• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

165 Owners: Can You Do a 180 at Max Speed?

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Hi, random question... lol

First jet boat, saw videos of people turning hard at good speeds and do a 180 on a dime. I've done it many times BUT always at around 30mph. It certainly swings hard! To be clear, turning the steering wheel at its limit to do this.

My boat's top speed is 42mph with a 150HP. I've never dared to try it at top speed... has anybody done it? I feel like it would probably work just fine (with no waves) but I've always been afraid of trying it.

ALAN MANN SR.

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I have a 2015 165 HO and top speed is 53 to 56. I have done it ONE TIME and only ONE TIME at 50 and it will slide sideways for a second or two before it goes the other way. Scared the HOLY S--T out of me. At 40 it will scare you and you hope it does not catch when it is sideways. I would not suggest it being done alone, you need the boat level. You also need the extra throttle to get the boat to come around. Also wear the engine cut off lanyard.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Ha ha, good to know! OK, so my instincts that it may be pushing it at 42mph isn't wrong. Won't be doing it then lol Thanks!

jsimanskey

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ha ha, good to know! OK, so my instincts that it may be pushing it at 42mph isn't wrong. Won't be doing it then lol Thanks!
Go for it! It's one of the things I miss most about my Speedster - I don't know your boat, but with that old hull I could power through and throw a good spray too.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've been driving boats since I was 12, so 27 years. I grew up on the water and have done some crazy shit. If you hit a bump, or the hull sticks, there will be pain and carnage. I've seen people smash their face on the opposite side of the boat, and go from the rear to the front in a second. I'd hit 8' swells at 60, chop the gas, spin the prop dry, count hang time, then land and mash the gas for the next one. I'd think twice about attempting 180s at speed, even 30. I hit a wave broad side on a jet ski when it hopped, broke off my front teeth and split my lip. Never hit waves board side! Only attempt in glassy water. No women or children on board.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Yeah, I definitely won't be pushing it further. I'm on a series of tiny lakes, with no waves at all mind you so I don't have the sudden waves issues that are seen on bigger lakes. I can say that at 30 mph, with the 165 model, I'm very confident it can handle a 180 since I've done it over and over again. Alone in the boat or with a passenger or two in the bucket seats (warned and holding on tight before doing it). With that being said, it's not a must for me, it was just a fun thing to do to show off the maneuverability of the boat.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Be safe. I'd jumped thousands of waves just like the one that smashed my face and broke my teeth.

Scarabpaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I did this once with my old speedster 150 on a smooth lake with a passenger. he ripped the grab handle right off. I was going nearly full speed. never did that again.... :)