. Easy peazy.