• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

100% of engine water removed

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I considered a modification to be able to get to the water boxes to drain them...before our lakes became infected. My '08 didn't have all the baffles inside the waterbox that the later models (and my 12') do (it is for more sound suppression I suspect). But, I am envisioning another mod or at least a cheat. It wouldn't be something you want to do very long due to back pressure, but you could take two dry rags (one rag for the 190/192 boats), and stuff them into the rubber exhaust opening. It will catch and dry any moisture that tries to pass out the exhaust for the inspection. Just don't run them longer than 10-15 seconds and do not rev them up with the rags in place. Don't let any inspector insist that you rev them either. Revving the engines is a normal procedure to clear the exhaust of moisture after boating. But it will not clear all the water from the water boxes as they trap several inches in there. And others have said, even after a year, there will still be water in them. That water has water vapor that will travel after the engine is started, and while it will be a minute amount, some will be seen on startup even if you don't rev the engines. All that could be done is as suggested above, start them prior to inspection and rev them to clear. Just be advised that revving them again will move some water/vapor, back to the exhaust exit once again, so this process may not be 100% effective. I would try the rag trick, and see if the engine will even run with the rag in there. Do not push it up the exhaust, just put it inside the black rubber finned exhaust exit cover. You could even make a breathable diaphragm of some sort to install in there I would think...but remember, water is supposed to exit your exhaust at that point, so you don't want to permanently block it. If you try this, and it works, I would say it is important to move away from the inspection and get the rags out of there pretty quick, as gases will be trapped in the exit and you don't want that to back up into the engine...this may be less important than I am considering but maybe not. Anyway, If I still had my boat ( @Betik ), I would go straight out now, place the rags, and see if it started and would run for a 10 second inspection. I would put money on the fact it will block the water/water vapor from exiting!

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am too muc of chicken to try this on my own. It sounds like it will just go BOOM on me.
However, I will be more than to tow for 1 hour north so @txav8r can run a little experiment on his old girl :D
I will just watch.

I hope the swat does not read this post.

Wr3ckdiver

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
After reading all this I am so glad I moved out of the gulag that is California, I can't imagine how long the line must be to put your boat in a lake nowadays there. Do the Boat Nazis let you have another chance or are you blacklisted for life @CaliJetBoater75?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Here is the truth. The water in the water boxes is virtually sterile. It has been processed through the engines and came out hot and any infection was killed. Disclaimer: this is NOT true if your engine isn't warm. So when loading the boat on the trailer and at idle, you may be circulating water that isn't warmed sufficiently to kill the larvae. There are effective treatment methods by circulating some bleach through the clean outs, but that won't help you pass the Cali inspections. My recommendation is just to help pass the inspection by stopping it from emitting water when they make you fire the engines.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
After reading all this I am so glad I moved out of the gulag that is California, I can't imagine how long the line must be to put your boat in a lake nowadays there. Do the Boat Nazis let you have another chance or are you blacklisted for life @CaliJetBoater75?
gulag ????? Not many people know about those.... I typically would say PRC ( People's Republic of California), but gulag is more accurate.

Dough

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Had to Google that one. Love it!

Zonie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sounds like NY has the best mussel inspection program currently in place. Ncal / santa clara county is the exact opposite, if you fail its on you the boater to figure out how to pass the next time around and they make you wait a few days before you can pay the fee and try again. Based on the OPs wet vest check comment id bet scals processes are a lot like ncals. I have heard/read that lake tahoe is strict but more like ny in that you can fail but can have someone make your boat compliant and be on the water the same day. I also read it's not free the service fee is or was around $100. by the way some bodies of water in ca have an honor system like inspection process where you get an informational form that you sign and put on your dash stating that you have not boated in infested waters recently so you are ok to boat there subject to a big fine if you are caught lying about it. At other locations they bring out a dog to sniff the boat and trailer, if it barks you fail of not enjoy the day on the water. I liked this the best, free and fast.

Ironically i bought my first yamaha jet boat from a resident of santa clara county who said part of the reason he sold it is because of the inspections put in place recently (2008/9). I thought that will never be me. Yet here i am years later refusing to go to those reservoirs because of the inspections.

For me failure is not an option, if i fail i cant boat there or anywhere near there all weekend, effectively killing boating at all that day for my crew and i because it would take at least 2 hours to get to the nearest alternative boating location on top of the 1 it took to get to the first location plus up to 30 mins to prep the boat for the inspection and another 30 mins waiting for the inspection and the inspection itself. So now i just dont boat there anymore. Life is to short for me to be thoroughly drying off my boat just so I can get it wet again or risk losing a great day on the water with my friends and family over a technicality like wet lines.
Yes, NY has a pretty good program but Lake George is the only lake I'm aware of that has it set up like this. Most of the lakes/streams in the Adirondacks are on the honor system. Lake George's system been in place for about 4 years now and started shortly after Asian clams were first discovered. Short lines, cool inspectors, and it's all free including a wash if people need it. Funny though, boaters still complain about the inspections. It's crazy too because once you see the lake you understand why. It's super clear, not Lake Tahoe clear, but still amazing and pretty deep too at well over 200'.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wisconsin is on the honor system as well. In the spring of the year you'll find the "DNR Interns" (as I call them) out at the launch passing out brochures and stuff about how to stop invasive aquatic species.

