• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

GM Engine Starting Issue

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Hi All
When I came home yesterday, I started my wife’s 2022 Yukon Xl (5.3) with no problem. Just before going into drive, it sputtered out. Went to turn it back in, the starter cycles for about 5-7 seconds then the engine turns over, but then sputters out. Took the battery to the local auto store and they said it tests ok. Re installed the battery, tried using a jump box with an engine start function, but no go. All lights and everything functions as they should. Could this be fuel related like a pump or injectors? Just turned over 36,800 miles, so of course it’s out of the 3yr/36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
IDK, maybe that woman in the car behind your wife at McDonald's the other day, found where she lives and wants her mcmuffin. Lol. You say the starter turns over. It must fire if you say it sputters out. The fuel pump is in the tank. You may be able to hear it cycle when you turn the key. How many miles? I would check the air filter too, for critters.

Last edited:

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

I know you said a 2022, but maybe they haven't had enough issues with that year to expand the recall?

I was looking at a newer Lexus GX, and they had fuel pump issues while at highway speeds, and expanded the recall to include other years as it became apparent the issue wasn't isolated to 1-3 different years of production.

Throw a code reader on it to see if it tripped a generic something or other that might point you to a more specific item - if you don't have one, AutoZone pulls codes and will give you a printout if any are found.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
IDK, maybe that woman in the car behind your wife at McDonald's the other day, found where she lives and wants her mcmuffin. Lol. You say the starter turns over. It must fire if you say it sputters out. The fuel pump is in the tank. You may be able to hear it cycle when you turn the key. How many miles? I would check the air filter too, for critters.
Haha. No key, it’s a push start so I can’t put it into “pre start” and cycle the fuel pump. Milage is just over 36,800.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length

I know you said a 2022, but maybe they haven't had enough issues with that year to expand the recall?

I was looking at a newer Lexus GX, and they had fuel pump issues while at highway speeds, and expanded the recall to include other years as it became apparent the issue wasn't isolated to 1-3 different years of production.

Throw a code reader on it to see if it tripped a generic something or other that might point you to a more specific item - if you don't have one, AutoZone pulls codes and will give you a printout if any are found.
Thanks, issue becomes I can’t get the car started to get it to auto zone. Going to call the dealer and GM roadside assistance and see if they can tow it. Hopefully they can do something for me. Just very odd.

WV Hillbilly

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Pre-start on GM keyless is foot OFF the brake, hold the push button for 15 seconds.

if you have someone under the hood they can listen for the fuel pump relay or at the tank they can listen for the pump to run. You can also CAREFULLY depress the schrader valve on the fuel rail to see if you have any fuel pressure on the rail. Be advised you may have 60 psi on that rail.

hope this helps.

ahenderson432

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Second the Fuel Pump. I have had multiple GM/Chevy trucks over the years and have had to replace a fuel pump. Try squirting some CARB cleaner in the throttle body while turning over. You might get lucky and it starts to get it to the dealer/shop. Worked for me in the past until the fuel pump said NO MORE.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Second the Fuel Pump. I have had multiple GM/Chevy trucks over the years and have had to replace a fuel pump. Try squirting some CARB cleaner in the throttle body while turning over. You might get lucky and it starts to get it to the dealer/shop. Worked for me in the past until the fuel pump said NO MORE.

I’d just use some gasoline…

I think bottom bracket could be correct with the cam position sensor.. had that happen to my 97 7.3 liter diesel.. different fuel but same electronics principal. It’ll be interesting to see what it is.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Latest..
With somebody else trying to start it, you can smell fuel, like an old carb car loading up. Dealer. Service rep thinks it could be spark related and trying to cover it under the 5/60k powertrain warranty. 🤞
IMG_4944.jpegIMG_4945.jpegIMG_4946.jpegIMG_4950.jpeg

