• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My 9 year old daughter trying out wakesurfing.

Detonate

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My 9 year old testing out the wake on the new Tige!

We tried getting her up several times by pulling her, but that board is just too big/boyant for her.

She decided she just wanted to 'boggie board' it, and with out warning she just stood up!!!

She surfed for a good 5 seconds before she fell while we all scrambled to find a camera.

She hasn't quite matched her very first time yet, but after a few attempts she did stand up again.

Just a couple more outtings on the boat and I think she'll have it!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I go home over the Grapevine dam everyday and I keep looking for a Tige throwing a big wave!

that's great your daughter got up, kids have great natural balance (and their so small!)

We had a 10 year old having trouble last week getting up because they couldn't force their heels down hard enough to get the board against the water.
I had my 12yr old daughter stay in the water with them near shore and she held the board at an angle just as the boat started to pull and that was enough pressure for the rider to keep it going and get up, after that they understood the feel of what needed to happen at takeoff and could do it their self. My 9 yr old can do it no problem, I think the key is just a slow smooth start for them.

If you need our expertise I be glad to let my daughter help come for an afternoon while I supervise of course!

Detonate

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Do you know what kind of board they were using? I want to get something smaller for the wife and kids...

Really even want something smaller for me.... I was thinking about the Hyperlite Shim.

Be no surfing for me though. :( I'm back in an ankle boot.

Been a roller coaster week for me. We are having a pool put in, bought the new boat, then our A/C went completely out, then I got rear ended, then while on vacation in Cancun I got a 2nd or 3rd degree ankle sprain while out for a run... sheeeeeeeeesh............

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Awesome. Nothing better than seeing your children enjoying water sports. Sorry to hear about your ankle.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Looks like the board came back and caught her in the neck/head. Any discussion of that when she was back in the boat? At first I thought surfing was a pretty docile sport but I got 6 stitches from a board in the eye last summer.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you know what kind of board they were using? I want to get something smaller for the wife and kids...

Really even want something smaller for me.... I was thinking about the Hyperlite Shim.

Be no surfing for me though. :( I'm back in an ankle boot.

Been a roller coaster week for me. We are having a pool put in, bought the new boat, then our A/C went completely out, then I got rear ended, then while on vacation in Cancun I got a 2nd or 3rd degree ankle sprain while out for a run... sheeeeeeeeesh............
We use a 5'6" liquid force fish, I bought it because I wanted something stable and big enough that everybody could get up on, If we can make it work I'd be glad to bring it down and let you to try it out, I think having somebody in the water to help keep the board tilted at start up will be a big help

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Detonate ... @SX210Owner's Wife and @sx210owner gave my 9 year old daughter a lesson on wake surfing and had her up during the first session. One thing they did I would not have thought of was to use a VERY short rope. Caitlin was very close to the boat (closer than I start), and what this did was make it much easier for her to pull herself up into a standing position right away. Also, having someone in the water with her to flip the board up against her feet helped a lot too! (great teachers!)

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good advice Julian, I didn't think of that, I have all the extensions out of my surf rope so it is very short also,

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We use a 5'6" liquid force fish, I bought it because I wanted something stable and big enough that everybody could get up on, If we can make it work I'd be glad to bring it down and let you to try it out, I think having somebody in the water to help keep the board tilted at start up will be a big help
@Scottintexas How do you like the LF Fish? Overtons has one for sale now I am debating over. Do you use any ballast? Is everyone able to get up and ride ropeless?

I am mainly getting for my girls and me. No ballast planned for, at least yet. The girls are <100lbs and I am 215lbs. Would this board work for us? I have the option of the 5'6" or the 5'3".

Thanks

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@96Pirate I bought the 5'6' fish, one daughter 12 yrs old, 80 lbs, 9yr old 70 lbs, They both can go ropeless without ballast but it's only 1-3 ft behind the boat, with the 1,500 lbs of bags they can go 6-10 ft back.

My oldest son, 15yrs old, 140 lbs who has only had about 10 rides still can't go ropeless even with the ballast, he has very good balance and can ride the kneeboard standing up and do 180's on it so it's really just a wave issue. Myself, 180lbs don't have any illusions about being able to go ropeless but I haven't gotten to try yet either.

I'm happy with the fish, the price was right, it's fairly durable and it's a good board that is stable so everyone can learn on and at least get up. After a month of surfing, it's great to go ropeless but I think it's just as fun if you have to keep the rope and can cut up against the wake and enjoy the ride. I may buy a different one eventually, leaning towards a Ronix Duke maybe to give bigger people the opportunity to just cruise,

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
For cruising the Hyperlite Landlock is very good. It's 5'9" and a durable board for a little over $200. It also fits in standard wakeboard racks. We use it for newbies and going tandem. I can go ropeless on it with no problems when we have 1500 to 2000lbs of ballast. I'm 6'1" 185lbs. I have an IS squirt (5' board) that I can't go ropeless on but have lots of fun cutting the wake while holding onto the rope.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@96Pirate I bought the 5'6' fish, one daughter 12 yrs old, 80 lbs, 9yr old 70 lbs, They both can go ropeless without ballast but it's only 1-3 ft behind the boat, with the 1,500 lbs of bags they can go 6-10 ft back.

