• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

The Jetboat Fishing Mod and Rigging Guide

utahrd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello Fellow Jetboaters,

I know we all enjoy spinning, submarining, cruising, wakeboarding, tubing, etc... with our Jetboats, but I thought I would write up my experiences fishing with the Yamaha sx230 in the hopes that others can gain from my experience. I have invested a ton of time and energy into making my Boat a very capable fishing vessel. First, you have to know some rules set down from my wife: no fish allowed anywhere but on the swim platform area, so here we go.....

Fish Localization:

Originally, I mounted a small Humminbird 345c fishfinder here just under my radio (3.5" screen):

I have found this location to have a clean look, and worked well enough for the past couple of years. One issue with this location, however, is you can't actually see it while you are actively fishing from the stern. This area, is fine for locating the schools though. Others have tended to mount their finders with a RAM mount or custom mounts usually near the factory depthfinder area. Go with what works for you. I have recently upgraded my fishfinder to a larger unit with chartplotting capability. I plan to mount it higher up in the same location most people gravitate to: I will mount my new unit coming off of the sidewall near the factory depthfinder as shown in the pic above. Fishfinder size? personal preference ...For me the 3.5" was ok but a little small. I think a 5" color HD display is probably the best balance of size/utility. We don't have a ton of space in these cockpits and I mocked up a 7" which looked to big. my new finder is a Humminbird 788 XD with a 5" display.

One last thing about the finder: if you run downriggers, you will need a frequency range between 50 and 90 Khz to reliably see your downrigger balls. You need the wider "sweep" of these lower frequencies to mark your downrigger balls which will have blowback of increasing distance with increasing depth. a 200 khz transducer may not be wide enough. Tracking the downrigger weights is extremely valuable at proving your fishing depth, and also for gauging how your blowback relates to your line depth indicator. on Humminbird models, the 200khz/83khz combos work well. a 200khz/50khz may be better. I will report back on that this summer

DO NOT PUT Transducer here:

This is basically the starboard side in the analogous place to the OEM depthfinder location of the portside. The speed pitot was moved next to the scupper following the example of other YJB users. NOTE::: I have already destroyed 2 transducers in this location. I strongly suspect it is due to reverse-jet thrust being vectored onto the transducer with the thrust-vectors in place. I have not heard this problem reported before, but have no explanation as to why I would go through 2 transducers so fast, when others have not reported problems with this mount location. I Moved my 3rd transducer to the opposite side of the scupper from the new pitot location AS SEEN BELOW, and that has been rock solid for 2-3 years.

MARINE RADIO:
I mounted one here:

This is really for safety on large bodies like Lake Powell, Flaming Gorge, or the Pacific Ocean. You can also listen to chatter from other fisherman who may or may not be sharing good intel on good spots. I pretty much fish on MASSIVE bodies of water, its not like typical lake fishing where you drop a line ...you need to hunt the fish down, and intel is key.

ROD Holders:

I installed 2 stainless steel rod holders on the rear parts of the gunwales in this location:

I also added 2 to the bow adjacent to the anchor locker:

The advantage to these flush mount rod holders are that you can attach gimbal mounted devices and add on to them. As seen in the picture, I have Two Walker Tournament-Electric Downrigger mounted into one of the other holes. It is trivial to remove the rigger for storage

I also attached a SCOTTY 3-rod holder

into a SCOTTY gimbal mount adapter

so that I can run 3-rods off of one of the flush mounts. look here at this picture:

As you can see, the downrigger has 2 rod holder mounts. Therefore, we have turned 2 flush mounts into a 5-rod holding system, or a two downrigger system port and starboard

CRAB POT PULLER:
I use this one made by Scotty: also good in the bow rodholders with the scotty gimbal mount under it to pull up my @txav8r box anchor

DOWNRIGGER:[

As mentioned before, I am using a Walker tournament electric downriggers. I have it mounted into the rod-holder with a gimbal mount available from cabelas.

and then have a walker downrigger "short swivel base" mounted to that so I can rotate the downrigger boom.

I have a 48 inch boom, and I believe this is ideal to get tackle away from the jet intakes. I use an 8 lb ball. I ran the electric to the rigger by modifying a marine 12v receptacle which I installed near the port rod-holder, and connected the rigger with a 2 wire trailer connector run directly to the battery below (sorry no pics right now).

TROLLING

What I normally do is run 1 engine at a time for trolling. with both gates in forward-neutral position, and only 1 engine on, the boat will advance at 1.7mph. With the propulsive engine gate in forward-neutral, and the other gate in the reverse setting (with the engine off) you may be able to see a slowing down to 1.5 to 1.6 mph. With 1 engine on, and that gate somewhere between forward-neutral and neutral, you can finesse the trolling speed to between 0.9 and 1.4 mph. This takes a little practice. With both engines on and in forward neutral, you usually see about 2.1 to 2.5 mph. Of course, the wind greatly affects this. In a nice 8-10 knot wind you can do some drift mooching at a reliable 1 knot overwater

Most people will troll for freshwater fish between 1.0 and 2.0 mph.