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The mpg really goes up when it's run like in your pics, but it's beyond cumbersome and time consuming. Good thing you finally got it in, I'd look at a cheap Bluetooth phone OBDII reader like @Bottom Bracket suggested, at the very least, you can get codes, even if it's not capable of anything else.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
The mpg really goes up when it's run like in your pics, but it's beyond cumbersome and time consuming. Good thing you finally got it in, I'd look at a cheap Bluetooth phone OBDII reader like @Bottom Bracket suggested, at the very least, you can get codes, even if it's not capable of anything else.
Agree. 17mpg on a flatbed is fantastic. Gas today on my way into work was $2.97 per gallon. Waiting for the dealer to call me back to see if they got the truck into the shop.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
End result is a fuel pump control module. $450 installed at the dealer, but on back order for 1-3 weeks. 836 miles out of my 3/36k bumper to bumper warranty and not covered under the powertrain 5/60k warranty.

WV Hillbilly

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Call GM customer care and open a ticket with them. They can push parts quicker than the dealer can (and there is no harm to the dealer).
I needed a DPF and it was on National back order. Another truck at the same dealership needed the same and it had been there since August. I got mine in less than 30 days and the other truck was still sitting there when I left.

May not help but it might and it’s an easy phone call.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Call GM customer care and open a ticket with them. They can push parts quicker than the dealer can (and there is no harm to the dealer).
I needed a DPF and it was on National back order. Another truck at the same dealership needed the same and it had been there since August. I got mine in less than 30 days and the other truck was still sitting there when I left.

Thanks for the info! On Mondays list.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I’m not 100% sure. The guy only called me so I have no physical paperwork yet. He said the fuel pump tested good. I’m going to see if I can find some PNs online and cross reference your screenshot. If I would guess, you’re on the right track if not on point.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length

I called yesterday morning and they opened a ticket to look into the possibility of claiming the control module under warranty. She said that the dealer is the determining factor on honoring work under warranty. Since I am 836 miles past my bumper to bumper warranty, she said she will request the diagnostic report from the dealer and review it against the powertrain warranty. Worst case, she also said they have special cost assistance as this is not neglect but outside the bumper to bumper if they cannot cover it. I told her this is starting to irritate me as this is my second major mechanical issue with this truck and both times its had to be towed from my house to the dealer. First one was when the lifters broke at 2,500 miles and now this. We know the lifters was a GM redesign issue that failed but this fuel pump control module just seems like a manufacture defect to me. I am supposed to hear back no later than Friday from GM Warranty on their findings and what to do next. I said I don't mind paying the $500 for the part installed, but in the meantime, I think they could at least foot the bill for a rental. I refuse to cave on this. I will update when I know more.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Update:
GM Warranty called me Friday and told me the part shipped from Michigan Thursday. They have yet to hear back from the dealership on the report to see if they can warranty it out based on their findings. I spoke with the dealer yesterday and they also confirmed the part shipped last week and hope to have the car completed by the end of the week. I asked if this would be covered under warranty and my service advisor told me that GM is standing firm that this is not a warranty item. GM Warranty said they will call my this Thursday to follow up, see if the report is in from the dealer, and if not, what cash assistance they can give towards the repair as its just outside the bumper to bumper warranty. Sounds like the dealer is giving me the run around to possibly up charge the repair, even after I told them I opened a ticket with GM warranty to look into the issue. :rolleyes:

WV Hillbilly

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
GM is funny in a lot of respects. The above DPF problem left me stranded on the side of the road 250 miles away from home with a 20’ utility trailer with two side by sides and all of my hunting gear. The truck was under bumper to bumper and well under the 100k driveline/emission warranties. GM roadside said they would tow the truck but I would have to pay for the trailer… Got to the dealer and they wouldn’t give me a loaner or rent me a truck. Rented a 3/4 ton from Enterprise out of my pocket, paid for the tow on the trailer, hooked up and headed home.

Long story short, all work/parts were covered, rental was paid for, trailer tow was reimbursed, gave me the option of having the truck delivered to me at home on a flatbed, and pushed 30,000 GMC reward points to my account. This still may work out in your favor.