• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

I have officially resigned.....retirement here I come!

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Congratulations! I am retired as well and love it. We have traveled and spent more time with the family and of course the grand kids! We have been so busy we don't know how we had time to do anything when we worked! It is great!

King

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have officially resigned my job and am heading towards retirement! I can probably be counted in the "great resignation".

So now I will be figuring out what to do with myself.....some ideas:

1. Travel (plan to go to Scotland to visit my Aunt, and have a long list of places we want to go)
  2. Boating (may get my captains license)
  3. See if I can spruce up jetboaters.net a little more
  4. Volunteer at Habitat for humanity
  5. Drive for Uber (but ideally need an EV or at least a PHEV...eyeing the Ionic 5 Limited closely)
  6. Work on the "honey do" list
  7. Help people with their boats (may make a side business out of this for fun).

Last day of work is 10/7!!! Party planned for 10/8!
If you've never done it before, I can tell you that #4 is rewarding in ways you won't fully get until after you've done it.

Congratulations ! ! ! !

RNYCLV

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good for you! Not an easy choice sometimes.....looking forward to see which direction the wind takes you

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Is this a sudden decision (I note you were (are?) On vacation recently)? Or was it in the works for a while? Either way... congratulations 🎊!
Not a sudden decision...been planning it for a while. Job became toxic with new mgmt. I told them in May I was out, they asked me to stay, I stayed to ensure my team was in a good place, and in the meantime got another new boss (who wasn't told I was out - just another indicator of their complete lack of respect).

Good for you man! I think about it all the time. I just can’t seem to get past the gap between being insured and Medicare.
This isn't cheap...but its baked into the financial plan.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If you've never done it before, I can tell you that #4 is rewarding in ways you won't fully get until after you've done it.
Yeah, I've done it often, and have organized my office to participate too. I love learning from it while giving back too. Its just like boat repair....seems like you need a mechanic from the outside, but once you know how it works....its relatively easy - and learning the "tricks" and know how makes it even easier!

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
That's awesome! Can't wait to join you.

Matt_D

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Congratulations! A lot of retired people tell me they don't know how they ever had time to work with everything they're doing in retirement. I hope you love every minute of it and tell us all about it.

Coult45

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Congratulations and enjoy your time! im only a short 41 years away from the same thing!
am i silly for already starting the count down??
It's never too early to start your countdown. If you have a countdown, you probably have a plan. And if you have a plan, you have a better chance of making it a reality. My countdown is at 97 days.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
I have officially resigned my job and am heading towards retirement! I can probably be counted in the "great resignation".

So now I will be figuring out what to do with myself.....some ideas:

1. Travel (plan to go to Scotland to visit my Aunt, and have a long list of places we want to go)
  2. Boating (may get my captains license)
  3. See if I can spruce up jetboaters.net a little more
  4. Volunteer at Habitat for humanity
  5. Drive for Uber (but ideally need an EV or at least a PHEV...eyeing the Ionic 5 Limited closely)
  6. Work on the "honey do" list
  7. Help people with their boats (may make a side business out of this for fun).

Last day of work is 10/7!!! Party planned for 10/8!
Congratulations!

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
It's never too early to start your countdown. If you have a countdown, you probably have a plan. And if you have a plan, you have a better chance of making it a reality. My countdown is at 97 days.
LOL, my countdown is 2,555 days. Hope I make it!

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Congratulations on this and double congrats for pursuing the Captains License, this is on my list and I just found out today that the next one in November is full up and then its not till January. I'm on the waiting list at #7 for the one in November.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Curious how old Julian and other retirees were when they pulled the plug?

Maybe a good poll question for this site. Obviously most of us on the forum have some extra money relative to the average person, but we’re not taking our yachts to Monaco for the summer.

I’ve always thought I’ll work to 60+ but that’s around 20 away and the list of things I’d rather do is pretty long. I definitely don’t understand boredom.

USKBoater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Congratulations and enjoy your time! im only a short 41 years away from the same thing!
am i silly for already starting the count down??
It’s never silly to have a plan. But it’s way too early to start the “countdown”. Life goes way too fast, even without wishing each day away. Have a plan, find something you like doing and enjoy life.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Maybe a good poll question for this site. Obviously most of us on the forum have some extra money relative to the average person, but we’re not taking our yachts to Monaco for the summer.

I’ve always thought I’ll work to 60+ but that’s around 20 away and the list of things I’d rather do is pretty long. I definitely don’t understand boredom.
I'm 57. If my new boss wasn't so toxic I would probably have worked another year or so, but I decided enough was enough.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

I was eligible for retirement at 56, but it would have been a reduced annuity, so I planned on working until I turned 62. That was in January, and as we were moving into a new home, I didn't retire until the end of August. I believe that one should retire when they can comfortably do so.

Retire when you are still healthy to enjoy it!

Jim

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Congrats @Julian you've earned it. You have a great list that will keep you extremely busy. My kids are all in High School now so I'm in the process of assembling my list for when they have all graduated and I find I have some extra time on my hands.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Retired military at 62 with 40 years....flew EMS for 6.5 years (7 days on/7 days off was like being semi retired) and finally pulled the plug for good at 69.

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Congratulations!

I retired in January of this year... about 6 weeks before my 58th birthday. The engine in my truck blew at 69K miles (2.8L Duramax Diesel surprisingly) on my last day of work! Then the market started crashing and inflation skyrocketed.

I have no regrets retiring whatsoever! As a matter of fact, I'm so busy now I don't know how I had time to work!

You will love retirement.... guaranteed!

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I retired twice first at 59 and then was made an offer I couldn't refuse and worked until 62.5. My wife retired at 55. It has been great!