• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Do you tow tubes from your tower or lower tow hook?

Do you tow tubes from your tower or lower tow point?

• 1-Yes - I tow all tubes from the tower regardless of size

Votes: 56 29.6%
  • 2-Yes - I tow tubes from the tower - but only smaller ones

Votes: 20 10.6%
  • 3-No - I don't tow tubes from the tower- I use the lower tow point for tubes.

Votes: 113 59.8%

• Total voters

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Curious to know who tows tubes from their tower, and if they do, do you tow ALL tubes from the tower regardless of size, or would you, for example, not tow a Bandwagon2+2 from the tower as it weighs too much?

If you don't tow tubes, or don't have a tower...please don't vote.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

DieselCamel

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
World Cat
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I believe most manufacturers recommend using the transom hook for tubing and only used the tower for wakeboarding or skiing..

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I believe most manufacturers recommend using the transom hook for tubing and only used the tower for wakeboarding or skiing..
Yup....they do that to ensure they have an out if you get gel coat cracks from the stress on the tower...but towers are being made stronger and beefier all the time. I've not heard of a manufacturer saying "Our tower is so strong we don't limit towing of tubes from it like other manufacturers do"...but that would be a cool thing to say if it were true!!

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I always assumed they cautioned against tower tubing because of the possible height one might be able to get a tube up to while turning in the perfect scenario.

sstegh

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I've always avoided towing tubes from the tower because if it "subbed" while I was turning around to pick up a fallen rider, the high tow point could tip the boat farther over than I would like.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I've always avoided towing tubes from the tower because if it "subbed" while I was turning around to pick up a fallen rider, the high tow point could tip the boat farther over than I would like.
I assumed that subs would effectively be eliminated by towing from the tower....

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Towing from the tower on my year/model is imho safer for the passengers that towing from the lower tow point. It almost eliminates the the potential for slack to develop in the line during heavy whip/s turns that result in a whip lash effect. It virtually eliminates submarining and most chances of sucking up a rope too. Our tower is non foldable and much sturdier than some. I haven't taken a look at all of them but I wouldn't even consider towing a tube from the tower on the earlier version of folding towers that I've seen (08 212x).

I am not an expert. This is just my opinion not a reccomendation and results may vary ;)

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don't go crazy fast towing tubes from the tower. The speed and moment arm created are the dangers to the tower. If you want to whip the tube hard, the tow point makes more sense.

I agree that tubes tend to sub more when towed from the tow point versus the tower.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@buckbuck
That's bad data though because the bottom three feet of each of your tower tubes is filled with water from excessive sub moves. Totally changes the structural integrity of the tower!'

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I assumed that subs would effectively be eliminated by towing from the tower....
They aren't eliminated, I've had my Big Mable sub after the kids fell off and the tube was upside down while pulling from the tower. I just let off the throttles a little, it popped up and I went on with my turn.

robbo3

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I usually tow from the tower because it seems like it's easier to get the tube loose on the water at a lower speed, thus a more wild ride at a safer speed. On the tow hook, I usually need to be mid to upper 20s to swing the tube back and forth, on the tower I can hover just around 20.

Kane

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I really liked towing from the tower on our AR240. After we figured out that an extra 15 ' of rope stops the Jet wash it was all good from then on. My daughters are adrenaline junkys and they like lots of air and the tower makes that happen! When they load the tube at slow speeds it tends to sink but almost never under regular operation.

Monterro

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Kane How did you go about extending your rope. No one sells a 75' tow rope.

Kane

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I just went to our local water sports shop and bought a line with several links in it. Took what I needed and attached it to our tube line. Very easy and with the sections it allows you to add what you need.
I'll snap a pic this weekend when I head up north.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I used to tow from the tower and then someone on the lake told me that they saw a tower like mine get pulled sideways from a 3 person tube. I started pulling it from the tow point after. Yes its subbed a few times which scared the kids a little. Maybe this poll will change my habits back.

CrankyGypsy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
low tow point absolutely sucks.

I just put together a new setup that I believe reduces stress on the tower. I tested it a couple weeks ago with a single rider on a 70" Jolt tube. this setup gets the rider out of the spray/turbulence while also reducing sudden jerks to the tube and tower:

- 60' Heavy Duty O'Brien Rope
- 10' Extension off an AirHead 4-rider Rope
- (2) 3' Kwik Tek Bungee Extensions
- AirHead Quick Connect

I connected the 10' to the tower.
connected the 60' to the tube's built-in quick connect. placed both bungees in parallel on the other end of the 60' (might only need one, but I like the added security). placed the quick connect on the other end of the bungees. connected the quick connect to the 10' coming off the tower.

I noticed far less sudden jerks to the tube (both driving and riding) and am very happy with this configuration. my driver was very inexperienced, but she did a great job and I think the bungees helped a lot. I also plan on buying another AirHead quick connect for my wakeboard rope to allow me to easily swap them without climbing over my bimini.

btw: I have also submerged an empty tube (off the tower) before and that is something I hope I never do again - it was like dropping a parachute in the water!