• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

243VRX now available to view and build

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I noticed the Chaparral 243 is no longer "coming soon" on their web site. You can view a complete photo gallery and experiment with configuring/building your own. I played with it a little and I think when you add the options onto the base price of $59.9k, you get up to $65k-ish to get something similar to a Yamaha 242LS. Definitely competitively priced and looks to be a nice boat. The option I like the best is the pump-out head.

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I love the comparison page to Yamaha....just goes to show how marketing people can flat out lie and twist reality!

Years in production: Yamaha 7? WTF? I could see them saying 4 (for the 24' model), or even 1 (for the one with articulating keel), but 7? Seems like they are just picking a random number they like the sound of!

http://www.chaparralboats.com/129/2015-243-Vortex-Jet-Boat/

I do love they way different things are given the "spin".

That said....love the competition! And the green one matches my companies colors...."business discount?" LOL

Skysurfer2010

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Looks nice, but with the redesign of the 2015 LS Yamaha would keep my business if I wanted to buy a new jetboat. Plus without clean out ports I'd find any other brand useless to me.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
Anyone who surfs can probably vouch for what it takes to get a good wave. Last time I checked... my ballast did not look this good! In all seriousness, to advertise surfing behind a boat that has no stock ballast is an incredible claim. Just an observation. (looking at the picture, it looks like they are traveling in the preverbal circle)

Screen Shot 2014-12-21 at 10.00.33 AM 1.png

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For the price difference between what I paid for my 2014, and the new 2015 line up. . . . . .None of what I have seen is MUST have.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Is the shaft cover something that we could benefit from? I wonder if that reverse bucket design is more maneuverable, its interesting but our ability to split the throttles might trump it.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I like the starboard / helm compartment door. Looks like a normal sized adult could actually get in there.
Appears they use an outer door for the tunnel windscreen and an inner door for the access hatch. Their solution gives the reach to span the tunnel width, maintains helm compartment structural strength, and provides useful helm compartment access.

Taking notes, Yamaha?

image.jpg

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I definitely like the dual helm compartment door idea. Might have to add that to my mod list.

dbrunone

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Years in production: Yamaha 7? WTF? I could see them saying 4 (for the 24' model), or even 1 (for the one with articulating keel), but 7? Seems like they are just picking a random number they like the sound of!
When did Yamaha start making the 1.8L engine? I think that's what they are referring to, since they are comparing it to Rotax not Chaparral

I like how "low-speed control" does not include TDE or split throttles. They even list "single lever control" as an advantage for Rotax. That makes no sense.

Also, "Small plastic reverse gate"? WTF?

Rotax seems to be putting a lot of emphasis on this driveshaft sleeve...seems like it would be a pretty easy thing for Yamaha to implement...wonder why they didn't on the 2015??

Last edited:

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I don't see the advantage of the drive shaft sleeve. They claim that debris would bypass getting tangled on the drive shaft and get chopped up by the impeller. But the majority of the time your at an idle when you accidentally suck up a rope in which you don't have rpm to chop it up and it's going to get bind in the impeller and anyone with a rotax is going swimming.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't see the advantage of the drive shaft sleeve. They claim that debris would bypass getting tangled on the drive shaft and get chopped up by the impeller. But the majority of the time your at an idle when you accidentally suck up a rope in which you don't have rpm to chop it up and it's going to get bind in the impeller and anyone with a rotax is going swimming.
x2 - We need a few underwater video comparisons before my mind could even begun to be swayed. . . .

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

BAC.94

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Maybe it's just me, but I don't like the look of the VRX line. Chaparral makes a great boat and I'm sure they are quality, but I'm not in my 20's anymore. I don't want all the graphics and bright colors. If they made the 243 with a more classic/ luxury look to it, I might seriously consider buying one someday.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
RE: This boat @ The Atlanta boat show yesterday.
They had THIS VRX model rigged out to the max with options.
Many options were for wake boarding. IF you take out the pricing for the extended rear wake trim platform, the ballast tank option, and the "Deluxe" audio system,
the boat STILL comes in about $4000 + MORE than a 2015 Yamaha 242 Ltd S.

