• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My daughter and I surfing

jasoraso

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
On labor day, my daughter and I surfed together. We started from the back deck, now that she is 7 and getting pretty big, I didn't want to struggle getting out of the water with her.

Need to save up some $ this winter for the surf wedge!

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Wish my kids were small again so I could do that. You made a great memory.

jasoraso

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nicely done... What board and ballast you using?
This was on an older Inland Surf "Red Rocket". Had a 700# on the back swim deck, and 3 adults and 4 kids in the boat.

I think the size of the wake was hampered by the shallow water - only about 8 ft deep :(

Yamaha242lsdallas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
How does one "Start from the back deck" safely?
That's the only way we do it, seems to be faster from recovery to up and surfing again that way too.

The way we do it is sit on the rear facing seat, get up to speed, toss rope out, place the board nose on the rear transom, place front foot toward the nose (this holds the board in place now), grab rope,pulling tight place back foot in position then just shift weight back and "walk" out to the end of the rope. The board and boat does all the work..easy, and you can even come back in the same way.

No messing around with getting positioned right in the water or taking time to restart when someone does not get up the first time from a water start. The transom start seems to work for us almost 100% of the time.

tracerrx

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
That's the only way we do it, seems to be faster from recovery to up and surfing again that way too.

The way we do it is sit on the rear facing seat, get up to speed, toss rope out, place the board nose on the rear transom, place front foot toward the nose (this holds the board in place now), grab rope,pulling tight place back foot in position then just shift weight back and "walk" out to the end of the rope. The board and boat does all the work..easy, and you can even come back in the same way.

No messing around with getting positioned right in the water or taking time to restart when someone does not get up the first time from a water start. The transom start seems to work for us almost 100% of the time.
Very interesting, Im going to have to try this next weekend. Anyone have any video of actually starting this way??

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
I think the size of the wake was hampered by the shallow water
Does depth of the water have a worsening effect on the wave? Our lake is 6-8 feet in the ski zone.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

How does that not scratch your gel coat and bottom of your board?

jasoraso

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Does depth of the water have a worsening effect on the wave? Our lake is 6-8 feet in the ski zone.
I've been told that at least 15' depth is necessary for the "wave" to truly "develop". I don't claim to understand the physics, but I guess it makes sense.

I was pulling my son skiing early the day the video was shot (labor day) and we went into a part of the lake that I knew was shallow (this bay in Utah lake is called "mud lake" because the bottom is mud), and the wake got very small: I expect that the depth was about 28" to 36" at that point. When I started noticing muddy water in the wake, I headed for deeper water.

My son did say that he felt like he was behind a true ski boat because the wake was so small. When he crashed, he actually had a mud stain on his suit, though :)

jasoraso

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Really want to see video of someone doing this!
Next time we go, I'll try and get video from the start. We get the boat up to surfing speed (about 10mph), and then I will walk out onto the lower deck with the surfboard in one hand, the rope coiled in the other. You set the board into the water, with just the nose of the board on the corner of the swimdeck. The board will basically just stay there by itself. Then you walk gently out onto the board, keeping the front nose weighted on the swimdeck. Once you have your feet positioned correctly, you lean back, using the rope to support your weight, and then ease the nose back off the swim deck. The key is to keep the nose up out of the water as you come off the deck.

One VERY important key to starting from the back deck is to be VERY careful with rope management. The previous poster suggested letting the rope trail out, and that is a good idea, although it might get caught up a bit in the wake.

I coil the rope, and hold the coils loosely in one hand. The risk is that if you fall when starting out, the rope gets wrapped around your hand or arm or leg. My sister in law had a loose loop on top of the surfboard, and then stepped on the loop while getting onto the board from the back deck. It wrapped around her leg as she fell, and even though I killed the engines immediately, it still drug her under the water for a few scary seconds.

When done correctly, surfing in this way is VERY easy! But it can be tricky learning the technique. Low stress on the body :)

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
That seems like it would be alot of fun. I too was wondering how you kee from damaging the gelcoat and the board.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I've been told that at least 15' depth is necessary for the "wave" to truly "develop". I don't claim to understand the physics, but I guess it makes sense.

I was pulling my son skiing early the day the video was shot (labor day) and we went into a part of the lake that I knew was shallow (this bay in Utah lake is called "mud lake" because the bottom is mud), and the wake got very small: I expect that the depth was about 28" to 36" at that point. When I started noticing muddy water in the wake, I headed for deeper water.

My son did say that he felt like he was behind a true ski boat because the wake was so small. When he crashed, he actually had a mud stain on his suit, though :)

We actually notice the wake to slip away around 10 foot but 15 has a good safety factor built in.

Yamaha242lsdallas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That seems like it would be alot of fun. I too was wondering how you kee from damaging the gelcoat and the board.
The board is not really touching the gelcoat, its resting on the transom pad. At least for the board we use (Fish).

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm pretty sure if I tried this the board would touch the gelcoat. I need to get my boat to lean more to get my swim platform closer to the water. I've read others mention that the new style boats have the swim platform lower in the water vs the older style like mine. Once you figure out how to do this method, I agree it's probably an easier way to start. I've found that getting your feet placed correctly on the board is paramount to have the proper control of the board. Deep water starting can make that tricky. I can wiggle my feet around to get the best placement, but if an inexperienced rider starts off a little out of place they usually fall quickly. However, I'm not sure easier equates to safer. :)

Yamaha242lsdallas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
[QUOTE="However, I'm not sure easier equates to safer. :)[/QUOTE]

I guess I'm not sure what is less safe about it vs. a water start. I would not hold the rope in my hand coiled up, reason being is as soon as you let it out and it drops in the water it will jerk back and cause the end to want to wrap around your leg. Toss the rope out first, it will stay there.

I think people seem to feel its less safe because they are right near the engine sounds vs. 10 ft behind the boat.