• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

100ah LifePO4 for $299

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Don't know the brand, but that it a crazy price - 100Ah for $300!

Jim

There are several on Amazon with 1000+ reviews right around that price point.

Would this be a good battery for an single "all in one" battery for an SX 195? My battery is now 5 years old and it tests fine, but I don't want to be stranded out in the middle of Lake Erie with a lead acid battery. I do carry a lithium ion jump box, but still.

I run all LiFePO4 in my R/C airplanes and helicopters for radio gear, and LiPo for the motors. I store my LiPo in a explosion proof bag/container. I like the non explosive nature of the LiFePO4 vs the LiPo. Is the stator system capable of charging it properly? Any thoughts? Any using a single LiFePO4?

Thanks,
Bob

Edit/Correction: LiPo batteries for R/C motors.

Last edited:
I run all LiFePO4 in my R/C airplanes and helicopters for radio gear, and lithium ion for the motors. I store my lithium ion in a explosion proof bag/container. I like the non explosive nature of the LiFePO4 vs the Lithium ion. Is the stator system capable of charging it properly? Any thoughts? Any using a single LiFePO4?

As for safety I believe the ranking is LiFePO4 > Lithium Ion > LiPo.

LiPo is what was catching fire in hoverboards, phones, laptops, etc. They burn if punctured, overly discharged or charged too rapidly. I store these in a fire bag.

Lithium Ion, 18650s and similar, are quite safe and hard to burn.

LiFePO4 seems to be the least flammable but is lower voltage per cell which does not matter if already packaged.

Would this be a good battery for an single "all in one" battery for an SX 195? My battery is now 5 years old and it tests fine, but I don't want to be stranded out in the middle of Lake Erie with a lead acid battery. I do carry a lithium ion jump box, but still.

I run all LiFePO4 in my R/C airplanes and helicopters for radio gear, and LiPo for the motors. I store my LiPo in a explosion proof bag/container. I like the non explosive nature of the LiFePO4 vs the LiPo. Is the stator system capable of charging it properly? Any thoughts? Any using a single LiFePO4?

Thanks,
Bob

You need high output dual purpose battery for starting/house combo like this one from bass pro, search high output in amazon if you want other brand. For the charging @FSH 210 Sport have a thread on how he charge his LifePO4 start/house.
Tracker Lithium Super High Output Lithium Marine Starting Battery | Bass Pro Shops

You can find that thread here..https://jetboaters.net/threads/conversion-to-lifepo-batteries.35834/

Based on the research that I did, I would not buy a LiFePO4 battery from anyone except Battle Born or ReLion. You will see my reasoning in my thread.

ReLion makes the batteries for Bass Pro / Cabela’s. Battle Born is my first choice by far and away as their battery management system will not allow you to do anything to the battery that will hurt it. Relion is close but, at the time of my research, their BMS would not prevent the battery from charging when it is too cold. If you charge a LiFePO4 battery below 32* at the same charge rate as you usually use you will wreck it, charge it below 15* and it will also be destroyed at any charge level, if the battery doesn’t have internal heaters and the BMS to assure it will not charge at too cold of a temp.

Battle Born also gets the nod from me as they are a totally American made battery, designed, built (that includes the cells themselves) and tested here in the United States.

You can find that thread here..https://jetboaters.net/threads/conversion-to-lifepo-batteries.35834/

Based on the research that I did, I would not buy a LiFePO4 battery from anyone except Battle Born or ReLion. You will see my reasoning in my thread.

ReLion makes the batteries for Bass Pro / Cabela’s. Battle Born is my first choice by far and away as their battery management system will not allow you to do anything to the battery that will hurt it. Relion is close but, at the time of my research, their BMS would not prevent the battery from charging when it is too cold. If you charge a LiFePO4 battery below 32* at the same charge rate as you usually use you will wreck it, charge it below 15* and it will also be destroyed at any charge level, if the battery doesn’t have internal heaters and the BMS to assure it will not charge at too cold of a temp.

Battle Born also gets the nod from me as they are a totally American made battery, designed, built (that includes the cells themselves) and tested here in the United States.