"Sir, do you have a moment that I could speak to you?"

I'm always nice to them and let them give their little shtick. If it's a new kid I end up reminding them of the parts they missed and they always laugh "Heard this before huh?"

"Yeah, once or twice."

Boy, if I had to deal with that inspection thing I think it might put me off of boating. Ramps can be enough of a hassle without that. 'Course I'm an old "small town kid" so I've never had much patience for waiting in long lines or dealing with crowds.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
gulag ????? Not many people know about those.... I typically would say PRC ( People's Republic of California), but gulag is more accurate.
FYI While looking up gulag the following message came up, very informative for me on a site I use occasionally at home and at work. Worth the time it took to make a small donation.

Maybe this a scam and I’m just a sucker who fell for it but hitting the donate button felt like the right thing to do.

608BC3F0-1F34-417E-A678-E56FD1C6EAF6.png

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@txav8r , What about a piece of scotchbrite pad? seems like it would block water while being porous enough to avoid too much back pressure.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@txav8r , What about a piece of scotchbrite pad? seems like it would block water while being porous enough to avoid too much back pressure.
It might work, it needs to conform to the round diameter of the exhaust opening inside that black slatted boot. My thoughts are that any blockage may keep it from running or running well. But all the inspector wants to see is that water does not come out of there, and you can tell them it is a 10-15 second limit anyway...MAXIMUM. And...that you would never push it to the maximum. So all you need to do is fire them off, run for 4 or 5 seconds, and shut down without a drop of water or moisture from them. I wouldn't recommend leaving anything in permanently or trying to run an engine over idle with the exhaust restricted like that. The problem with even suggesting this as an approach, is the possibility of someone leaving it in there.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
You know, now that I think about it more...this is residual water left in the plumbing that is already past the water box or just at the point of leaving it. Because it takes some revving to get the water past it in the first place. You may be able to just reach in with a rag, and dry out the opening of the exit, and stop it from showing any moisture on another start up. The rag in the exhaust is just insurance that the water or moisture isn't going to ruin your whole trip. A knowledgable jet boat guy, that also happened to be an inspector, and was adamant about the engine being dry, would be both an idiot and a real jerk, but he could reach into the exhaust opening and just see if any moisture gets on his hand or fingers. I say a jerk because if he knows those engines that well, he knows they can't be dried out 100 even if it sat dry for a whole year, and that would make him an idiot if he knew enough to reach in there, but not enough to know it would never be dry. Anyway, I am not trying to help anyone sneak by an inspection illegally. I know that it is impossible to dry out the waterbox, and it is ignorance on the legislators part to set up an inspection this way. So my suggestion is just a way to comply without being turned away by an inspector that doesn't know his stuff. I mean really, water foul go from lake to lake, carrying whatever microbes they had on them. This invasive species will spread, it is just a matter of time and this is more political than it is environmental. It is a nasty species nonetheless and every effort should be taken to prevent them/eradicate them.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If you like to fish, you really don't want these invasive mussels in your home lake....they filter the water and make it nice and clear...so clear that young fish have no where to hide....so the fish population plummets. Also, the damn things are f'ing SHARP and lakes that are infected result in the need for water shoes if you want to wade from your boat to the shore. So I'd support any efforts to try and keep these nasty buggers from my lake!

The lake we frequented in Wisc had them....surf shoes were a requirement....sucked....

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
How long does it take for them to grow to barnacle size?

The reservoir i used to go to only sent divers down to inspect the plumbing 4 to 5 years after the program started, at least that is what i remember from the news at the time, and they determined the water wasnt infested, yet.

I assume that if the water is already infested they continue to inspect to try and keep it from getting worse.

CaliJetBoater75

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My boat was “quarantined” for 8 days from LA County lakes. Luckily there was another lake 40 minutes away in Ventura County so we still got on the water that day. After my 8 days is up I’ll be trying again but I will do multiple engine fire ups before getting to the inspection station

Wr3ckdiver

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@CaliJetBoater75 I understand they are trying to keep the mussels out of the lake but it is ridiculous. Not to be political but the left has such a hold on that state that everything you can think of has a regulation, fee, taxed or some kind of restriction. Sad because it is such a beautiful place with the mountains, deserts and coastal areas. I am a native Californian, but I had enough and moved to South Florida couple years ago.

Last edited:

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As others have said, even removing the water boxes from the boat or ski, and turning them up/down will still not release all the water due to the internal baffles. So you will really never be able to blow or dry them out completely.

I would think if you flushed the engines with a freshwater source for a few minutes, in front of the inspector, it would alleviate any concerns there is contaminated water still in the exhaust system. I just don't see any other way.

-Greg

Ben Okopnik

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I wonder if there's a way to run a hose from your tow vehicle exhaust to your engine water intake - say, while you're driving to the lake. Pretty much guaranteed to cook everything nice and dry (assuming it doesn't melt something along the way.)

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My boat was “quarantined” for 8 days from LA County lakes. Luckily there was another lake 40 minutes away in Ventura County so we still got on the water that day. After my 8 days is up I’ll be trying again but I will do multiple engine fire ups before getting to the inspection station
Have you had your boat inspected again since? If so how did it go?