• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2014 AR210 - NADA accuracy

Simbasaj

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I found a used 2014 AR210 listed for $39,000. I've never purchased a boat before and I'm struggling to research what fair pricing is.

NADA suggests it should be around $30,000-$33,000. Is NADA typically accurate?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
NADA is good. That boat is over priced do to everything. I know there is not much around but I think you could to better in price for that year or get a more current model year for that price. I guess it depends on how bad you want a boat now rather than taking the chance of looking more and not finding one.

If the boat is solid and has decent hours on it and is mechanically sound, clean and well maintained, try offering in the NADA range or there about's and see what happens. You would definitely need to get a third party involved to do a once over on the boat and check everything.

For $7,000 more you are looking at a 2021/2022 AR210 give or take.

They are going a bit nuts with the pricing of used boats right now. Some have actually lost their minds, but people are still buying them it appears.

Sean R

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
If you are paying cash this won't apply. When I purchased my used 2020 212s my credit union used Nada as the base line for value. They wanted 10% down form the nada price if the seller wanted more than nada I would have had to put down 10% plus what ever was over nada. Fortunately that wasn't the case for me, asking price was lower than nada.

Doncore3000

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I found a used 2014 AR210 listed for $39,000. I've never purchased a boat before and I'm struggling to research what fair pricing is.

One thing to think about is used boats have higher interest rates and require more maintenance than a new boat, so it's imperative
that you score a good deal. After one year of owning my used boat my monthly expenses were about equal to what I would have been spending on a new boat payment. Plus I was spending more time wrenching on it than driving it. On the plus side I got it bellow NADA range so I'm on the home stretch to pay it off and I've learned a lot more about boat maintenance than I would've just putting gas and oil in it.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
One thing to think about is used boats have higher interest rates and require more maintenance than a new boat, so it's imperative
that you score a good deal. After one year of owning my used boat my monthly expenses were about equal to what I would have been spending on a new boat payment. Plus I was spending more time wrenching on it than driving it. On the plus side I got it bellow NADA range so I'm on the home stretch to pay it off and I've learned a lot more about boat maintenance than I would've just putting gas and oil in it.
HI, What kind of work did your boat need that ended up costing the same as a monthly payment for extended period?

I don't want to generalize my experience, but for me the boat has been quite reliable. Generally spend 10% or less of boat value every year on upgrades and parts, probably 3/4 of that is not required, just for fun expenses.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think NADA is good for baseline pricing if you have nothing else to go on like private sales of similar boats in your area. Kbb does not cover boats and my local dealer said they use “BUDS” a few years ago which is a system not available to the general public. That stated, the actual market will dictate the price. For example, a few weeks ago I could not find any used Yamaha jet boats on Craigslist in the SF Bay Area. A few weeks later I found four, all of them (that were not clearly scams) were priced 20% or more above nada, some were priced at or above their original selling price. Did the sellers actually get what they wanted? I don’t know but many of the boats are no longer listed for sale which leads me to believe they were sold. The pandemic had a big impact on supply and demand last season which seems to be continuing this season.

Doncore3000

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
HI, What kind of work did your boat need that ended up costing the same as a monthly payment for extended period?

I don't want to generalize my experience, but for me the boat has been quite reliable. Generally spend 10% or less of boat value every year on upgrades and parts, probably 3/4 of that is not required, just for fun expenses.
Impeller housing, Trailer axels/brakes/bunks/actuator/lights/tires, steering helm unit, engine insulation, engine hatch struts, 2 speakers were blown but it was a welcomed chance to upgrade, Bilge pump, full bimini assembly, mooring cover, depth finder, Captains seat pedestal/ 2 soft spot fiberglass repairs on deck hatch & fuel tank hatch, Stainless steel scupper. Plus electronic upgrades like Garmin echomap, Kenwood amp, and Sony stereo head unit. And a lot of other small repairs that don't cost much but do add to the tally, according to my wife. About half the list were known/suspected issues when I bought it, and half was a surprise learning experience. All that plus terms of used loan are shorter with higher rates gave my budget that new boat feel without the new boat smell.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Interesting. I've had a 2008 for 4 years now, and I've had similar experience with most of the items listed, but you have a few that are big ticket items I did not expect. You also don't list FNR cables which I needed to replace on mine. I also had to redo upholstery. I also replaced the pump bearings and the pumps are much quieter now.

After doing the math on mine, even paying double on what I have repaired since I purchased I am very far from new boat prices, so the equation worked for me. Sorry it feels off for you, but It's good to have and see every perspective.

Surprised by:
steering helm unit,
Captains seat pedestal (Although I did change mine to a longer one)
full bimini assembly

Expected on 12 year old boat:
Trailer axels/brakes/bunks/actuator/lights/tires,
Impeller housing, (Salt water swelling? what happened?)
engine insulation,
engine hatch struts,
2 speakers were blown but it was a welcomed chance to upgrade,
Bilge pump,
mooring cover,
depth finder, (Mine just failed)
Stainless steel scupper.

Bummer, but not surprising for age, I'll need to do mine next winter:
2 soft spot fiberglass repairs on deck hatch & fuel tank hatch,

Fun to have:
Plus electronic upgrades like Garmin echomap, Kenwood amp, and Sony stereo head unit.

I had another boat for 13 years so I'm used to things breaking and needing more help due to the more extreme operational environment of boats (and crappy quality of some OEM components selected, such as the scupper) If it's any consolation new boats generally tend to need a little shake down before all is totally perfect.

Hope the tide turns for you and you start feeling like you got yours money's worth.

Last edited:

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

I have mentioned this to many others that question NADA. And the ones that question it the most are usually sellers, so that tells me they are low.

