• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How do you organize your wires?

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks, but those are "high quality adhesive backed cable tie mounts"... The adhesive has to be peeled off & cleaned up to facilitate the epoxy, per insight from others further up the thread. Doable, but a PIA I am hoping to avoid. I saw a similar bag of 24 or so at my local orange big box store for about the same cost, so I could go that route or Amazon if needed.

I do appreciate you taking the time to hunt around and find a link.

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just put the glue on the adhesive backing.. the backing doesnt stick to fiberglass real good, but the plastic part sticks fine..

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
@Earmark Marine - if you have any of these square zip tie mounts (or similar) without adhesive backing I would really appreciate you sending a few along.
I believe that is the last item I need in my kit to get started on the install...when I will almost certainly discover I missed a few other things, LOL.

Oh, also, if you could throw in a couple feet of snakeskin loom, approx. 1.5" ID, that would be great. Not sure what colors you have...black, dark grey, white all would work.

Thank you for the offer, your after-sale support is much appreciated.
I just purchased from Odin w/Earmark some of the snakeskin loom and shrink tube to dress out the short runs of exposed wires on my home floor-standing speakers, rather than have the raw 10-gauge 2-cond. wire jacket show. It looks really good.
Certainly too expensive to use everywhere, more time consuming to terminate the loom ends with shrink tube, and hard to modify or add conductors after the fact. I would only use the snakeskin for places where the extra aesthetic attention is deserved and use the plastic split loom in general.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks, but those are "high quality adhesive backed cable tie mounts"... The adhesive has to be peeled off & cleaned up to facilitate the epoxy, per insight from others further up the thread. Doable, but a PIA I am hoping to avoid. I saw a similar bag of 24 or so at my local orange big box store for about the same cost, so I could go that route or Amazon if needed.

I do appreciate you taking the time to hunt around and find a link.
I bought the same big bag of the cable tie mounts at Home Depot with the adhesive tape on them, I didn't find it to bad to pull the adhesive tape off. I would remove the adhesive backing before applying your adhesive and mounting them, I just don't trust the foam adhesive backing to hold up over an extended period of time. Also be careful not to put too much adhesive on the mounts or too much in the middle because it will ooze out the middle and make installing a ty wrap difficult. Immediately after installing each mount I would run a ty wrap through the mounting holes to ensure the adhesive was cleared out.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just bumped into these on Amazon...no adhesive, looks like enough surface area for solid epoxy bond.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0052RHDJC/ref=s9_im_co_g60_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=left-2&pf_rd_r=1GWWEECWSMVBWFVCQ1DJ&pf_rd_t=3201&pf_rd_p=1953562842&pf_rd_i=typ01
Upside = cheap, looks effective. Downside = ships from Hong Kong (weeks to arrive in US).

Found same item on eBay from different seller who appears to have inventory in the US.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Amico-Black-4-5mm-Width-Cable-Tie-Base-Saddle-Type-Mount-Wire-Holder-100Pcs-/390964815798
Upside = short lead time, looks effective. Downside = almost twice the cost (but still <$8 for pack of 100).

$_57.jpg

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I think the 3M adhesive will hold surface mounted to a gelcoat surface, but mounting these behind the scenes on the rough glass side will take a dab of epoxy. I clean the adhesive cushion off and just dab a little epoxy putty on the back and 30 minutes later I am good to go!

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@GTBRMC What did you use for your adhesive? Has it held up well? Need to finish cleaning up my wiring. Thanks.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@GTBRMC What did you use for your adhesive? Has it held up well? Need to finish cleaning up my wiring. Thanks.
I used J B Weld Waterweld two part epoxy putty stick: https://www.amazon.com/J-B-Weld-8277-WaterWeld-Epoxy/dp/B000BRQ0TW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497149951&sr=8-1&keywords=J+b+weld+waterweld

I had a couple come unstuck immediately... problem was I did not knead the putty aggressively enough before applying a dab to the back of the cable tie mounts (putty contains both resin & hardener, more kneading = better activation = better hold).

Zero problems since installation.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There are 3 main types of flex wireway, the snakeskin type, the corregated auto type an the spiral wrap type. I tend to use the spiral wrap most as it seems easiest for long wires but is not very uv resistant so only lives a few seasons outdoors. . The adhesive tab wie mount are useless and fall off in a month. I peel off the adhesive and use epoxy. I will have to try the jb putty as i love that s

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Dumb question #57:

What is the function of wire wraps? Other than keeping the wires together and making them look nice, is there any function to them?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@tdonoughue , you nailed it...makes it look neater, more organized. But it is also much safer than just the wiring laying loose and disorganized. Because it makes it less likely that you will snag one loading or unloading gear adjacent to the wire runs. Snagging, or pulling, any of your wire runs can cause frustration due to electrical failures, but it can also be dangerous. It can take a little more length to get wire runs together, but in the long run, the organization of protection will make the job last longer. The wire loom coatings are not as UV resistant as the coatings on the wiring itself more than likely, but most of the wire being used isn't intended for outdoor exposure anyway. So if you do have wiring outdoors, it would be a good idea to use a wire that does have an coated insulation that resists the elements.