• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2016 Yamaha 242 Limited S E-Series Review

vanmurray

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
New member here in NC. I see a few other similar posts, but wanted to share my thoughts after months of shopping and comparing for a new boat for the family. This is my 4th boat and I decided to look at jets after reading similar reviews about the new Chaparral and Yamaha 24 footers.

We ended up buying a 2016 Yamaha 242 Limited S E-Series (Red) in June 2016 (just completed the first service at Chatlee -- these guys have an impressive operation and we had a great experience, highly recommend). There are plenty of reviews explaining the features of this boat so won't go there, but the deciding factor for me (other than the overall quality of the finish) was the giant top and the electronics. The controls are the smoothest I've ever experienced in any boat and everything is integrated with Connext all the way up to bluetooth to connect multiple devices to the Polk system. Would like to see option to add map/navigation with Navionics or Lowrance SD card.

Single lever mode is probably my favorite feature of Connext with the E-Series, but having everything integrated is perfect. The shade is awesome with the top. Ratchets keep the top from flapping and plenty of room for a 6ft tall guy to walk without having to duck. I think it could use a velcro strap in the back (like in the front) and there are some small pinholes where the stitching for velcro covers are sewn in (I expect that will be an issue over time).

Coming from a Ranger, I was not expecting to be impressed with the quality of finish, fiberglass, stability, etc... I was wrong. Fiberglass work is well done. All stainless hardware is quality up to the SS USCG LED 2NM nav light (not plastic). Boat rides smooth and stable even in rough water. Took it to the coast over the 4th with 12 on board and everyone was impressed (and dry) riding the waterway with large boat wake and 3-4ft inlet swells. Need 8ft 6in of clearance for bridges with top up.

I'm not impressed with the cooler. The boat came with a cheap Igloo that we had a hard time even getting out of the rear seat. It's like the cooler was installed before the seat lid. It was impossible to get it out without putting pressure on the seat and scratching the sides. At first, I was disappointed that there is not an integrated cooler, but I ordered a 36 can soft AO Cooler from Yamaha and it fits perfect under rear seat. They should include these instead. It keeps ice all day and you can easily carry in and out and you keep more of the under seat storage. Highly recommend this as an upgrade or go ahead and negotiate for one of these.

I also added a 16Qt Coleman which fits perfectly on the passenger side inside the net. I put a foam grip pad under it to prevent scratching. It works great as a trash can and we used it when we were in a day slip since it has wheels, it was much easier to get drinks or ice to the boat.

Galvanized Shorelander is nice, but have a few complaints. Posted on another thread about the trailer vibration. I think it's the tires/balance, but hopefully will find out. Significant vibration around 50MPH. Fenders and frame bounces noticeably. Loading and unloading boat by myself is no problem. There is a "step" on top of the winch that works well, but getting down off the bow when loading takes a balancing act and you have to jump down on the tongue which I don't like (if you drive all the way up). I ordered a D-Step, but due to the brakes the tongue width is 1/2" off. I will post when I figure this out.

Wanted to mention the cover since I store outdoors. The Yamaha Deluxe Mooring Cover is worth the money. Fits perfect, ratchets tight and after several highway trips I can say that it is the best I've seen on any boat (even my old Ranger Trail cover which was also well designed).

I'm enjoying reading all the helpful threads here and hopefully this post is helpful to someone. Looking forward to meeting folks and can't wait to keep exploring. Thanks @bronze_10 for letting me know about this site.

vanmurray

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
No. Water does not pool bow or stern. There are 2 straps that attach to stern tie down hooks that appear to help too. Been on 3 highway trips 65Mph and still no pooling.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm not impressed with the cooler. The boat came with a cheap Igloo that we had a hard time even getting out of the rear seat.
Yeah...the cooler is dumb....we had a cooler with a flip top that works great....if I were home I'd get the specs of it.

There is a "step" on top of the winch that works well, but getting down off the bow when loading takes a balancing act and you have to jump down on the tongue which I don't like (if you drive all the way up). I ordered a D-Step, but due to the brakes the tongue width is 1/2" off. I will post when I figure this out.
I just use the bow ladder...works great and clears the winch!

AndyD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Great review! We brought the exact same boat (except black not red) home from Chatlees Friday and took her out for the first time today! I LOVE THIS BOAT!! It was an amazing ride. We typically just find a quiet cove, drop anchor, and drink beer but today I couldn't stop driving this thing around the lake.

Like you we had a hell of a time getting the cooler out. We used this one from Dicks sporting goods on our last boat and it worked great then as well as now. It's a two man job to get it into the rear storage but with somebody holding the seat hinged mostly open vs fully open it slides right in easily.

Coleman 48 Quart Chest Coolerimage.jpeg

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The trick for the stupid cooler is to lower the seat to a 45 angle then it fits. Bad planning on Yamaha there. I would use the poles if it's gonna rain. Light rain is fine but if it's heavy it will start to pool. We forgot once and it almost destroyed the cover. We were using buckets to get the water out of the front of the boat cover before it tore in half.

vanmurray

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
That's how we eventually got the cooler out but would be really inconvenient every time to put in fully loaded or out to drain. We just tossed it.

