• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First Day, New Boat, Bad Start

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
First day on the new boat didn't go as planned. We were about 5 minutes into the second hour of break-in (1 hour at or below 6000 RPM) and were going through moderate chop, the boat started to cavitate. We shut the engines down checked the clean out ports, they were locked in place properly, we pulled them, nothing wrapped up on the drive shafts. I texted the dealership manager on his cell, Sunday being his day off. He said limp back to the dock in no-wake instead of being towed. It was after 3:00 and we hadn't had lunch, so we stopped about 2/3 of the way back anchored and enjoyed part of the day. About an hour and half later we pulled the anchor, started both engines went about 50 yards and both engines stopped. no warning lights, nothing. Got under the boat after being towed to the dock and putting on the trailer i crawled under and looked through intake grates at the impellers. no visible problem. If that wasn't enough, the knob on the starboard side that secures the tower in place came detached from the bolt. The boat won't go into storage with the tower up. Off to the dealer.
20240414_164833.jpg

222SE Tow Day One 5.14..24.jpg

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length

YoDaddy292

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Bummer. Sucks to start off that way with what should be an exciting time. Unfortunately, as you know, buying a brand new boat sometimes is an exercise in ironing out glitches.......hopefully that will be all. I had to go through ours and tighten every nut and bolt in the thing (seat hinges, grab handles, cleats, clean-out switches, and on and on). Cavitating when new is a weird one though.

David Martin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ouch.......sometimes C_ _P happens ......SORRY to hear about your day. Did you check after both engines stopped....... if the access hatch was latched properly sometimes if only one of the lock down handle miss the latch and slip off, the result will be a shut down. Thay can be vary sensitive to movements. I always test by pushing down both switches and have the wife start her up. I had the hinge vibrate loose one time just a small amount and it shut down the motor. Does not take much to ruin you day.

They can adjusted too sensitive from the factory........ and need some adjustment to push the plungers farther down to make slight movements a non problem.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
I hope it's something as simple as adjusting the hatch switches. The dealer services more than Yamahas and is at a marina. They are backed up 2 - 3 weeks, but I was told that do to circumstances I would be a priority. We'll see. I also bought it out of state and the boat is at a local dealer.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
is your marina a yamaha dealer? I would be very cautious if not, many times we see mechanics not familiar with yamaha/jet boats and it's disappointing they didn't at least give you the cleanout hatch switch advice to check while you were on the water, that is a very common issue,

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
is your marina a yamaha dealer? I would be very cautious if not, many times we see mechanics not familiar with yamaha/jet boats and it's disappointing they didn't at least give you the cleanout hatch switch advice to check while you were on the water, that is a very common issue,
They are.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
Nothing on the engines yet. The dealer did find a stick in the jet pump, which they said wasn't visible with the cover on. That explains the cavitation. Having never owned a twin engine before I didn't think to start each engine to see if they were both cavitating.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am in Atlanta this week, actually in Hapeville. I could of came out, if it was close

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
It would have been good to have gotten you out on the water if circumstances were different.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well I am here till Next Tuesday or Wednesday, maybe a quick fix than back out :) Work trip at Main office here.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
Well I am here till Next Tuesday or Wednesday, maybe a quick fix than back out :) Work trip at Main office here.
Fingers crossed. I will let you know.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I drove down From Detroit, yesterday.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
It sounds to me that the problem is solved. The stick caused the cavitation and the hatch wasn’t secured after you checked the ports. It had to be that. I say go get the boat for this weekend. My first go to when I sense cavitation is to put it reverse to hopefully spit debris back out. Try that next time. There will be plenty of next times.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
It sounds to me that the problem is solved. The stick caused the cavitation and the hatch wasn’t secured after you checked the ports. It had to be that. I say go get the boat for this weekend. My first go to when I sense cavitation is to put it reverse to hopefully spit debris back out. Try that next time. There will be plenty of next times.
We tried putting it in reverse with no luck. I may not have rev'd it enough to dislodge the stick. Hatch I believe was properly secured. Boat is being serviced. Hope for a positive result today as far as the engines. Then we have to deal with the tower knob.