My oldest son, 15yrs old, 140 lbs who has only had about 10 rides still can't go ropeless even with the ballast, he has very good balance and can ride the kneeboard standing up and do 180's on it so it's really just a wave issue. Myself, 180lbs don't have any illusions about being able to go ropeless but I haven't gotten to try yet either.
My son was able to go ropeless this afternoon for about a 3 minute run. I finally was able to surf behind my own boat !! I didn't go ropeless but I can see it in my future!

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I ended up getting the 5'3" 2013 model. Too good to pass up at$150. Get it Monday.

I hope the smaller version will still be ok.

Nice to hear about your son and yourself! I just need to find a capable driver so I can try my hand at it.

CarFanatic

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
my 2 cents. You obviously are in to it if you spent the coin on a tige. Don't buy a wakesurf board from a wakeboard company. Look into real wakesurf companys. Doomswell, Soulcraft, Phase 5, Inland surfer. you can buy a cheap board, but will get bored with it and spend more money upgrading.

The Red Rocket you have, is a kick ass board. But its meant for big dudes. So I can see how it was hard for her to get up. The right idea is what she did, start laying down. Once she gets her balance she should be able to ride that all day.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
my 2 cents. You obviously are in to it if you spent the coin on a tige. Don't buy a wakesurf board from a wakeboard company. Look into real wakesurf companys. Doomswell, Soulcraft, Phase 5, Inland surfer. you can buy a cheap board, but will get bored with it and spend more money upgrading.

The Red Rocket you have, is a kick ass board. But its meant for big dudes. So I can see how it was hard for her to get up. The right idea is what she did, start laying down. Once she gets her balance she should be able to ride that all day.

I have to agree. When starting the season we just wanted to get behind the boat so we bought our Byerly volt, which is a good board but my wife was getting frustrated with it. Then we ponied up the cash for a shred Stixx board and WOW what a difference. We both like surf style boards so we ended up getting the truckster. Love that board!!

Detonate

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I think everyone is going to be different. I really wish there was a better way to try before you buy.

I've had 2 inland surfers now, but my favorite board I've road was the Hyperlite Shim that the Malibu guys had me ride when I was demo'ing the 23 LSV.

Maybe it was the boat, and not the board, who knows....

I need to start a local board share group or something where people swap boards for a weekend. I definitely will not be spending $800 on a board I've not personally ridden.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

I'm happy with the fish, the price was right, it's fairly durable and it's a good board that is stable so everyone can learn on and at least get up. After a month of surfing, it's great to go ropeless but I think it's just as fun if you have to keep the rope and can cut up against the wake and enjoy the ride. I may buy a different one eventually, leaning towards a Ronix Duke maybe to give bigger people the opportunity to just cruise,
When I first learned to surf I was able to go ropeless behind a 230 with no ballast. In fact, my Avatar photo is taken behind a 230 with only people ballast (I think we had 8 people on board), all sitting on one side, and as many on the bench seat close together as we could get. At the time I was probably 190-200lbs. You do have to be very aware of where your feet are on the board and move as much weight as forward as you can to even out the weight across the whole surface area of the board. Of course the drawback to that is two fold....1) you can run into the back of the boat and 2) the tip of the board is very close to the water, so an errant wave can nose dive you easily. Pretty sure I was behind @JCampbell 's boat for that photo....but it was 5 years ago.....and my memory sucks (might have been @007 ). I learned how to surf with the awesome Shelbyville crew!

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When I first learned to surf I was able to go ropeless behind a 230 with no ballast. In fact, my Avatar photo is taken behind a 230 with only people ballast (I think we had 8 people on board), all sitting on one side, and as many on the bench seat close together as we could get. At the time I was probably 190-200lbs. You do have to be very aware of where your feet are on the board and move as much weight as forward as you can to even out the weight across the whole surface area of the board. Of course the drawback to that is two fold....1) you can run into the back of the boat and 2) the tip of the board is very close to the water, so an errant wave can nose dive you easily. Pretty sure I was behind @JCampbell 's boat for that photo....but it was 5 years ago.....and my memory sucks (might have been @007 ). I learned how to surf with the awesome Shelbyville crew!
That's great to hear @Julian I will be trying it out this weekend while camping. Will have a crew of 4 adults and 4 kids, so human ballast might not do it. I think I will be ok not going ropeless, at least for now. I just want to get up:)