CATCHING AND LANDING:

As soon as a fish is on, I usually cut the engines, and fight the fish from the transom. after netting, I use the Cleanout compartment as my fish hold, or I use a cooler. On my SX230 this is a perfect holding spot and can accomodate lots of fish and ice. I have also used a cooler on the transom before I learned the geniusness of pouring ice into the cleanout area. This way, all fish and fish smell is contained to the transom. Here is a picture of my cleanout tray where I mounted a washdown hose to clean the guts and blood off the swim platform. You can also see my large folding net from Cabelas fits nicely here. The black bag is my second ancher (Danforth) so that I can anchor in place if necessary to jig.

I know most of this stuff is intuitive, but I thought the guidance on engine gate positions and trolling speed would be the most helpful. I also wanted to let everyone know that the high freeboard of our vessels can be very advantagous. In 10mph winds, the boat will drift at about .7 to 1.0 mph, and this can be successful for a "drift-mooch" type operation.

Using these methods I have caught numerous rainbows, cutthroat, kokanee, mackinaw and striped bass in the waters of Utah.

Good Fishing.

p.s., the name of my boat (although not lettered yet) is "Full Hookup"

[/B]

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
good job! that's a lot of fish,

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@utahrd nice setup, I too installed rod holders in the same place. I will have to borrow some of the rod holder attachment ideas, especially the crab pot puller. One other thing I use my rod holders for is to hold the flag poles which I use the 4' length from http://www.boatingflagpoles.com/. The first picture is in Bimini while we were running south towards Honeymoon Harbor. The second is on Lake Murray here in South Carolina.

Bimin Flag flying.jpg

Rod Holder.jpg

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the write up! I will be copying your rod holder install.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Nice write up @utahrd! Thanks for some good ideas.

utahrd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice write up! A couple of your photos don't appear for me (like the one that shows where you ended up putting your transducer)
I fixed the picture problem. Please try again

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I fixed the picture problem. Please try again
I see all of the pictures now.

Do you recommend any particular brand of rod holder?

utahrd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce,

No brand in particular. I like the look of stainless steel, so I went with that. I think the angle is around 25% on these holders. Make sure you get ones with a cap enclosure, otherwise you can get water in the boat. Most of these things don't have an enclosed bottom. You also need to make sure your rod holder has the small bar across the bottom so the gimbal mounts, etc, lock into the unit. I believe this is also a standard, but some of the cheaper plastic units just dead end. I shopped around until I found some for around 25 bucks apiece. I think Cabelas had them in the online catalog, but not store.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Great write up and OMG you got some nice fish!!

Great to have you onboard here!

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@utahrd , incredible write up and thanks for taking the time to lay that out for a lot of us. For the rod holders, did you use a hole saw to cut the holes and then mount the holders?

It sounds like you take the boat in some rough chop. Are you happy with the way it handles so much that you haven't considered a center console, fishing boat? I ask since this type of boating is more in line with my future. I am looking forward to Feb 12th when Yamaha announces their new boat since rumor has it that it could be a fishing boat. Rumor also has it as a cruiser, a pontoon, a yacht

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@utahrd What an excellent write-up Jon! I know you guys have put a great deal of thought and effort into rigging the boat for fishing and successfully so! I overcame my fear of drilling holes in the boat years ago, and have begun drilling holes in the new 240 now. I know that transducer issue is problematic mounted on the left side of the starboard engine, although, I never had one issue with it there from my garmin. I did break the speedo mast once, and snagged the speedo tubing once, however with that thing mounted all the way back on the scupper drain surface. You might want to consider some hydroturf for both the walk-thru seat step, and the anchor locker. I added them to the 230 and now to the 240. Sometimes when your making a dash from the cockpit to the swim deck or opposite, and your foot is damp or you hit just right, you can slip pretty easy, and the turf took that risk out of the equation. I also added a piece of turf between the seat step and the swim deck on that raised bare area of the engine hatch that you step over. I never really stepped there intentionally, but sometimes you find a foot (more often someone else's) landing there, and that is slick as snot! @JetBoatPilot can cut to fit those spots to match if you don't buy a sheet and just cut it yourself, which is what I did on the 230, but I bought cut pieces from Will for the 240. Again, great write-up, and I am glad you made the jump over here to share your valuable experience with us! I want to do the motorhome thing. I just hate the idea of having it outside and weathering...and hate the idea of building a barn for it too!

utahrd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@utahrd , incredible write up and thanks for taking the time to lay that out for a lot of us. For the rod holders, did you use a hole saw to cut the holes and then mount the holders?

It sounds like you take the boat in some rough chop. Are you happy with the way it handles so much that you haven't considered a center console, fishing boat? I ask since this type of boating is more in line with my future. I am looking forward to Feb 12th when Yamaha announces their new boat since rumor has it that it could be a fishing boat. Rumor also has it as a cruiser, a pontoon, a yacht
@4x15mph ,

Yes, I used a regular hole saw. Just put tape over the fiberglass where your hole will be and wear a respirator. because the rodholders are angled, you will either need a bigger hole than the diameter of the downtube to accomodate the angle, or after cutting the hole using a dremel or similar tool to enlarge the hole in an ellipsoid to accomodate the slant of the tube.