David Martin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Good Luck............reversing the engines does not due much................the props are kinda like a screw they suck and push water(or a stick) in on direction only. Yamaha does not spin the prop in a different direction in reverse(to un screw a stick) it drops the reverse gate down and sends the water foward towards the bow to move backwards. NICE not having gears.......oil...seals.......clutches to wear out likes as most boat have.

My brain stills thinks of shifting in and out of gear to slow down and dock its hard to think all I doing is dropping a gate in front of the props to reverse and stop. Someday my old brain might think straight...........Ahaa who we kidding brain to old.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Good Luck............reversing the engines does not due much................the props are kinda like a screw they suck and push water(or a stick) in on direction only. Yamaha does not spin the prop in a different direction in reverse(to un screw a stick) it drops the reverse gate down and sends the water foward towards the bow to move backwards. NICE not having gears.......oil...seals.......clutches to wear out likes as most boat have.

My brain stills thinks of shifting in and out of gear to slow down and dock its hard to think all I doing is dropping a gate in front of the props to reverse and stop. Someday my old brain might think straight...........Ahaa who we kidding brain to old.
I have to say, it works for me everytime. (Knock on wood) Not trying to debate you, but I do encourage people to give it a shot. I’ll admit I probably look like a fool trying to spit it out, but I know it’s short lived. Throw her in reverse, forward, reverse… boom!

David Martin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No not trying to make fun of throwing it in reverse just pointing out she only spins in one direction..........As for a debate it is one that should be talked about. I personally will never put my engines in neutral or reverse anymore to clear debris..... hears my story...........I was leaving cannel at 4 mph I saw a debris field that was fairly wide in depth covering the entire witch cannel 20 ft wide .......no missing it....I saw it was some kind of 8 inch long bean pod that floated like a bobber up right. I knew trouble was coming about 1/2 way through I lost most forward thrust(cavitation) and my temp gauge started to climb on both engines. I did what I thought would clear her out put her in reverse then back into foward....NOT the right thing to do...as soon as I when into reverse the props turning 1200 rpms SLAMMED about 5 pounds of bean pods against a closed reverse GATE locking the gates closed in the reverse position. The long pods found every little crack and cervices pocking out locking the gates closed.

Shutting down engine I cleared clean out ports(pounds of pods) and still had locked throttles (dang beans) now one could say in 3 ft of black cannel just get out and clear the buckets..............black cannel water in Florida and have seen more than a few gators in this cannel..........sheeesh hung off the back deck and broke, pulled beans out of the gates and got my throttles back. started her up she cleared the remaining junk.

I now had a few hours to devise my plan for the return trip through bean/gator field. I approached debris shutting down one engine.(this slows water coming through that jet) about halfway through the running engine started to cavitied lost thrust, I kept her in forward and cleared the field...........started port engine she was clear....... I shut down starboard engine kept her in forward gate open, then neutral restarted and quickly went forward throttle........ she cleared nicely.

Shutting down engines and keeping the gates open as your forward movement flows water through the tubes is probably the best way to clear soft debris in my book. I never had to clear a stick, or golf ball, don't have practical advice.(knock on wood) but my best advice would be shut down and clear by hand....... possibly a quick burst of throttle(forward) open gate might clear a stick........ I would not want the stick to break free and hit the gate in reverse for sure.

Sorry for the book but good debates usually have good info come to light. IT SHOULD BE NOTED their are several types of debris like soft leaves, paper and trash a reverse to forward burst might clear this soft stuff .............moving up the scale large amounts of seaweed or bean pods and the likes......then hard debris( wood and golf balls) still shaking head on that one, and all of these require a slightly different approach to clear.