• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

mfi sx230 2004 trailer came off the hitch on the highway!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm gonna piggyback on this thread as I have the same year trailer, a 2004 MFI. Does anyone know for sure if there is supposed to be a breakaway cable on these, and if so can you post a pic? I don't think mine has one, and if I should, it's missing.
Mine is a 2005 and has one. 99 percent sure yours should also.

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah. It was brought up by my inspection guy today. From what I've found online, they're federally required... If you could get a pic of it sometime, I'd appreciate it!

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@marcin 's pic shows NO break a way cable on his 2004. The entire surge brake mechanism looks different than my 2005.

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I swear I have read 99% of the threads on this website and I was pretty active on the old site for several years, and I don't remember hearing about this nut. I just checked on my 2007 MFI trailer and sure enough there it is. I'll make sure its snug tomorrow before we hit the road.

Thanks guys!

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@MOA_Chaser I have an '04 MFI trailer and it has the break away cable. I will snap a picture when I get home this morning.

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a pic as well I'll upload shortly. I thought it was a broken tether for the brake override key but I'm betting it's the breakaway.

ETA:

IMG_20150518_062605.jpg

Last edited:

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here is what mine looks like.
20150518_095355.jpg 20150518_095337.jpg

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My trailer brakes are pretty much gone. And I'm sure i need axels as well. I can do work myself im pretty handy with tools. How much you think it will cost me in parts? I'm not going back on the road until the trailer is 100%
I rebuilt a MFI galvanized trailer last year, all new springs, bearings, brakes, tongue, tires, bunks, etc.. total was around $1200 for everything..

marcin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wow i just parts estimate almost 2 grand just in parts and 3 thousands for new trailer. Where did you buy all the parts at? I think I'll be buying new trailer this weekend

LukePrinsloo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can someone tell me what size wrench I need to adjust this nut? Potentially buying a boat out of town and would like to be able to adjust it should I decide to bring the boat home.

Zonie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm gonna piggyback on this thread as I have the same year trailer, a 2004 MFI. Does anyone know for sure if there is supposed to be a breakaway cable on these, and if so can you post a pic? I don't think mine has one, and if I should, it's missing.
My 2005 is still in storage for a few more weeks so I can't get a pic, but it definitely has one.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Both my 06 and 10 mfi trailers had/have break away cables and they work as expected. I can’t recall now which one was used when the tongue fell out of the receiver while I was doing 60 mph on the freeway but you can get a replacement cable, hook, shaft mount and washers from pacific trailer for under $10. Installing it all can and probably will take hours (it’s not easy to remove or reinstall the brake line from the brake assembly I found it easiest to unbolt the folding tongue on the trailer).

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I accidentally locked my tongue on top of the ball(the ball never went in the hole). After about 50 miles my brother in law broke down pulling my jet ski and when I went back there to check on things I noticed it. God was looking out for me.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Pretty sure there should be a break away cable...my 2005 MFI had one.