• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Dry Storage Rack for your Boards

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I built a dry storage rack for my boards using 2x lumber and pvc pipe. Works well to get your boards up out of the way. I can't claim this as an original idea as I found some pictures on line. But here is the step by step of how I did it.

It consists of 5 racks so I made my 2x material 45" long. You can adjust to have fewer/more racks.

Materials:
1 - 2x4
2 - 10' long 1" sch 40 pvc pipe
10 - 1" 45 deg pvc elbows
10 - 1" pvc caps (optional)
Primer/Cement
2" long screws
lag bolts
Paint (optional)

Total cost - <$25 ( I already had the primer/cement, screws, lag bolts and paint...so that is not included here)

1 - I used 2x4 material to mount to the wall. I spaced the holes 10" apart starting 2 1/2" from the end of the board. I used a 1 5/8" Forstner bit to drill a 1/4" deep hole to recess the pvc elbow. I then used a 1 3/8" Forstner bit to drill completely through to account for the 1" pvc pipe. The outside diameter of sch 40 pvc pipe is slightly smaller than the 1 3/8" so it is a little loose fitting but worked fine.
IMG_20141011_170822354.jpg

2 - Test fit your elbows in the holes you drilled. My elbows had 1 side that fit perfectly and the other side was slightly heavy. I made the mistake of finding that out after I glued them up and I had to file down 2 of the elbows to fit. Glue a 2 3/8" piece of pipe in the end of the elbow that fits in the hole. I made my pipes 18" long. Glue those into the other end of the elbow. Glue or just push the cap on the other end of the 18" piece of pipe. This is optional but creates a cleaner look...IMO
IMG_20141012_105226305.jpg

3 - Lay the 2x4 on end and slip a pvc section in a hole. Make sure the elbow recesses to create a tight fit. Use a 1" piece of wood (or in my case my level) to prop the end with the cap off the ground. This will align the pipes. Hold the pipe tight and drive a screw through the 2x4 and pvc pipe. I predrilled and used 2" screws but you can use longer screws and not predrill. The key here is to get the screw through both walls of the pvc while leaving the screw in the wood on both sides. You can choose to use glue here as well but I wanted the option of removing these if necessary. I also thought about sending a dowel through the entire thickness of 2x4 but it was getting late and I didn't feel like going back to the store. I can always do later on.
IMG_20141012_105127450_HDR.jpg

4 - Picture of screw through both sides of pvc. I used a japanese saw to trim the pvc flush with the 2x4.
IMG_20141012_105138718.jpg

IMG_20141012_105151516.jpg

5 - I mounted the racks using 3/8" lag bolts (had on hand). Yes, I went overboard like I usually do. I ended up using 4 lag bolts per side. I have my skis & LF Fish up and will be adding the kids boogie boards to the top 2 racks and the kids CWB Bella wakeboard (on order) to the bottom rack upside down.
IMG_20141012_135930696_HDR.jpg

I will say that spacing the holes 10" apart at a 45 deg angle made the slots a little tight for my skis and their bindings. You may want to make this larger if you are going to store things with bindings. I also was originally planning to use 22 1/2 deg elbows but Lowes/HD don't carry them so I opted for the 45 deg.

This was a quick and easy project and I no longer have boards laying in the garage. If I missed anything or something doesn't make sense, let me know.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

woodard1983

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks great!!!!!

I went the lazy route and used 12" shelving brackets....yours looks MUCH nicer!!!!!

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks everyone! Just trying to pay it forward as best I can.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Very nice! I just bought a rack system for my Stand Up Paddle board. Kinda wish I had seen this first, haha.

Tollus

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I built one exactly like that a few years ago....only I didn't take the time to paint the wood. Looks great painted. I agree with the spacing....you need more than you'd think.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Another project going on the list.....

dustinjean

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Axis
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
here is the version i built last year, 2x4 with 1" wooden dowels covered with noodles but attatched the same as yours this picture was pre surf board but hopefully i will be adding a skim board this winter as well. that is nautolex marine flooring behind the jackets/noodles to keep any moisture from going into the drywall

Suchawittygal

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Very nice! I like both versions. I like the idea of the noodle coating.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I threw this together this afternoon. Partly for the product; but also to just clean up some extra supplies I had sitting around. Scrap 2x4s, 3/4" dowels, leftover bunk carpet and, of course, NOODLES!
image.jpg

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I threw this together this afternoon. Partly for the product; but also to just clean up some extra supplies I had sitting around. Scrap 2x4s, 3/4" dowels, leftover bunk carpet and, of course, NOODLES!
View attachment 14536
Nicely done! Always nice to be able to use scraps for something useful. So I got to ask...whats the painting of on the wall? It looks cool! Nice clean garage.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nicely done! Always nice to be able to use scraps for something useful. So I got to ask...whats the painting of on the wall? It looks cool! Nice clean garage.
It is actually my kitchen. I keep the boat in there since it is nicer than the garage. Okay...kidding just the old kitchen cabinets; but my wife would not put it past me to try. The paint was the same principle... I honestly became bored painting solid walls and had two gallons of color just sitting around that I wanted to use up. I figured I would have a little fun with an abstract design. It carries across to the other side. Most friends give me crap that I just did it to match my boat. No comment.image.jpg

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I think it looks great!!! Want to do another garage?

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think it looks great!!! Want to do another garage?
x2...I think it looks awesome! I am in the process of finishing off my garage and something like this might be on the drawing board now.

And you can eat off the floor too, since it is your "kitchen", right?:)

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
here is the version i built last year, 2x4 with 1" wooden dowels covered with noodles but attatched the same as yours this picture was pre surf board but hopefully i will be adding a skim board this winter as well. that is nautolex marine flooring behind the jackets/noodles to keep any moisture from going into the drywall

Are your life jackets and noodles organized by color?? damn! mine are in a pile, kept off the floor by a compressor and chainsaw
(I'm actually envious)...Going to be building one of these myself soon

dustinjean

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Axis
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
nope @justason they just happened to be in those spots while all the nicer jackets and noodles are in the boat