• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help - Port Engine Not Starting

Mystic1906

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am of the serious opinion that my boat hates me. Pulled it out of storage today to do a last minute check before taking it to the dealer tomorrow for a trade check. Pulled the battery off to check the charge, reconnected it and then tried to start the engines. Starboard engine started fine with no issues but the port engine wont even turn over. Nothing, not even a click, when I turn the key.

The stereo doesn't turn on either but I don't know if it's related. My last trip out everything worked fine so I am at a loss.

So here are the steps that I took to troubleshoot -

1) I switched out the ignition switches to see if it was a bad switch. No joy with the switch that worked on the starboard engine.
20170219_183849.jpg

2) I tightened the nuts on the battery to make sure there wasn't a loose connection. I also removed all the cables and reconnected them but no joy from that either.
20170219_183742.jpg

3) I checked the fuse that was attached to the positive wires between the battery and the engine.
20170219_183754.jpg
4) I opened the engine hatch and pulled every fuse in the round fuse holder on the port engine side. None of the fuses were bad.
20170219_183820.jpg

I am at a loss as to what to do/check next. HELP!!!!!!

@Bruce @Julian @Andy S @Mainah

Just tagging as many people as I can for your expert advice. I want to resolve this before I take it to the dealer tomorrow if at all possible.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Mystic1906

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Checked them too. Opened the hatch and had my neighbor depress each one while I tried to start each engine. Again the starboard was fine but the port produced nothing.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Looking at your battery it seems like there are to many cables connected to the ground terminal, why 5 cables on ground and only 3 cables on positive? This doesn't answer why one engine started.

My guess is the accessory cable is connected to the ground. Trace back from accessory fuse to the battery to make sure it is connected right.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would also check the saftey lanyard switch. One wire for each engine off of that. Also check throttle position. Must say I am not very knowledgeable about your model/year.

I guess it is also possible that the starter relay could be bad.

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Silly question but did you charge the battery?
After the one engine started did you shut off and restart and start without an issue?
Seems electrical if the radio is not turning on.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I would also check wiring to the motor, positive and ground.

Mystic1906

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I honestly don't know why there are so many cables. I should have labeled them before I took them off (something to note for next time).

Mystic1906

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was looking for the starter but I don't know where it is located. I was looking online and in the forum for a picture or diagram for it. Do you have any?

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I honestly don't know why there are so many cables. I should have labeled them before I took them off (something to note for next time).
We're you messing with the battery cables before your issues?
It could be possible to have only 3 positive wires with a power bus bar at the helm splitting the power and running smaller negative to the helm, thus explaining the mismatch number of wires.
Do you have an amp on your boat?

Mystic1906

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No amp B. Haven't gotten around to messing with the sound.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree with others that it appears your accessory (house) wire is not connected to the battery but that should not affect starting. The accessory circuit positive should have a fuse in it near the battery and should be larger than the third red wire connected to the positive. Find and connect it and your stereo should work.

As for starting three things have to be correct for the engine to start. The throttle must be in neutral, the cleanout hatch switch must indicate closed and the lanyard must be installed. The first two will prevent cranking the third will prevent starting.

If all of those are ruled out there is a fuse in the ECU behind the engine that could be blown.

Do you hear the starter click if you try to start the engine with the good open? That would indicate a starter solenoid failure.

Mystic1906

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No click at all even with the engine hatch open. It leads me to think that the power isn't even getting to the starter but I can't figure out why. Have gone out to the boat several times tonight to try different things as I read new things to look at or try but nothing changes.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No click at all even with the engine hatch open. It leads me to think that the power isn't even getting to the starter but I can't figure out why. Have gone out to the boat several times tonight to try different things as I read new things to look at or try but nothing changes.
Could be the fuse behind the round cover on the ECU.

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Are navigation and docking lights working?

Mystic1906

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well after Bruce and Andy mentioned the accessory cable I went back and checked and no, none of the other accessories are working. The horn, lights, anything else. Too dark to mess around with it but it will be the first thing I check in morning.

Mystic1906

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Bruce There is another fuse behind the 8 under the cover? I pulled 8 different fuses and checked them.
Could be the fuse behind the round cover on the ECU.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce There is another fuse behind the 8 under the cover? I pulled 8 different fuses and checked them.
I thought there was only a single fuse in there. Looking at the manual I see ten. Not sure why there are so many.

IMG_0572.PNG

Mystic1906

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
All of them were ok. I pulled all of them and no burnt ones there.