• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Kuuma Profile 150 Review/Mods

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Two weeks ago I bit the bullet and bought the Kuuma Profile 150 grill for $106.95 with free shipping from eBay. I have been looking for a good, stainless marine-quality grill that I could easily stow in my 2004 SX230 and cook several burgers at once, rather than being stuck on grill duty for several iterations of burgers 2 or 3 at a time, like I had to do with my small Coleman.

The Profile 150 fits under my rear seat with about an inch to spare on each side, lowered horizontally. You don't need to tip the grill AT ALL to get it in the storage area (this was important to me). The legs are small, but serve to keep it solid while underway.

I wanted to use the stanchion and mount that came with the boat, and the closest kit that Kuuma sold was the entire thing... floor base, pole, and grill mount. After I received the grill, I started thinking about how to mount my grill so that it would work out with my table system on the boat.

Parts list:

(1) 1/4" Aluminum, 7.5" x 7.5". This is what the local metal supply had, I could have used stainless but they only had 1/8" and I thought that might be too thin. Plus, I thought the aluminum might be a more effective heat sink.
Cost: about $10.

(2) 1/4" x 20 nylon plastic hand knobs. I got these for $1.08 each, shipped, from Amazon Prime. I needed to cut some threads off, you don't need much to hold it on... but these were cheap. I chose nylon over plastic because the research I did indicated that they are much more heat resistant. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A9N50DU/
Cost: $2.16

(1) Springfield Table Accessory Base 7" Aluminum 2 3/8" Hole PN 3660018. I lucked out and found one on eBay for $22.95 with free shipping. They're somewhat expensive (after shipping) if you buy them from an online store. I bought one that would work from an RV store first... it held it OK but the pole only went in 1/4" or so. It was sturdy, but I wanted to do it right and found the base on eBay.
Cost: 22.95

(2) tapered 1/4" x 20 stainless bolts/lock washers/nuts.
Cost: ~$1.50

First, I measured the distance from the mounting holes in the bottom of the grill.

I then drilled 1/4" holes in the aluminum plate so that I could mount it to the bottom of the grill. I also drilled appropriate holes to mount the table mount at an offset. Two will do it, and they should be placed so they don't interfere with the grease tray that runs along the center of the grill. I had also cut the threads down on the knobs so that they would securely hold the grill but not push into the bottom of the grill.

Four holes and two bolts later, you can go ahead and mount it to the bottom of the grill.

All ready to go. I left the feet down, they do fold up nicely but I left them down.

This will easily fit 6 burgers; you could add a few hot dogs or even squeeze another 2 burgers on there.

My only worry about this approach was the possibility of melting the nylon knobs. I wanted to make the base removable because, otherwise, the grill would rock around under the seat while underway. By making the base removable, it can sit securely on its feet and you don't have to worry about any extra drippings pouring out of the grill from it tipping over. We had the grill quite hot and had it going for about 45 minutes today, and the aluminum seemed to do its job as a heat sink. While the grill was running, I felt the aluminum and it wasn't hot to the touch at all; the nylon knobs were safe.

Also, the heat shield is very useful. The shield not only spreads out the heat, but burns up the grease and drippings. I pulled out the grease tray after it cooled down, and there were only a couple DROPS of grease in the tray. The rest was burned up on the heat shield. We were using 90/10% burger, but still... two drops from six burgers doesn't worry me.

For under $150, this grill looks great, cooks great, and looks like it was made for the boat. I'm really happy with it. The only thing it's missing is the electric starter... but being stowable is definitely a fair trade-off. I was going to install an electric starter, but realized it would be another thing to break and the device would protrude from the grill and invite damage... a long lighter is only a couple bucks, we just carry two of them in a ziplock bag to keep them dry.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Awesome, glad you like it and thanks for the great write up!

Craig

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I appreciate the write up. We have looked at the Kuuma grills after getting sticker shock from the magma grills, I just wasn't familiar with the brand name. Looks great and nice install. @MOA_Chaser, when we decide to pull the trigger on a grill, I may hit you up and see how it's held up if you don't mind.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes, I'm happy with it. I get lots of compliments on it and all my burgers get cooked in one batch. It does seem to be a little hotter near the canister; I just rotate them as I flip them or cook hot dogs on the end.

I haven't added an igniter to it. I didn't see a great way to do it without having it stick out or interfere with parts of the grill, and I got to the point where I thought, "Is it REALLY that bad to have to keep an extended lighter on board??" So I quit pursuing it.

On my boat I can stow it easily without tipping it at all under the rear seats.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
This looks perfect! I know there is the magna grill that goes straight to the newer style mounts, but for us old school guys this is perfect!

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I did purchase the profile 150. Looks like a nice grill! Too bad I have to wait until mid July to use it :(

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did purchase the profile 150. Looks like a nice grill! Too bad I have to wait until mid July to use it :(
@Speedling how do you plan on mounting it in the boat during use? I bought the 160 (prefer a little more depth in the lid) and a rail mount but I am nervous about the support and the impact to the rail.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I mounted it as a test and put some rubber between the rail and the mount and it appeared to hold well. I'm still not sure that I am going to keep it.

Kuuma Grill2.jpg

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Speedling before firing up the grill on the mount on the boat I thought I would run it in the driveway and see how warm it gets on the bottom. With the rail mount there is only about 4 or 5 inches between the bottom of the grill and the fiberglass. Well, it got too warm for my liking so the rail mount is a no go! I will be looking a rod holder mount that can get the grill up 12" or so from the boat surface.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Thats good to know! Thanks!
if/when I get a tower maybe something off the side?

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Speedling Okay I finally got around to installing a rod holding in the boat to use for the grill. Making that first big hole in the boat left me a little queasy! :vomit: I have a second rod holder that I will hold onto until I try this location and see if I want to add another elsewhere on the boat.

20150610_173531.jpeg

20150610_173641.jpeg

20150610_184518.jpeg

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
added to the faq under grills, great write up and pictures

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Now that you are going to be doing all of that grilling, when are you going to chase that minute of angle?

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Haha, I'm all dialed in with the ones I use. I might add another to the stable this year though... Waiting for a tax stamp to clear.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That sounds like a good time. My guess is that you will be able to "hear" better after that!