But in all actuality, these numbers are based on actual sales by zipcode in dealerships. So a seller has seen all these crazy asking pricings online and will not admit that they are actually selling for less than asking. Of course they are. That being said, the NADA value on the boat is crazy high in comparison to what it was 18 months ago. But NADA is actually reflecting closing prices.

Other things that sellers ignore in NADA is that big asterisk that is behind every yamaha boat. TRAILER INCLUDED as they all came with either a painted or galvanized trailer, other than the 275 series.

Many will also add in "option" that are not optional on a Yamaha boat. In fact, the options are pretty limited once you pick a model. And that's the type of trailer. Bimini, Stereo, Lights etc are all standard.

And add on items are only of value if the buyer planned on putting them in as well. Nobody should be going beyond the base values in NADA, unless they can document the upgrades and the buyer puts value in it. $4000 in JL audio is nice, but would the buyer rather have had his stereo shop install it, and is it still worth $4000 three years later?

What I love are the guys that put hundreds of dollars of value on a pile of orange yoke lifejackets and a pair of water skis that are dry rotted from not touching water in 10 years. HA!!

Use it as a guide, but not the bible. Good luck

Doncore3000

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Interesting. I've had a 2008 for 4 years now, and I've had similar experience with most of the items listed, but you have a few that are big ticket items I did not expect. You also don't list FNR cables which I needed to replace on mine. I also had to redo upholstery. I also replaced the pump bearings and the pumps are much quieter now.

After doing the math on mine, even paying double on what I have repaired since I purchased I am very far from new boat prices, so the equation worked for me. Sorry it feels off for you, but It's good to have and see every perspective.

Surprised by:
steering helm unit,
Captains seat pedestal (Although I did change mine to a longer one)
full bimini assembly

Expected on 12 year old boat:
Trailer axels/brakes/bunks/actuator/lights/tires,
Impeller housing, (Salt water swelling? what happened?)
engine insulation,
engine hatch struts,
2 speakers were blown but it was a welcomed chance to upgrade,
Bilge pump,
mooring cover,
depth finder, (Mine just failed)
Stainless steel scupper.

Bummer, but not surprising for age, I'll need to do mine next winter:
2 soft spot fiberglass repairs on deck hatch & fuel tank hatch,

Fun to have:
Plus electronic upgrades like Garmin echomap, Kenwood amp, and Sony stereo head unit.

I had another boat for 13 years so I'm used to things breaking and needing more help due to the more extreme operational environment of boats (and crappy quality of some OEM components selected, such as the scupper) If it's any consolation new boats generally tend to need a little shake down before all is totally perfect.

Hope the tide turns for you and you start feeling like you got yours money's worth.
Don't get me wrong, I still see the value in buying used it's just not as cheap as I made it seem in my mind. Also not as cheap as I told my wife it would be, at least in the first 2 years as I get it right. I never even considered a new boat with those prices until I was talking to a sales guy last year, he was pushing hard for me to trade up, and with the length of those loans plus super low interest rates he almost had me. If it wasn't for the 2 kids in high school and one in college that shiny new boat would've been sitting in my driveway right now.

My 212X wasn't cared for as well as a lot of the boats the same age that I see on this sight. Unfortunately I didn't stumble on to this forum until after the purchase. I still got a good price but I could've done better if I was armed with the knowledge I've gained here.

The impeller housing swelled and started grinding before my maiden voyage and I believe that was how I found this forum. Just bad luck that it didn't happen a few weeks before when the seller was showing me how good it runs. The bimini seemed like a minor inconvenience until the Deamon Sun assaulted us on our maiden voyage. Even worse was the sticker shock after I did a price check on OEM assembly, Yikes! The depth finder was intermittent so it was hard to trust if it was going to be working when you need it. I forgot to mention the FNR cables, and the ballast system was trashed, but that project is waaaay on the back burner, I use the boat in Tampa Bay mostly and it's a little rough on most days for wakeboarding. There's a lake not too far from me but you have to be pretty comfortable with Gators. Throttle

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

This is what I get for NADA in my zipcode.....as other have said, you have to use BASE value only on these Yamahas as the trailer is included.

1620336200309.png

adamncincy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Simbasaj yeah, just like others said ... that's crazy. Unless it's gold plated, this seller is out of control. I don't know where you are, but I found a MUCH better deal in FL VS the Midwest or NE.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Simbasaj yeah, just like others said ... that's crazy. Unless it's gold plated, this seller is out of control. I don't know where you are, but I found a MUCH better deal in FL VS the Midwest or NE.
The two biggest differences between FL boats and Midwest boats are 1. Saltwater 2. hours

Saltwater is not an issue if the boat was cared for and properly flushed
Hours are relative to care as well. On average a midwest boat will have less hours just due to the short season. Hours are not calculated on NADA, other than you have to factor it in between average and low retail. It's truly a judgement call.

adamncincy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@biffdotorg agree and understand ... Indy for instance a couple was asking $6k+ above NADA. Love the idea of fresh water and lower hours, but it gets to a point where one could throw some navy jelly, put in the hard work, replace what has deteriorated, etc., etc. and save literally thousands. Crazy considering it's a quarter of the boat's value.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@biffdotorg agree and understand ... Indy for instance a couple was asking $6k+ above NADA. Love the idea of fresh water and lower hours, but it gets to a point where one could throw some navy jelly, put in the hard work, replace what has deteriorated, etc., etc. and save literally thousands. Crazy considering it's a quarter of the boat's value.
100% agree. I bought ours from a member here out of South Carolina. It was well cared for and was easy to put in the work to clean it up. And I know it appreciates being in the freshwater of MN, albeit much colder water.

adamncincy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@biffdotorg from Cincy, but lived in Minneapolis for ~3 years. Live in the Uptown/Lake Calhoun area. Great city!