• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2008 212x Built-in Ballast for Surfing....Is it enough?

bnreed3

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Has anyone tried JUST the 750lb internal ballast 100% full along with the wake wedge/wakebooster/jetwash deflector for surfing? Was it enough to go ropeless?

If you weigh 60 pounds and are surfing on an adult size board....yes. You need stern ballast....or fat friends in back....sorry....I meant "skinny challenged" friends....

If you weigh 60 pounds and are surfing on an adult size board....yes. You need stern ballast....or fat friends in back....sorry....I meant "skinny challenged" friends....

I'll just add that I replied to your other post and didn't know you were referring to internal ballast. 800 lbs on swimdeck surfside...ideally bury the back rubrail below water. If people put them all surfside to list the boat. That should be a decent wave with wedge adjusted right. Not sure where the internal ballast is located, but if you have bags on either side only fill up surfside....maybe center bag.

We surf with stock ballast on the port side (400 lbs) and the Wake Wedge every time we go out. We are just a bunch of hacks and not doing crazy tricks but the boat is enough. It is even easier now that we have moved to Texas and have more water under us.

I re-read your question. We do not have as much luck filling both bags to get the 800 lbs. I separated the tanks with valves and have the most success just filling the one port side.

This year I started using the 750lb fly high custom made bag for our transoms and fill it up a little over 3/4 full. It then is easy to roll to which ever surf side you want. I fill the front compartment with water and it just sloshes around which is fine. I only fill surf side internal bag and depending on how many people I have I can sometimes only fill it half way otherwise I can't get up to surf speed with engines maxed out at 10,200 rpms. The wave is very surf able however if your a bigger rider you need a bigger board to stay in the "pocket". I tried the jetboatpilot surf wash deflector and barely noticed a difference with it. I have yet to try the gatlin wedge. We surf both goofy and regular so switching back and forth with the wedge wouldn't be ideal. My take on it is that it cleans some of the wash up on the top of the wave but doesn't improve the size or length. As others have mentioned the key is to get as much weight as far back to surf side as possible and still be able to get up to 11mph. The more weight you put back there the taller your wave is and the more push it will have. Now to do tricks you need a longer wave and to get that you need weight up front too, so beside the water in my front compartment I usually put most people in the boat up front so I can hit 11mph maxed out.

Back