What about places where 32 degrees isn't ever even a thought?

The only budget LiFePO4 batteries I would personally buy were ones recommended by Will Prowse https://www.youtube.com/@WillProwse https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/lithium-batteries.html He actually takes them appart to inspect the BMS and cells. That being said he likes this one which is not much more then then one you posted https://www.amperetime.com/products/ampere-time-12v-100ah-lithium-lifepo4-battery?ref=h-cvbzfahsek

I love his website. Whenever I dream of doing a solar installation, I go here to learn. :winkingthumbsup"

Jim

Thanks,
Bob

In theory you could use a standard LifePO4 as a start battery if you are NEVER going to encounter freezing temperatures and if your discharge capacity will not exceed the batteries max rated discharge load. High loads or charging at freezing will damage the battery which is why they are not normally used for start batteries. Lithium is capable of high discharge if the battery if designed for it. I know of an electric Catamaran that can discharge its entire 24kwh battery bank if 10 min at full throttle if needed.

What about places where 32 degrees isn't ever even a thought?

The ReLion’s would be a good choice. They have internally heated deep cycle batteries but you cannot connect them in series, but the non heated deep cycles can be connected in series. ReLion also has dedicated start batteries, both of these batteries can be had at West Marine or Cabela’s / Bass Pro. So, in the unlikely event you do have an issue you can just walk into their store to exercise your warranty. I don’t think their start battery can be hooked in series, not sure on that one. I had a long chat with the supervisor of their tech department, nice guy, when he didn’t have answers to the questions I had I heard him break out the manuals to find those answers, that impressed me.

Relion dual purpose 100Ah battery: $1,159

ReLion dual purpose 100Ah start/deep cycle battery spec sheet:

I would still buy the Battle Born batteries though. In addition to the excellent customer service BB sells all of the support equipment, mainly Victron Energy components, to set up any installation a body would want to use their batteries for. BB is the one who tuned me on to the Victron Energy smart shunt, and that tech had me call him back once I had it installed to go over the settings just to make sure I would get the most out of it. I had the same experience with the Victron chargers, I wanted a charger with more charging capacity than my MinnKota‘s 10A’s of charge current. The tech walked me through the settings BB wants for their batteries, had me save those settings to a file folder within their app and then apply those settings to the other two chargers. With the IP67’s 25A’s of charge current my batteries now charge up in 3 & 3/4 hours from an 80% discharge instead of 12-14 hours, and at any given time, before, during, or after I can pull up each charger and see how it performed. Shipping on their batteries is free in the lower 48 states. I knew I was going to be spending a grip to put these batteries in and I wanted the best I could get my hands on.

Battle Born does not have a start battery.

Battle Born 100Ah deep cycle battery: $874

Battle Born 100Ah deep cycle battery spec sheet:

Looking to possibly go Battle Born LiFePO4 for my Starting Battery and House Battery.

Is it as simple as dropping the LifEPO4s in with the appropriate onboard chargers or do further modifications need to be made?

These batteries would be for the starter and house only. I'm still maintaining my four XS Power 3100 Group 31 AGMs for the sound system.

Battle Born does not recommend using their batteries as starter batteries. based on my research and I believe a video linked in the thread that I have on conversion to LifePro batteries, the one place were lead acid batteries are superior is in the starting role, as they can deliver large amounts of amperage.

You will have to modify the DVSR to either operate with an ignition hot or from a rocker switch. https://jetboaters.net/threads/12-volt-accessory-buss-additional-switches.37156/#post-604853

Heres the link to my conversion to LiFePO4 batteries…it’s 6 pages long but a lot great info.

I think you can get the same performance that your 4 group 31 batteries provide with two 100Ah BB batteries for less than 1/4 the weight? 280# vs. 62#

Battle Born does not recommend using their batteries as starter batteries. based on my research and I believe a video linked in the thread that I have on conversion to LifePro batteries, the one place were lead acid batteries are superior is in the starting role, as they can deliver large amounts of amperage.

