• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

PIlot outlet, "pee hole", problem?

xoomer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm not sure if I'm having a problem with one of my "pilot outlets", or "pee holes" as some call them. Yesterday when still at the dock I started the engines and only saw water coming out of the port side pilot outlet. I restarted the starboard side engine a few times and left if running a couple of minutes each time but still couldn't see any water coming out of its pilot outlet. When I hooked up the flush hose, while still in the water, and shut off the tow valves, the water would flow out each the pilot outlets as I flushed the individual engines. I didn't take the boat out so I don't know if water would have come out at a higher RPM. Also, I did check the clean out plugs but didn't see any obstructions.

Is this something to be concerned about or is it normal not to have a flow at low RPMs?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The flow increases with RPM increases.

Cooling water exits through the pee holes, an additional drain on the transom and the exhaust. Having water flowing from the pee hole is an indication that cooling water is flowing. Lack of water flowing from the pee hole could be an indication that the pee hole is blocked, that the engine is not circulating enough coolant that RPM for it to come out of the pee hole or that the engine has a coolant flow issue. The pee hole is a feel good indicator.

I would take her our and monitor the pee hole for flow while watching the dash for indication of overheating. I bet it simply needs higher RPMs to start flowing.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
If you want to make sure there is no blockage, I have read to use weed trimmer line to shove down the hole to clear anything.

xoomer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the suggestions. It's a new boat with only a few hours on it so hopefully it is only a matter of running it at a higher speed--I'll see next week.

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would take it out and run it and see if it starts flowing, if not get a thin piece of wire and poke around in the pee hole, I had some sort of flying insect build a mud nest in mine years ago, a few pokes and it came loose.
But enough about your trip to the Urologist.......:eek:

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
+1 on the pee holes being unreliable when tied to the dock. Have been thinking about doing a mod with a washdown pump or ballast system to somehow use the flush system to push cooling water into the engines when the jet pumps are clogged. Have not had weed problems in a few years so this one fell off the back burner.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@xoomer The 1.8L have only one pee hole per engine as opposed the the MR-1's having a separate line for thermostat and exhaust return. It is usually the port side (longer hose run) that is weak or slow to show flow and needs additional rpm. So you may indeed have a restriction. With it being a new boat, you may have installed some items in your starboard under seat storage that kinked the hose. Check that first, follow the loop from there to the engine, and just make sure you don't have a kink in it. I wouldn't stick any kind of metal wire into the loop, you may puncture it. But...you can try weed eater line but I think your jumping the gun with any of that. Just rev the engine and see if you get flow with rpm. Go run it on the water and see what flow it gets. I am guessing it is only rpm related and on the hose has been typically not much water return to the pee holes. I have yet to flush my 240, but will report with results on pee hole flow on the hose as well as other behavior when I do. It will certainly be different than you get flushing on the water and using tow valves. If they flow in that scenario, I think you are fine.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Don't need to leave the dock to rev the engines....just put the engines in neutral, start them up, press the center button on the binnacles and rev the engines. Many people don't know that button is there so you can rev the engines without shifting out of neutral....

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Don't need to leave the dock to rev the engines....just put the engines in neutral, start them up, press the center button on the binnacles and rev the engines. Many people don't know that button is there so you can rev the engines without shifting out of neutral....
Just make sure the water is deep enough under the boat. :)

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Also be aware that you have no true neutral...and doing this may make the boat move much more, even though it is technically in "neutral". Mine drifts forward in neutral and when I do this, it puts much more pressure and strain, in the forward direction, on the dock lines.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Really?

I guess I would be one of those persons. Where is a binnacle? Photo anyone?

Damn, now I got to run up to the boat to see...

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Julian , LOL...your going to have to speak English American style! Binnacles are the throttles...I think. At least the button is in the middle of the point of rotation on the throttle lever.

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yep, what he said.... Its covered by a big ol black rubber thingy.... Just push in on that and move the power lever... it advances the engine rpm without engaging the the reverse gates!

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You will know its working if the force required to move the levers is noticeably less than normal because you are no longer moving the reverse gate cables......:winkingthumbsup"

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A few possibles and I think all have been covered:
"Flying insects"- Mud Dabbers pack these pee lines with mud chambers for their larva. Each cell is filled with a paralyzed spider food for the growing young. Best to use golf tees to keep this from happening. Clean out with weed trimmer line.
..thermostat not activated yet. Low temp. A quick rev will show indication of water if OK.
..Pinched line.. Kinda tough to do but can happen.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The newer boats have an elbow pee hole, can't use golf tees like we used to on the pre 2010 boats.

RiverRat

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I wonder if squishy ear plugs would work as a bug stopper on the new pee holes.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
If they don't get pushed down in there! Maybe the ones with the cord between them. Good idea though...

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length