• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2014 Yamaha 242 Limited S questions

Caldwella2000

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hi folks I recently bought a 2014 Yamaha 242 Limited S. I love the boat but have a few questions. Today after pulling a tube for a while at 5,000 RPMs and then moving to idle to pull the rope in I noticed some exhaust smoke coming from near the jet nozzles at the very back edge of the boat. Is this normal? It seems to clear fast and I'm not getting any trouble. Oil levels look fine.

Also, I have a clarion audio system. I can't get the Bluetooth to show up as
discoverable even when I turn it to Aux 2 like the manual instructs. I'm thinking it may be a blown fuse.

Lastly when in idle I will intermittently have the right engine go off. Turn it back on and it starts fine. The dealer I bought it from suggested the safety switch under the back hatch by the plugs may need adjusted up...that the wake in neutral may be causing it to move slightly and thus cutting the engine off. Thoughts?

Thanks for any help or input.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
welcome, you may get more exposure by posting in the GENERAL forum

1 smoke is perfectly normal
2 BT,..i don't think the clarion units have bluetooth unless you have added it afterwards could be different for 242 but likely not
3 clean out hatch can cause the right engine to go off as you step through over and over the center of the hatch will bow down and outer edge will bow up causing more room for the switch to wiggle. you can stick soemthing on the lid to push down the switch further.

Caldwella2000

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

1 smoke is perfectly normal
2 BT,..i don't think the clarion units have bluetooth unless you have added it afterwards could be different for 242 but likely not
3 clean out hatch can cause the right engine to go off as you step through over and over the center of the hatch will bow down and outer edge will bow up causing more room for the switch to wiggle. you can stick soemthing on the lid to push down the switch further.
Thank you very much! I was able to find others complaining of a similar engine cut-off problem on the hatch online but your explanation of how it happens is the most robust. Thanks again!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

mrlanemeyer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

2 BT,..i don't think the clarion units have bluetooth unless you have added it afterwards could be different for 242 but likely not.
There's a Bluetooth sticker on mine. Whether it works or not I don't know. I've never tried.

Markk

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have same boat, same model. I never could get my Bluetooth to show up. I bought an aftermarket JL Audio Bluetooth module. While wiring it up I found the factory module. It's there, just didn't have power. Look behind your helm for module and verify it has power.

Caldwella2000

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thank you. Is sliding the helm out pretty easy? Just trade the screws out and slide it out?

Caldwella2000

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Here's a new question. My left throttle seems a little loose compared to the right throttle. When I go all the way down my right engine pulls up to 7K+ RPMs but the left only goes to 6k+. I have the extended YES warranty. I understand from the manual that the throttles can be in slightly different positions to get the same RPMs but don't think I should get less out of one engine.

Thoughts?

Markk

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thank you. Is sliding the helm out pretty easy? Just trade the screws out and slide it out?
You access helm(or back of stereo) from door under windshield starboard side.

Caldwella2000

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The switches under the hatch are easy to adjust...just raise the button up to prevent it from engaging when the hatch is closed.
Julian, how do you adjust the buttons under the hatch up?

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length