You will have to modify the DVSR to either operate with an ignition hot or from a rocker switch. https://jetboaters.net/threads/12-volt-accessory-buss-additional-switches.37156/#post-604853

Heres the link to my conversion to LiFePO4 batteries…it’s 6 pages long but a lot great info.

I think you can get the same performance that your 4 group 31 batteries provide with two 100Ah BB batteries for less than 1/4 the weight? 280# vs. 62#

Thanks for the tip. When I was designing the system on my 2019 242SE I had contacted Battle Born in regards to using their batteries for the Sound System bank. Based on the amount of amps the sound system was drawing they did not recommend using lithium. They actually recommended I use AGM.

I also contacted XS Power in regards to their lithium product and again, they recommended I stick with the XS 3100 AGMs based on the amount of Amps the system was pulling. I gave Wet Sounds a call and the said the same.

I've got a dual pro Eagle Performance 25amp onboard charger (https://www.dualpro.com/eagleperformanceseries) hooked up to each XS 3100 (four in total) so they recharge in no time.

After reading your feedback, I may get a high quality AGM for my house and starter... possibly NorthStar on our 2024 222SE. Thanks again for the info.

yep.. been there done that... used Dakota Lithium for the start battery and 2 Ampere time 100Ah for the house string.. runs 3x 600w class D amps at reasonable sound levels for 8 hours and drops 0.1Vdc on my DVM... been running this setup for the last 8 months on a 3-4 days a week basis and no Issues

yep.. been there done that... used Dakota Lithium for the start battery and 2 Ampere time 100Ah for the house string.. runs 3x 600w class D amps at reasonable sound levels for 8 hours and drops 0.1Vdc on my DVM... been running this setup for the last 8 months on a 3-4 days a week basis and no Issues

is this your boat or car?

Thanks for the tip. When I was designing the system on my 2019 242SE I had contacted Battle Born in regards to using their batteries for the Sound System bank. Based on the amount of amps the sound system was drawing they did not recommend using lithium. They actually recommended I use AGM.

I also contacted XS Power in regards to their lithium product and again, they recommended I stick with the XS 3100 AGMs based on the amount of Amps the system was pulling. I gave Wet Sounds a call and the said the same.

I've got a dual pro Eagle Performance 25amp onboard charger (https://www.dualpro.com/eagleperformanceseries) hooked up to each XS 3100 (four in total) so they recharge in no time.

After reading your feedback, I may get a high quality AGM for my house and starter... possibly NorthStar on our 2024 222SE. Thanks again for the info.

Thats interesting on the recommendation (and admirable) from BB and XS power about amp draw and heir recommendation, seems like I learn something new all the time.. love it. I am a bit surprised by that though, the BB battery has a high continuous amp draw rating, do you remember their reasoning behind the recommendation to use AGM batteries? At the very least, four of their 100Ah in // would provide an enormous amount of current.

Speaking of current, I see you did your research on AGM batteries and their charge rates, the AGM’s can take 25 easily as long as the voltage doesn’t get above 14.7. Those chargers look burly!

Did you watch this video? Probably the most concise and informative piece I’ve seen on battery performance.

My hope is that you come up with a great set up for your boat! I’ve been very happy with my AGM start / LiFePO4 house set up as by the end of the day with the group 24 FLA battery I’d have to run the engines to support the house battery as it’s voltage was dropping, with the LiFePO4 house battery I can run my live well fill pump and the aerator all day along with my MFD etc with no issues whatsoever.

I also hope you are enjoying life in Canyon Lake! Friends of mine lived there for a long time.

is this your boat or car?
ratty ole boat... pulled 4 x group 29 deep cycle FLA's... saved enough weight to go net decrease in the gross weight with the MR-1's and ~~2X the usable battery power...
attachment - 2022-02-13T170216.691.jpgattachment - 2022-02-26T113815.282.jpgattachment - 2022-03-03T110624.741.jpgattachment - 2022-03-03T110656.218.jpgattachment - 2022-03-03T110709.575.jpgattachment - 2022-04-24T202920.566.jpg

Last edited:
Back