• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

2001 Yamaha ls 2000 trouble

holidayshoreslsboater1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
i recently bought a Yamaha jet boat that was in good condition. I am new to the jet boating hobby and I am having some trouble. The boat ran fine all day the other day. We docked it had dinner and went out for one last ride before dark. As we were heading out I mistakenly drove with only one engine running and ever since (not knowing if this caused the problem) I can not get the rpms to stay up above 4000. It's almost like its starving for power. As I accelerate the rpms decrease over time while the other engine is running perfectly. Help? I changed spark plugs and checked fuel filters. Also checked the jet area for debris.

Is it the engine that was not running that is giving you trouble? If so, STOP running it ASAP and check the oil for water. Running about no wake speed with only one engine can force water up your water intake and into our non-running engine. So check the oil asap to see if it has water in it (milky color). If it has water in it, then you need to ask fast and get the water out via multiple oil changes.

Ok as I was trouble shooting my problems I took it back out and i have tried to run it. What could have happened if I ran the engine still?

Whoops....realize this is a 2 cycle...so no oil sump. I'm no mechanic, but the problems caused by running with water can be quite varied....

[USERGROUP=9]@HELP[/USERGROUP] probably a good idea to get more folks attention on this one and get you some well rounded advice. Normally one would say pull the plugs, blow the water out, and run hard to evaporate any remaining water. If you ran it with water in the cylinders, I would think it wouldn't have started.....did it take time to start?

It has a bit of trouble starting but will start and run equally as well as the other motor despite some sputter. until it gets above 4k rpm it will begin to lose power after throttling down. I changed the plugs thinking I fouled them out but stinhad same problem.

It has a bit of trouble starting but will start and run equally as well as the other motor despite some sputter. until it gets above 4k rpm it will begin to lose power after throttling down. I changed the plugs thinking I fouled them out but stinhad same problem.
Check your air filter on the trouble engine. It may be coated with oil/water.

You should pull the spark plugs, remove the lanyard and crank the engine. It's possible that there's water in the engine, so look for the water to be pumped out of the cylinders. If so, crank out as much as you can get, possibly put a bit of oil in each cylinder and crank again a few times. Then reinstall the spark plugs and run it like you stole it for an hour or so in order to get any residual moisture out of the engine. If there's water in the engine and you don't remove it, it will destroy the engine pretty quickly. So time is of the essenspce. Good luck, keep us posted on what you find.

I am not familiar with these boats but an engine is an engine. Since it starts and runs partially (up to 4K RPM) I would guess there is no longer water in the combustion portion of the engine but something may have been damaged. I would start with the basics as mentioned above get any remaining water out, change the plugs and filters. I would also check the compression (since the plugs are coming out anyway) to provide some insights as to the mechanical condition. Hopefully after this you will be running good at this point.

This is really long... sorry, but it's the only way I can describe the 2-stroke oddities that are part of how these boats work. Settle down with a cup of coffee and bear with me.

The 2-strokes (particularly the LS/LX series) are a little different than other boats... I want to clarify a few things before digging in and making you chase stuff that may not need to be chased.

Note: All RPM values I use are "guestimates". There will always be subtle differences for every one of these 2-stroke boats... my 4000 RPM may act like your 4300 RPM. If the numbers I quote below are a few hundred off of yours, don't sweat it. Once you get how these motors make their power, it'll all make sense.

First, if you ran on one engine faster than "no wake" speeds, you may have forced water up the exhaust into the non-running engine. Top priority is getting the water out if that happened. If it didn't happen, we get to deal with your 4000RPM issues.

For future reference... To get the water out... remove the plugs from that engine, remove the safety lanyard, crank the engine for about 20 seconds, watch oil gas and water spray all over the place. :) I understand you've managed to start and run the second engine... so you don't need to do this, it's already done. But, chances are very high that the spark plugs got fouled at least somewhat while burning off anything. Take them out again, check them, clean them, replace if they're nasty (I'd check both engines while you're in there). If the engine didn't get damaged, we get to tackle the 4000RPM issues now...

The LX/LS boats are weird. They will not run happily from 4000-5000 RPM. This is by design due to the tuned-port exhaust system and it's just the way they are. Before testing, clean out your air filter. Based on @holidayshoreslsboater1 symptoms, I think it's either wet or has too much oil in it. Once that's done, here's the test of whether or not you actually have a problem...

Run both engines up to 4000 RPM. This is probably enough to get on plane if the boat isn't overloaded. Once it's on plane and settled (or as much as it's going to get), goose the throttles and run her as far as she'll go on the tach (but don't go over whatever the max is). This shouldn't take more than a 30 seconds to get the RPMs up. Let them sit there at that max RPM for another 20 seconds or so, then back down to 5500 RPM. If it happily runs at that RPM and you can now smoothly throttle up to max and back on both engines (without goosing it), you probably don't have a problem.

If you back down the RPMs to 5000, it will start to run rough or just keep dropping the RPMs until it comes off the pipe (the exhaust sound changes drastically and suddenly). It will probably not run at 4500 RPM at all. It'll always try to slow down or speed up the RPMs in that middle range. This is normal for these boats... Don't run at that "middle range" that it doesn't like.

If that's not what happens with your boat, describe what happens when you try the test described above. Even better, have someone with a video camera sit in the front facing backwards and give us some video, or edit your profile to show your location and one of us might be able to come take a look at it. It's possible you hydro-locked it (tried to compress water in the pistons), but I don't think so based on your previous descriptions.

If you're not used to the tuned-port exhaust, it will seem broken because of that huge "dead spot" in the RPM range before it gets "on pipe". It's just the way tuned-port 2-strokes work.

I know this was long, but I just wanted to make sure you aren't fighting a problem that doesn't exist.

@smthng mentioned changing the air filter but I think he may have meant to say the fuel filter. The LS2000 does not have air filter(s).

@holidayshoreslsboater1 , I read your post described in a few threads and on other lesser forums. If your problem is that the one engine will not exceed 4000 RPM, you have a problem. My advice is to

1) change fuel filters if they have not been changed recently
2) change spark plugs on the bad engine. Cheap and a good step given this is a 2 stroke
3) check compression across all cylinders (possible problem with a cylinder)
4) check that all cylinders are firing (I described in other posts)
5) report back

@smthng mentioned changing the air filter but I think he may have meant to say the fuel filter. The LS2000 does not have air filter(s).

True, my bad.

@4x15mph has all good advice. I was going for cheap and easy testing before getting into the "if it's still not right" testing. On a 2-stroke, new plugs are always a good idea after any weird engine issues and compression testing is really the only way to be absolutely certain there's no damage from hydrolocking.

Back