With regard to the Center console question... There is no doubt that if I was a bachelor and was only buying a boat for myself, I would have purchased a dedicated fishing boat, probably with an enclosed bow, although center console would be a strong consideration. HOWEVER, I wanted a fishing boat, my wife wanted to "relax" and lay out and sightsee, and my kids wanted to wakeboard and tube. I was also concerned about safety with kids in the water and no props seemed like a huge bonus. I was concerned about reliability and wanted twin engines to get back in the case of single engine failure, especially since I may be at some remote locations. Also, Yamaha maintenance was easy.

When it came down to it, I couldn't identify a boat better than the Yamaha's to blend all these "jack of all trade" elements. With the 6' swim deck the fishing was and is very doable. Finally, the Yamahas have THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY, and I can't find another brand that really has this type of user support. It is crazy how much knowledge, expertise, and insight is shared on this forum. Even though we have never met in person, I consider all you guys and gals my friends. It's more than the right boat, its this community as well!

Last edited:

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Great ideas and what great fish! We have been planning on using ours this year to fish. I had planned on only fishing fro the swim deck and you did the same thing. This gives me some good ideas. Thanks!

utahrd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@utahrd What an excellent write-up Jon! I know you guys have put a great deal of thought and effort into rigging the boat for fishing and successfully so! I overcame my fear of drilling holes in the boat years ago, and have begun drilling holes in the new 240 now. I know that transducer issue is problematic mounted on the left side of the starboard engine, although, I never had one issue with it there from my garmin. I did break the speedo mast once, and snagged the speedo tubing once, however with that thing mounted all the way back on the scupper drain surface. You might want to consider some hydroturf for both the walk-thru seat step, and the anchor locker. I added them to the 230 and now to the 240. Sometimes when your making a dash from the cockpit to the swim deck or opposite, and your foot is damp or you hit just right, you can slip pretty easy, and the turf took that risk out of the equation. I also added a piece of turf between the seat step and the swim deck on that raised bare area of the engine hatch that you step over. I never really stepped there intentionally, but sometimes you find a foot (more often someone else's) landing there, and that is slick as snot! @JetBoatPilot can cut to fit those spots to match if you don't buy a sheet and just cut it yourself, which is what I did on the 230, but I bought cut pieces from Will for the 240. Again, great write-up, and I am glad you made the jump over here to share your valuable experience with us! I want to do the motorhome thing. I just hate the idea of having it outside and weathering...and hate the idea of building a barn for it too!
Great Ideas Mel. I have been looking at JetBoatPilot's Sea-Dek product and will likely make a purchase int he next couple of months. My carpet is basically disgusting and stinky, and the worst thing for a fisherman. I have been taking the carpet out and just going "au natural" which makes for easy cleanup if some blood or guts do accidentally get inside the main cabin, which is inevitable. The Sea-Dek is nice because its closed cell foam. I talked to Will about it @JetBoatPilot on the phone the other day and unless I heard him wrong he is discontinuing his hydroturf product in favor of sea-dek. It looks like I can get all the blood and guts onto sea-dek on the swim platform and because it is closed cell foam it should just wash off.

I have to say that adding my washdown pump is key gear because that back deck does tend to get bloody, and a quick hose off works nicely. I will try to do a write-up of my washdown install. Its pretty cool because I have it tee-d into another quick connect fitting that is mounted near the starboard rod-holder, to which I have run a misting system along my bimini poles. I can also just attach a hose there if necessary in addition to the hose in the cleanout tray area. When it is 90 degrees on lake powell I turn that mister on and get a 15 to 20 degree cooling in the cabin area. It draws right from the lake and goes through a few filters to not clog the sprayheads in the mister. The washdown kit was about $275...the mister was a cheapo but effective $30 from costco that was easy to add.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The mist and fresh water set up is cool. x10 on the Yamaha being more than just about the right boat. The community makes it a slam dunk. Thanks again for all of the fishing write-ups

utahrd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Those are some nice striped bass :). Must have been years ago! they haven't been that healthy at powell since 2012!

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You can also buy them off ebay which is what I did. These are similar in price to the ones I purchased, http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOT-Marine-15-Degree-Rod-Holder-Flush-Mount-Stainless-Steel-fishing-Rod-Holders-/261582268663?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ce784a8f7 and after a week in Bimini and a full season of lake exposure mine still look new.

I found that the 15 degree (some call it 75 degree) rod holders to be a good angle for the location near the rear bimini support which is were @utahrd and I installed ours.

utahrd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Those are some nice striped bass :). Must have been years ago! they haven't been that healthy at powell since 2012!
Actually those stripers in the cooler were from 2013. I agree 2012 was a great year. It just depends on time of year also. End of May early June is pretty reliable for the stripers. It was like a striper ghostdown at the south end of the lake last october.