• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Air filter mods

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have 2008 SX 230 and was wondering if anyone has done away with the factory setup on the air filters and gone with something a little different? The only reason I ask is that I'm about to order new air filters and really got to thinking about doing something different there. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jim

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I've not messed with them. I'm not a speed junky, but I do recall reading one post on this subject where a member, before buying new expensive aftermarket filters, tried running without filters (no restriction at all), and found no difference in performance. Many boats dont have air filters......so try it yourself for a run.....then decide.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Murf'n'surf ...I did think about those velocity stacks but read on the YJB site that someone had used those but really didn't make much difference in performance. Have to be honest, didn't realize how pricey those air filters are. The cheapest OEM air filter I've found is at Yamaha Sports Plaza for $71 each. Thanks for the info on the Riva site.

@Julian ...I had never thought about running with no filter. I think I would be to worried about getting something in there that I shouldn't. But it did make me think about my old 71 chevy truck. I used to turn the breather cover upside down to expose the air filter and let more air get to the carbs. Didn't really do a lot other than make it sound a little better when you stomped on the gas.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
When I owned an sx230ho and on my current wave runners I installed the r&d reusable air filters and velocity stacks. I didn't see any performance increases and couldn't hear any difference in the way the engines sounded either. The stacks are modern day "snake oil". The filters are nice in that they are cleanable and reusable. The openings on the bottom of the riva and R&d air filters determine what velocity stacks will fit (i.e., R&d stacks only fit the R&d filters). Also the metal mesh of the aftermarket filters takes the place of the stock flame arrest or so you can remove the stock flame arresters (I.e., the stock "velocity stacks") if you go with the aftermarket filters and still be "legal" by coast guard standards. In summary I think the air filters are worth the cost since in the long run they are cheaper than stock. Pass on the velocity stacks unless you just want to say you have them and don't care about the $100 they cost ($50 per set of 4 per engine).

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Most boats don;t have a true air filter and instead use a backfire suppressor. Our intake stacks have a backfire suppressor screen built in. From what I have seen our airfilter flow plenty of air for the motor. Cam.

fairpilot

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Are your current filters to the point of needing replaced. I have 2006 sx230 and filters look new. Just not that much debris bedding in compartment. Then again I don't know how long they are good for. I have tested without and saw no difference at all.
And yes Yamaha is proud of those filters you can see it in price.

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Ronnie ... Thanks Ronnie! I will probably just stick with the stock parts

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@fairpilot ... I'm going to check them out before I change them. Looked in the manual and they recommend changing out after 200 hours or every 2 years. I'm not real sure on how many years these have been in but I know I'm not anywhere close to being 200 hours. Heck, I don't even have a 100 hours on this rig yet.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Jim, I agree with the comments above regarding the "snake oil" of aftermarket stacks. The reason they offered them was as an alternative to expensive factory parts that had to be replaced vs just cleaning them. So they are expensive up front but then you just clean them after that. Also as mentioned, on the water without being in a dusty environment, you don't have much of a need to change the filters too often, so the ancestor worship of the automobile world is creeping into your boat!

Removing and running without the filters is a way to verify if you have a filter issue. This is just a temporary thing to see if you need filters and I personally wouldn't remove mine other than as a test, you still need to filter the air even on the water. But it is a good test. Because if you notice no difference when you do remove them, then you know it isn't a filter problem, but you also know that even removing the filters completely won't increase performance. Our filters are more suseptible to oil saturation or splatter reducing airflow than dust. Also, deterioration due to age is more a possibility than clogging due to dust. Just some things to consider but if you never overfill the oil, your going to be good to go more than likely.

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@txav8r ... thanks for the advice and insight. I have to admit that the first time I read about the velocity stacks I thought that make sense. Then after reading how they really didn't do much I lost interest pretty quick. I know now that if I want to increase speed I will have to increase horsepower and that's not going to happen on this boat. 50 mph. Is plenty for me.

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How often should our air filters be replaced and/or cleaned? What is the recommended method of cleaning? Over the years I have heard of plenty of things that we need to check but I don't think I have heard anything about air filters..... Actually I'm not even sure I know exactly where they are, or maybe I have seen them and just not paid attention to them.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Really? They are under the air box cover on the top of the engine. You can access them by removing the two phillips screws on the centerline, then disengaging the 8 slide latches (2 on each on side). I don't know the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule but I would check them out when I replace the plugs, so every year or so. Replace them if they are coated in oil or just falling apart (not likely). Around $150 for a pair of stock disposable filters or $200 for a cleanable / re-useable set.

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Ronnie, @Volffas ... this is what the owners manual states...upload_2014-3-15_5-48-19.png I wasn't exactly sure if mine were ever replaced but I think I will do as txva8r and Julian suggested and run without a filter just to see if there is a difference before making the investment.

rick johnston

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just put the Riva's in mine, a little less expensive than the stock and RPM went back up to 10,200 where it's supposed to be max.
just keep the oil level correct so the filters don't get wet and all should be good.
RJ

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@rick johnston ... do you know the part number for those Riva's? Thanks.

rick johnston

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
no I don't, boat is in storage, but I will try and get the part number for you.
do you have a High Output or regular 240 horse engine?
the 240 is like the picture above.

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have the HO engines.

rick johnston

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
mine aren't HO so sorry, wouldn't be able to help you out.
I don't know if they would be the same or not and wouldn't want to steer you wrong.
RJ

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The ho (160 hp) and non ho (140 hp) motors use the same air filters.