AND .... while they "claim" differently, there are SIGNIFICANT differences .. please read on:

- The seating material and fit/finish is NOT "superior" to that of the Yamahas.
- The engines, being super-charged: A) Eat up a TON MORE space in the motor department, making service FAR more difficult and B) Require a supercharger REBUILD every 100 hours (TIMES 2 engines !!!!!!) - NOT cheap whatsoever.
- They did STUPID things like make the dual battery and switch an OPTION< and then place the battery switch to where you cannot even get to it in the FAR recess of the motor compartment REAR side.
- They lack the dual throttle controls which is how knowledgeable Yamaha drivers conveniently and safely dock their boats, and more. They claim they don't REQUIRE that. However, that is only because they are using the BRP supplied engine AND drive-train, and that's how BRP has always done it.
- The battery(batteries) are DIFFICULT to get to (Engine compartment). I'ld hate to replace these with Optimum blues and they have to lug them into position. I have no idea how much difficulty putting an on-board quality charger, like a dual-bank Minn-Kota would make for an owner, but it AIN'T easy.
- The captain's seat is "ok" but by no means as good as the new Yamaha seats. And the passenger seat basically SUCKS for quality. Look at it and you'll understand.
- The "head" compartment is HUGE on the Chaparral, but it's WASTED space for most. I'll give them this: IF you wanted to use this for a porta-potty, or for changing, it IS a LOT larger than the Yamaha area. But it is our opinion, most owners do NOT use that area for those purposes.
- And no "Drink compartment," like on the new 24 footer Yamahas. And no wastebasket little holding space and netting, like Yamaha provides.
- I have no idea about the noise factor, but no one told us how "good it is on the Chaparrals.

Unlike the new Yamaha 24 footers for 2015 !!!! Every Yamaha dealer, sales person, and technical person @ this show COMPLAINED about the new 2015 Yamaha sound reduction system !!!!!!!!!!!!!! - They said it is so GOOD in design and function that, now, you MUST turn down the radio to talk to others while @ wide-open throttle ! ROFL ! Seriously .they said the new difference is far more than just INCREDIBLE !

So these are some of my FAST, FIRST observations. I spent about 75 minutes on the VRX looking at things. Both Barbie, who IS the proud OWNER of Miss B'Haven and who takes her boating quite seriously, and me both came away UNIMPRESSED with what Chaparral is offering. Let alone even with the Boat Show Discount, and eliminating the previously listed optional items, it still comes in $ 4000 + more than a 2015 242 LS. If the Chap was $ 4000 LESS (than a 242 LS), we'ld still buy the Yamaha.

Wishing everyone a great weekend. Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Maybe it's just me, but I don't like the look of the VRX line. Chaparral makes a great boat and I'm sure they are quality, but I'm not in my 20's anymore. I don't want all the graphics and bright colors. If they made the 243 with a more classic/ luxury look to it, I might seriously consider buying one someday.
Agreed. In general, but particularly with performance-oriented boats, straying away from classic looks makes them appear VERY DATED in just a few short years...which has to hurt resale. Anyone remember all the teal & orange color schemes on early-mid 90s boats? "Uh, dude, Miami Vice called, and..."

IMHO, anyway.

motorboater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I like the longer warranty. I also think the driveshaft sleeve would help a lot. Most weeds and shit wouldnt get hung up on the shaft, which serves to collect even more junk which in turn prevents stuff from passing through the "blender".

Fit and finish on my 240 is not good. The windshield frame is weak and has never lined up right in the middle. I've had interior panels come loose, seats come apart, panels rattle, etc. Most of this happened within 10 hours. Yamaha wont warranty most of it, even though I bought the extended contract. The trailer is shit.

If I were shopping now, which I am not, I would pay more for better quality in most cases. I love my 240, but I can see where a company like Chaparral will likely do a lot of things better.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
As a side note, the fit and finish on my 2013 Yamaha 242 Ltd S is as good as this VRX. I have experienced ZERO problems and defects in my boat.
From what I saw @ the boat show, the fit and finish of the new 2015 242 Ltd S's is even BETTER !
Just my $ 0.02 worth. Best Wishes to all, Mikey Lulejian

2centsworth - sm.jpg

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
These boats are selling really well here in the UK, we don't have Yamaha boats:mad:, so Europe is a big scoop for Chaparral. Just a few weeks backs we had the London boat show and my local boat dealer is a Chap agent and sold at least four to boaters in my waters!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just a few weeks backs we had the London boat show and my local boat dealer is a Chap agent and sold at least four to boaters in my waters!
If you get a chance, please let them know that you know of a forum that would like to hear more about their boats;)

dustinjean

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Axis
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
im sure there was one at our boat show last weekend but me and my wife only looked at v drives, and it looks like a decent boat but as every company that is jumping into the jetboat market they come straight after yamaha because they know it is their biggest competition due to price and their history in the jetboat market.