• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

195 cold start issues

steve0617

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
'17 AR195 here ... has done it since day 1 ... doesn't matter if it is on the trailer or in the water. It does not like a cold start. It will turn over about 5 or 6 times before it fires up. It will have a low and rough idle to it for about 2-3 seconds, then dies. Most of the time it will fire right up and idle fine on the second start (once in a great while it will die). But after that it's all good. Once the engine is going, no more issues the rest of the day. Annual tune-ups, change of plugs, etc. ... nothing has made it any better. After 5 years of ownership, I've just learned to live with it.
My 19 AR195 is the same. It turns over and fires fine but then dies. Usually I’ll pop it out of idle and gun it a bit to make sure it stays running. Problem of course with no neutral, is that causes me to move around the dock.

So now when I pull it out of the garage into the street to put the tower back up, I’ll go through the routine until I get it to run on its own. Then we head to the reservoir. That way, I know 100% I’m not gonna be “that guy” blocking the ramp cause my damn boat won’t start.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Couple tips...

1. Check battery terminal tightness
2. Check the air filter
3. Check the condition of the plugs
4. Swap the plug coils

Does it start easily when warm? If it's heat related it could be a faulty coil or just a bad electrical connection.

steve0617

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Couple tips...

1. Check battery terminal tightness
2. Check the air filter
3. Check the condition of the plugs
4. Swap the plug coils

Does it start easily when warm? If it's heat related it could be a faulty coil or just a bad electrical connection.
1. They're fine.
2. Also fine
3. Will replace them anyway as it's time
4. Unsure if I want to do that.

Once I get past the cold start stalling during the first start of the day after not having run in a few weeks/month, it's never an issue again that day. It's done this from the very first time I put it in the water and having read others having issues, I have always assumed it's just how it is.

Ibeflyinhigh

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I added a k and n today and also a breather kit. I'll see if it helps any. Ran 4 more hours on it and seems to be doing better.20211020_182250.jpg20211020_183719.jpg20211020_182250.jpg

David Martin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wow!!! I'm surprised how much more surface area the K&N filter has over the stock.......air flow should be better.......sweet.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Just for the heck of it, next time you start the engine for the first time , turn on the key but do not hit the starter for 10 seconds to allow the fuel system to pressurize and see if that remedies the situation.

dshscarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
My 2019 AR195 does the same thing as Steve0617 Yamaha does. I have been doing the same thing. Starting on trailer, bumping the throttle to keep running for a minute, then shutting off to launch boat down ramp. This way, when in water ready to go, it starts right up and idles properly.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
My 2019 AR195 does the same thing as Steve0617 Yamaha does. I have been doing the same thing. Starting on trailer, bumping the throttle to keep running for a minute, then shutting off to launch boat down ramp. This way, when in water ready to go, it starts right up and idles properly.
😲
Running for a minute out of the water? I hope that's just a figure of speech and you meant seconds - without cooling water flow, you could seize your engines as pistons and cylinders get hot REAL fast without cooling. Yamaha recommends no more than 15 seconds without water flow.

Irregardless you shouldn't have staring issues like this - these engines are computer controlled fuel injected models and they should start and idle first time every time.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Just for the heck of it, next time you start the engine for the first time , turn on the key but do not hit the starter for 10 seconds to allow the fuel system to pressurize and see if that remedies the situation.
I was trying this when I first got the boat and my strb engine wouldn't always fire up. Found out the cutoff switch wasn't 100% closing and since adjusting it, never an issue starting. I no longer wait to fire them up - run the blower for 5mins and turn on the keys to fire it up - works 100% now.

rhtufts

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I have a 2019 AR195 that I bought in July. Mine usually takes 2 tries to start when engine is cold and idles rough for first 5 to 10ish seconds. Then its 100% fine for the rest of the day. The first time it happened it freaked me out but now I just consider it normal for my boat.

steve0617

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Hmmmm interesting. Will certainly try that next time. Hadn't occured to me that the pressure might need to build first.

David Martin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I like cobra idea.... the pump does come on for 3 seconds to pump up pressure.....then shuts down waiting for start.........on most boats the oil pressure sender holds the pump on during operation. If an accident occurs like (boat sinking/fire ect.....) the engine dies and the lack of oil pressure shuts off the fuel pump so no fuel is still pumping into the fire or water.

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Same here. Normal I would say.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Yesterday I was able to confirm that the fuel I got at Lake Powell, 87 ethanol, was the reason my boat was having starting issues that it never did before. With the LP 87 it took 8 tries with the boat in the water. Yesterday after having got my usual 86 octane non ethanol and running it through the boat on my last outing, first try started and died, second try started and ran.