We've had several big storms here in NC and no issue. I've notice water just rolls off the cover (like Gore Tex). Assume over time that will wear off in the sun, but right now even a large amount of water just rolls off. Will report back if it starts pooling.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Bought mine in May. I love the boat, wife loves the way it rides. I believe it is the only one on our lake and our gets plenty of stares, I think the Bimini does it! I have had no problem with the trailer at all. Pulls smooth at all speeds. Mine came with a 48 quart Coleman cooler, works great. We came from a 1987 Four Winns....great boat in its day but what an upgrade! Ours is black but love the red too. Congrats and enjoy!

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's how we eventually got the cooler out but would be really inconvenient every time to put in fully loaded or out to drain. We just tossed it.

We've had several big storms here in NC and no issue. I've notice water just rolls off the cover (like Gore Tex). Assume over time that will wear off in the sun, but right now even a large amount of water just rolls off. Will report back if it starts pooling.
Try not to use the poles if you don't need them. I did not for the 1st year and never had an issue. Then I used for winter storage to protect against ice and after that it stretched the fabric so now I always need to use the poles. Without the poles there is an indentation where water pooled the 1st time I tried without the poles.

BTW:. I think I saw you on Falls Lake Saturday. You were pulling out while I was pulling in. Sorry I could not stop as we were already late getting out of the water.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Julian @vanmurray @captras do you guys like the electronic throttle? I have found a steal on a 2016 limited E (no tower) boat at $44,500 with only 25 hours on it I'm really considering buying it but trying to justify the extra money as I know if I wait I can find a used 2015 SX240 or AR240 for under 40K this off season. If I didn't already have two boats I probably would have already pulled the trigger lol but still trying to figure out if its worth the extra money as well.

vanmurray

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Julian @vanmurray @captras do you guys like the electronic throttle? I have found a steal on a 2016 limited E (no tower) boat at $44,500 with only 25 hours on it I'm really considering buying it but trying to justify the extra money as I know if I wait I can find a used 2015 SX240 or AR240 for under 40K this off season. If I didn't already have two boats I probably would have already pulled the trigger lol but still trying to figure out if its worth the extra money as well.
Yes. Really nice. Not just the smooth operation, but integration with Connext like auto launch towing profiles, no wake and cruise control, etc...

I will say it took me some getting used to and they could make the F/N/R points a little more obvious by feel. I've found myself in R when I thought I was in N, etc... and would have to verify position on the digital gauge.

vanmurray

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
You mite like to put this on your tung and winch to secure your footing better. It came from jetboatpilot.com
Cool. How long have you had installed. With storage outside would be curious how long it would last.

vanmurray

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Try not to use the poles if you don't need them. I did not for the 1st year and never had an issue. Then I used for winter storage to protect against ice and after that it stretched the fabric so now I always need to use the poles. Without the poles there is an indentation where water pooled the 1st time I tried without the poles.

BTW:. I think I saw you on Falls Lake Saturday. You were pulling out while I was pulling in. Sorry I could not stop as we were already late getting out of the water.
Good advice. Any good inside or covered storage places for a boat this size in Raleigh?

We've been at Falls (Hwy 50) almost every weekend since June. Feel free to stop. See you next time.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

AndyD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I really enjoy the e-throttle as well. I also really like the single control lever option. Since I'm coming from a single engine to a twin the dual throttles was a little tricky at first but the single lever option is definetly going to help the transition.

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good advice. Any good inside or covered storage places for a boat this size in Raleigh?

We've been at Falls (Hwy 50) almost every weekend since June. Feel free to stop. See you next time.
Not sure about Raleigh as I am in Wake Forest. I know in Rolesville there is covered storage at StorageMax on 401. There is also a place up in Youngsville (I think) that has indoor storage with concierge service I believe. I would have to look it up if you are interested. It was something I was thinking about doing but never researched it further.

AndyD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I just thought this was interesting but I've noticed a lot of people on here talking about their recent purchases on a new Limited S E-series, myself included. When I bought mine it was all the inventory left at the dealership as opposed to this time last year when the only things really available remaining were the entry levels 19'. I'm wondering if Yamaha was anticipating a better response with this model and haven't gotten what they were expecting in regards to sell through, therefore causing better discounts at the dealerships to move through the inventory right before the 17's roll out. I personally love this model and those that own it seem to say the same but when I read threads from the dealer roll out last year the feedback wasn't as positive mainly due to the massive canopy that doesn't retract. Anybody else noticing the same?

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Cool. How long have you had installed. With storage outside would be curious how long it would last.
I just got the boat (and it was on it when i got it) it was Wills from jetboatpilot.com there show boat they had it over a year every time i saw it they had it outside but under a roof but still pretty sunny and hot being in fla. Also he said it was tralerd a lot so that's out side to. Seems tough

Im Sure you could contact him for info.