• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Drone pilots: have you registered yet?

Will you register before the deadline?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
With the new requirement to register (anything over .5 lbs) and "take the oath", have you or will you be registering with the faa before February 19th? The AMA objects for a couple reasons and is suggesting members hold off on registering until they advise or until the deadline.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've already registered. In my book the AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics) is trumped by the FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) every time. Also, the AMA has been and will continue to be a valuable resource to educate people on how to properly use their models as well as provide insurance for the same but FAA registration and the the threat of fines and/or jail time will motivate modeler's to fly responsibly and take responsibility in the event that something goes wrong.

Unless a model is registered or otherwise carries ownership information it it were to cause damage to property or injuries to people the owner or operator could just walk away pretending he or she was not involved. That stated the FAA's definition of drones and its registration requirements seem to broad and overbearing IMHO.

Recall that model helicopters have been around for decades but it wasn't until recent innovations made the modern day multi rotor helicopter (quad copters in the case of DJI phantoms) easily accessible to the masses that the FAA had to bend to public opinion and take a stand. Just 10 years ago nitro methane powered rc helis (without GPS assistance or cameras commonly cost over $1,000). Electric helicopters could only stay in the air for about 7 minutes per charge and both types of models weighed 5+ pounds (my thunder tiger raptor was closer to 10 pounds and was a lot more dangerous since the main rotor had a 3 foot diameter and an optimal flight rpm of 1,550). So they were hard to fly, expensive, didn't have much utility, as a result fewer people had them and The FAA had little or nothing to say about them other than, no commercial use and limit flights to 400 feet high.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Having spent a lifetime being certified, scrutinized, and regulated by the FAA, I have always thought of them as overbearing @Ronnie . But I can tell you this, they are the Federal agency overseeing and regulating not only air commerce, but the airspace itself. Even NASA has to clear with the FAA. Modelers that register may have an accidental oversight that they either didn't intend or operated outside of regulation because they didn't understand it. But those not registering will be outside of the law from the gitgo, once it is mandatory to register. And those folks will more than likely be the deliberate violators of safety. I suspect that if registration is mandatory, there will be a pretty stiff penalty for not doing it. The grace period and free registration is a filter to see who will responsibly comply with intended regulation. If the AMA is suggesting that members don't register or wait, they themselves will feel that same wrath! Because the FAA has made an example of many many airlines and air operations. This is ripe for that. It would be in the best interest of a member to comply and not let the AMA sink their own ship. If they are truly suggesting an open violation of FAR's, it will get ugly. Deliberate violations of FAR's carries very stiff penalties and believe me, in every operation that is regulated by them, there is that disclaimer buried in the rules, that deliberate violation or non compliance will cost you big. In a professional pilots case, it not only will involve possible fines and other penalties, it will mean loss of license. The latter is the bigger threat to professional aviators, as it is their livelihood. For the drone operator, since the masses won't depend on it for a living, they will have very stiff penalties to deter a crime. And the old adage, "ignorance of the law is no excuse", will be alive and well. Register, it is the responsible thing to do.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have registered mine just figured I don't plan to do anything wrong with it so whats the harm in registering it. The crazy part is in the registration process they asked for no information about the drone its self not even a brand or model let alone any id numbers. The only way they could identify it as mine is if I put the registration number on it they gave which I have not done yet but I did put the paper work in my case in the event law enforcement was to ask me for it while I was flying it but I highly dought they will inspect it to see if I have the number on it unless it was an FAA agent.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Does the form ask if you are a terrorist? I am feeling so much more safe now....:confused:

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does the form ask if you are a terrorist? I am feeling so much more safe now....:confused:
Lol no basically its a credit card form I think they just want your money.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Don't think it is intended to stop terrorists....more like trying to ensure that if you have registered you drone, and lets say it gets sucked into a plane engine or loses power and lands on the white house lawn, they have a shot at knowing who's drone it was/is. By registering it keeps you aware of your flight responsibilities. From the website FAQ #56

Q56. Someone intent on harm will not register a drone, so doesn't this requirement just penalize responsible people who are excited about UAS?

A. Although no system or requirement is 100 percent effective against people intent on doing harm, registration heightens public awareness about what safe UAS operations look like. In addition, registration establishes a shared understanding that operating this type of aircraft for business or pleasure comes with certain responsibilities and expectations and that the public will be watching for and reporting bad actors, just as they do today for other safety and security-related concerns. Registration also enables us to educate UAS owners on safe operations

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
They could have just answered that question with a simple 'yes'.

I fly a couple Syma X5C drones that only weigh 106 grams. I have no intention of registering. The requirement is 250 grams or more.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

christopherglenn

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I registered opening day, but as I have flown outside prior to the 21st, I don't HAVE to register or mark the drone until the 21st of FEB. Sense my P3 doesn't need a tool to open the battery compartment, I can mark it inside, and not be visible externally. I also plan on marking the batteries and remote, as they are not cheap! In the grand scheme it is not that different from marking your ham license on your radio gear, or license plate on the kids bikes.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah the process was not invasive at all expected there to be a ton of questions really it was just kind of an honor system I do not feel like by registering mine that it was any kind of invasion of privacy. I really do not see it as a big deal. For as dangerous as these things could be I really do not think they have enforced any rules or restrictions that are a negative thing.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Lol no basically its a credit card form I think they just want your money.
They don't want your money, in fact, they are refunding you the 5.00 you pay so it's free for now. BUT, by asking for a CC, they are ensuring you don't lie about who you are. Unless you stole the CC info like the POS that tried to shop at walmart.com on dec 26th with my AMEX number.

I think the AMA is just waiting to see if there is any room for a court challenge...they will tell people to register before the deadline, just not yet while it's technically not required. They aren't anarchists.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Can you register without actually owning one?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@ Julian, on the phantom pilot site a few people are complaining that they have not been refunded the $5 yet. Third party companies will register on your behalf for $25. I'm not bleeding money but if after spending hundreds initially and now a thousand or more for each drone I'm not concerned enough with a $5 refund to even check if I have received it. I would have paid $25 to have someone else register for me if my log on problems on the FAA site would have continued.

@Murf'n'surf , I don't see anything on the FAA registration site that would keep anyone from registering there although you would have to put something in the type of drone and date purchased fields. Not sure why you would want to register if you didn't have a drone. Post registration the only requirements are that you keep proof of registration on you when you fly and put your registration number on every drone you own/fly. There may be an insurance requirement, I'm not sure, but I plan to have insurance regardless.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So, this registration is one per owner not one per drone?

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length