• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Plug clean tray

Robbyw

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Has anyone ever just plugged their Cleanout drain hose? Pretty sure that’s the culprit of my leak. I think stopping causes water to rush back through the tube.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Has anyone ever just plugged their Cleanout drain hose? Pretty sure that’s the culprit of my leak. I think stopping causes water to rush back through the tube.
The GoPro vid I mentioned shows exactly what you're talking about.

It'd be easy enough for you to throw a snap plug in there to see how you like it, and it's easily reversible then.

Robbyw

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The GoPro vid I mentioned shows exactly what you're talking about.

It'd be easy enough for you to throw a snap plug in there to see how you like it, and it's easily reversible then.
I looked and can’t find the video. Would love to see it

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Silicone around the tray edges too the factory sealant leaks

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
If your clean out tray is like a bathtub with no other outlet then the drain has to remain. Some have put check valves in line to prevent back flow

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I looked and can’t find the video. Would love to see it

If your clean out tray is like a bathtub with no other outlet then the drain has to remain. Some have put check valves in line to prevent back flow
I can't remember if you put the cork in there, or someone else did, but that's the best solution I've seen so far for leaving the drain in place without much additional effort. Your sealant is also a great suggestion, I think @Babin Farms was the first I heard to use the seasonal caulk, to make it easier to remove than silicone. That check valve was a PITA to install, and for what it cost, I'm not certain the juice was worth the squeeze on that one. It's more for "automating" the hassle, so I wouldn't have to remember to remove that cork all the time, so in that respect, it's priceless, as I'm terrible with stuff like that. I've got a theory about considering elimination of the drain, but I won't be able to test it out until we can get the boat in the water, so that'll be a few weeks.

I also think the issue is 100% dependent on a combination of the boat itself, and the owner (along with their feelings towards the issue). If the owner doesn't feel it's enough water to require addressing it, they'll prove the point to themselves one way or another. The designs of these cleanout trays are so varied, it's hard to nail anything down that works for every person. Someone on here posted a 190-series newer boat, and Yamaha didn't have the cleanout tray drain whatsoever! They had slots in the tray wall, on the stern side, to allow any water to escape to the lower swim deck. To my eye, this looks to be what they should have done all along, instead of these stupid drains. If I had any fiberglass experience and was confident enough to do it, I'd have already gone with that method and eliminated my drain.

No matter what, if the boat is susceptible to the drain backflowing into the cleanout tray area, that will cause water on top of the plugs, but it will also HELP someone, if they're paying attention, to show them their cleanout tray is leaking and needs to be sealed. Depending on the year/boat model/design, a riser may help as well. While all these things can be looked at as unnecessary, I can't say that I agree that excess water getting into the boat shouldn't be looked into.